Player Watch #11: Jason Castagna - signed to 2023

Should Castagna be dropped for the Port game after his 2 disposal effort vs the Swans?

• Yes - for Cumberland

• Yes - for anyone

• No

• Make him Sub

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Soldo looks to be improving and Balta is a Godsend. Grigg has an injury, anyway

Does George hold his spot in the best 22? His intensity and speed would be welcome given its a bigger team now
I think George plays if fit. As much as he has some weaknesses with composure and finishing, he's still just a 22 year old pressure small forward, who's kicked 26 goals two years in a row. That's pretty handy.

Interesting stats in yesterday's paper.
Charlie Cameron 60 goals in his first 50 games, Jade Gresham 58 in first 50 games, Eddie Betts 51 in 50 games, George, 54 in his first 50 games. Not bad for a bloke who can't kick.

that he's been able to do this despite some inefficient kicking is a real testament to his work rate/capacity to get to the right spots, and potential upside. he can frustrate, no doubt, but if he cleans up his finishing a little, he'll quickly become one of the best pressure forwards in the league and we'll be laughing. question of 'if', though. could be interesting coming off a limited pre-season too.

Soldo looks to be improving and Balta is a Godsend. Grigg has an injury, anyway

Does George hold his spot in the best 22? His intensity and speed would be welcome given its a bigger team now
We haven't lost any players from last year, and we've added a few in Lynch, Balta, Markov, Weller, Ross and there are developing players playing VFL. Getting injured has always been hard for borderline players like Castagna. He was not borderline last year due to being quite good in the air and just playing Jack and Caddy. Now he possibly has to add some strings to his bow like Rioli is doing. He and Butler might be slogging it out, I'd go with George, but he is behind Butler due to injury and will come back via the VFL.

georgie is the perfect small forward in that he is quick, 'dynamic' and can create chances from nothing. a lot of his errors come from him being in positions to score that most players wouldnt be able to get into in the first place. he is the perfect example of the 'make a chance out of nothing' type of player. for that, he is worth having in the team, although you cant have too many of that type.

contrast that to butler who isnt as good at making chances out of nothing, but is much more skilful and better at playing in a more conventional style, and is therefore much more efficient with the ball. i think thats why they compliment each other so well and why they arent as good when the other isnt playing. both are best 22 for mine.

georgie is the perfect small forward in that he is quick, 'dynamic' and can create chances from nothing. a lot of his errors come from him being in positions to score that most players wouldnt be able to get into in the first place. he is the perfect example of the 'make a chance out of nothing' type of player. for that, he is worth having in the team, although you cant have too many of that type.

contrast that to butler who isnt as good at making chances out of nothing, but is much more skilful and better at playing in a more conventional style, and is therefore much more efficient with the ball. i think thats why they compliment each other so well and why they arent as good when the other isnt playing. both are best 22 for mine.

Well said; I too would find a spot for all the small brigade - George, Butler, Rioli, Higgins, Caddy, Edwards, Lambert...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like all our small forwards - George, Butler and Rioli. I honestly think Butler is potentially the best of the lot, but there seems to be some application issue - not sure what. His skills and decision-making can be sublime.

At the moment, George is ahead of him.

Of that 3 Rioli is well ahead ain’t even close

Needs to bridge the gap between his best and worst for mine. Can be very damaging on occasion but can go weeks without really impacting.
Think her's done well to this point but I'd have Rioli, Butler, Higgins and possibly Bolton (eventually) ahead of him.

I reckon he’s tried that a few times and completely missed everything ,,,,only George lol , ffs

He’s probably at the point where he is in his own head too much just needs to practice one technique (whatever he feels most comfortable with) and practice the s**t out of it so it becomes mussle memory

In theory the new rules would suit someone like Castagna in terms of ball getting as he should have more one on one aerial opportunities. But equally the new rules will likely punish his lack of polish when disposing of the ball. For this reason I think he needs to develop better composure ball in hand or the more deadly types like Butler and Bolton will out compete him. Higgins another who will need to improve his set shots.

Needs to bridge the gap between his best and worst for mine. Can be very damaging on occasion but can go weeks without really impacting.
Think her's done well to this point but I'd have Rioli, Butler, Higgins and possibly Bolton (eventually) ahead of him.
What's his worst? What about Buttler and Riolis worst? Bolton? Lol. Hasn't shown squat.

we are gonna take a shitload of marks inside 50 if we have george jiewoldt lynch and caddy running around in the f50 on the 666 centre bounces

just gonna kick goal after goal against s**t teams

Interesting stats in yesterday's paper.
Charlie Cameron 60 goals in his first 50 games, Jade Gresham 58 in first 50 games, Eddie Betts 51 in 50 games, George, 54 in his first 50 games. Not bad for a bloke who can't kick.
that he's been able to do this despite some inefficient kicking is a real testament to his work rate/capacity to get to the right spots, and potential upside. he can frustrate, no doubt, but if he cleans up his finishing a little, he'll quickly become one of the best pressure forwards in the league and we'll be laughing. question of 'if', though. could be interesting coming off a limited pre-season too.

Kind of like a 'Midget Richo'

Back