Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Someone above is telling us you can't get the app for a smart tv. Just use your internet browser on the tv and point it to kayosports.com.au. Note that my tv isn't a smart tv, which is why I have it connected to my PC.

I have the android app on my phone but it needs to use wifi.
Just some clarification. I didn't realise there's a settings thingy in the app where you can choose to run on wifi only or sim and wifi. Obviously default must be wifi only. Changed it to sim and wifi and it runs on the mobile sim acct.

Eddie Van Halen

Team Captain
Oct 28, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
HNS, Melbourne Knights, Rijeka
I used HDipTV. $20 month and I get 7,000 channels including the (NFL, AFL, NHL, Rugby, NBA, UFC, MLB,) sports packages and every channel 7,9,10, GO, etc from every city in Australia, (Useful for Perth residents to get all the footy shows at a decent hour) plus every channel from the cable channels in the US and UK and a massive bank of on demand movies and tv shows. I download the android app on my Sony Bravia, log it in, and off I go with no streaming issues.

I'm interested and intrigued by this.
I checked the website and it looks pretty good.
What are your experiences with it? Good pic quality? Streaming issues? For $20 a month I don't think you could go wrong?
Positives/negatives??

I remember reading that Kayo are developing apps for Smart TV's alongside their Console apps. They're currently working on a PS4 App, Xbox One App (although can watch Kayo via Edge browser currently) as well as apps for Samsung and LG TV's.

I wasn't overly confident, at first, since these manufacturers use in-house OS's rather than using Android TV, but Kayo said their market share was too large to ignore. Provided that they make these apps well, and in a timely manner, this service could be exactly what we've been wanting for years; if not better.
Hmmm that's exciting.

If Samsung make an app, I'm in.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
I'm interested and intrigued by this.
I checked the website and it looks pretty good.
What are your experiences with it? Good pic quality? Streaming issues? For $20 a month I don't think you could go wrong?
Positives/negatives??

Picture quality is excellent and usually no streaming issues. Some channels will go down for a few hours, but I guess when you have 7000 channels streaming, thats a hazard you have to deal with. I have had no issues with sports channels though. Downsides are some of the on demand stuff doesn't work, and the catch up tv doesn't work most of the time. But for live sports, can't go wrong. Think there is a free trial, and if not, throw $20 at it, see how it goes, and if it ain't up to par, just cancel.

I assume ps4 has a browser? Use that in the meantime. I'm using Edge browser on Xbox One, works great. Apps for ps4 & xbox on the way.
I've tried through PS4 browser and it doesn't load any video.

Hmmm that's exciting.

If Samsung make an app, I'm in.

I’m the same (albeit for an LG). I’ve been watching the Telstra Mobile AFL stream on my TV via Kodi, but this isn’t a great solution (in terms of quality and ease of use). So being able to just switch the TV on and access the footy and all other sports in one app would be immense.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I do, my old laptop is permanently connected to my tv by HDMI.
Ultimate consumerist listings here, but I've got a TV with apps and a PS4. Just seems stupid and archaic that I have to use my shitty, overheating laptop. The vast majority of sport is something I don't care enough about to just focus right in on; but in the background, it's great fun.

The other thing that annoys me about this is the layout.

You can watch live TV but there's no guide? There's all sorts of live sports on, or about to be on, but you have to keep clicking to see what it is. Instead there's all these archived games from last night or Essendon - Adelaide from 1993 on there.

There should be a bar at the top of all current live sports, ordered in your preference. Then one of upcoming games in general, ones you have starred in the next few days, whatever in the next one. Below should be all that archived horseshit. Then have the bottom feature a TV guide and all current live stations.

I don't know, it's just a bit clunky to me. Why can't I click on Bucks - Rockets and see that it's coming tomorrow at 9am? Why can't I see that the darts and skiing are live but in half an hour, there's a French cup game?

Last edited:

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Yeah the lack of a tv guide for the channels is equally mystifying and annoying. I've had to bookmark Fox's tv guide to save clicking on the channels to see what's on.

From what I can tell everything currently live always shows up in the top bar for me though, which is good.

Eddie Van Halen

Team Captain
Oct 28, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
HNS, Melbourne Knights, Rijeka
Picture quality is excellent and usually no streaming issues. Some channels will go down for a few hours, but I guess when you have 7000 channels streaming, thats a hazard you have to deal with. I have had no issues with sports channels though. Downsides are some of the on demand stuff doesn't work, and the catch up tv doesn't work most of the time. But for live sports, can't go wrong. Think there is a free trial, and if not, throw $20 at it, see how it goes, and if it ain't up to par, just cancel.

Will do. Thanks for the info.

redglare

Team Captain
Sep 24, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast
I haven't tried Kayo yet, but I do have a foxtel subscription that includes sports, and importantly the "multi-room" feature. This is a lot more expensive than Kayo, unless you or someone you know already has foxtel.. By paying for the multi-room (extra ~$25 per month) you can stream Foxtel Go to a Chromecast, or use the same devices as for Kayo, and you can do this on up to 5 devices.

I use this to stream to my old chromecast on my second TV and it has worked great sofar - I suspect the technology is the same as Kayo, but don't know for sure.

Not sure if this has already been covered, but once you start "casting" from your phone, the chromecast connects directly to the internet and your phone is no longer involved - at least not until you change channels or pause of something.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I have cancelled my foxtel and will be sending my IQ4 box back next week....dont let me down Kayo!!!

Prepared to take a slight hit in PQ to be able to watch it on my other TV where I dont have foxtel.

Do they actually want IQ boxes returned? I’m about to cancel Foxtel but I believe they don’t want the IQ box and they won’t take down the satellite dish.

ToddaRools

Team Captain
Jan 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Will the GF be shown on Kayo? And if so will it be in 4K?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
I have a mate who has Kayo and a normal chromecast to stream, says it works perfectly however on their site it says you need chromecast ultra? Can anyone shed some light on this? If it streams better on ultra than happy to get this however don’t want to spend the extra if I don’t need to.

Back