Preview 2018 Goodbye (To 2019) New; Preseason Discussion

What will happen between now and Round 1?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No-one is coming to take Schofield or Montgomery.

St Kilda poached Richardson because they felt that they were in the same boat as Port Adelaide circa 2013 and wanted him to steer them. His results have been nothing but mediocre. But Richardson had the runs on the board as a senior assistant at Collingwood beforehand.

Adelaide poached Walsh because they primarily wanted to weaken Port Adelaide after 2014. His performances as a senior coach showed that he was a great tactician but when things went wrong he didn't have any real moves. Pyke is a better coach than him IMO. Again, Walsh had the runs on the board as a senior assistant beforehand.

GWS took Nicks because they needed a coach who could teach them full field defensive systems now that their super list has been decimated and they are just like every other club. He was also a senior assistant for two years.

The common denominator is that all those coaches were senior assistants at one point or another. Schofield and Montgomery have never been one, so no one is going to pull them out of line coaching and put them into a situation that they have no idea about. You're talking about handing the reins of a multimillion dollar investment to someone with no experience at the top level.

It’s not going to happen. Just like either assistant getting the lion’s share of the credit for any surge isn’t going to happen anywhere but on this board.

No-one is coming to take Schofield or Montgomery.

St Kilda poached Richardson because they felt that they were in the same boat as Port Adelaide circa 2013 and wanted him to steer them. His results have been nothing but mediocre. But Richardson had the runs on the board as a senior assistant at Collingwood beforehand.

Adelaide poached Walsh because they primarily wanted to weaken Port Adelaide after 2014. His performances as a senior coach showed that he was a great tactician but when things went wrong he didn't have any real moves. Pyke is a better coach than him IMO. Again, Walsh had the runs on the board as a senior assistant beforehand.

GWS took Nicks because they needed a coach who could teach them full field defensive systems now that their super list has been decimated and they are just like every other club. He was also a senior assistant for two years.

The common denominator is that all those coaches were senior assistants at one point or another. Schofield and Montgomery have never been one, so no one is going to pull them out of line coaching and put them into a situation that they have no idea about. You're talking about handing the reins of a multimillion dollar investment to someone with no experience at the top level.

It’s not going to happen. Just like either assistant getting the lion’s share of the credit for any surge isn’t going to happen anywhere but on this board.

Schofield has extensive experience as a senior coach at WAFL level. The skills for that role are far more transferrable to an AFL senior coaching gig than an AFL assistant coach (senior or otherwise).

Schofield has extensive experience as a senior coach at WAFL level. The skills for that role are far more transferrable to an AFL senior coaching gig than an AFL assistant coach (senior or otherwise).

Who was the last AFL coach to make the jump from state league coaching to 1-2 years as AFL assistant to AFL senior coach? Has it happened in the last 5-10 years? I genuinely don't know. The skills may well be more transferrable than those of an AFL assistant but that doesn't seem to matter all that much in practice when hiring an AFL coach.

No they aren’t. The WAFL isn’t a professional set up. There’s more to being a head coach than just coaching, and there is infinitely more pressure on an AFL coach that has to perform every week in front of 50k fans than there is on the coach that only has to perform in front of 2k.

An AFL assistant knows how to work in the group dynamic on game day with stats being fed in real time. He knows how to work under pressure, knows how to convey his message to the players, knows how to code, go through game reviews with each player individually etc.

At the end of his contract, sure, Schofield might be considered. But not after a year.

No they aren’t. The WAFL isn’t a professional set up. There’s more to being a head coach than just coaching, and there is infinitely more pressure on an AFL coach that has to perform every week in front of 50k fans than there is on the coach that only has to perform in front of 2k.

An AFL assistant knows how to work in the group dynamic on game day with stats being fed in real time. He knows how to work under pressure, knows how to convey his message to the players, knows how to code, go through game reviews with each player individually etc.

At the end of his contract, sure, Schofield might be considered. But not after a year.

He was quite highly sought after as an assistant both the crows and WCE were keen on getting him, if he performs well at AFL level opposition clubs may very well make a play for him.

Who was the last AFL coach to make the jump from state league coaching to 1-2 years as AFL assistant to AFL senior coach? Has it happened in the last 5-10 years? I genuinely don't know. The skills may well be more transferrable than those of an AFL assistant but that doesn't seem to matter all that much in practice when hiring an AFL coach.
Clarkson.
Centrals 2001 win GF 2002 lose GF
Port - assistant 2003, 2004
Hawks coach 2004-2019+

Hasn't happened since. Chris Scott had 3 years at Freo as assistant, retired 2007, before he got the Geelong gig.

Clarkson.
Centrals 2001 win GF 2002 lose GF
Port - assistant 2003, 2004
Hawks coach 2004-2019+

Hasn't happened since. Chris Scott had 3 years at Freo as assistant, retired 2007, before he got the Geelong gig.

And Port was top of the ladder in 03 and 04 before Clarkson got the gig at Hawthorn.

Port would need to finish top two years in a row for anyone to look at Schofield seriously.

And Port was top of the ladder in 03 and 04 before Clarkson got the gig at Hawthorn.

Port would need to finish top two years in a row for anyone to look at Schofield seriously.

Whilst I mostly agree, I think the last comment is a bit extreme. He was being scoped by other AFL teams for years. In terms of senior coach role, absolutely. Not enough evidence at the highest level for that yet. However he's got such a good base reputation that if we had a few good years he could honestly be pilfered for a senior role.

That said, that won't happen. He'll be around for a long time. I think he'll be great, but we'll see after his second year. I won't be looking too much into his first. Adjustments take time.

Whilst I mostly agree, I think the last comment is a bit extreme. He was being scoped by other AFL teams for years. In terms of senior coach role, absolutely. Not enough evidence at the highest level for that yet. However he's got such a good base reputation that if we had a few good years he could honestly be pilfered for a senior role.

That said, that won't happen. He'll be around for a long time. I think he'll be great, but we'll see after his second year. I won't be looking too much into his first. Adjustments take time.

People were talking about him being poached if we rise up the ladder this year. In a few years, sure - but in a few years I expect him to be the head coach of Port if he’s any good.

People were talking about him being poached if we rise up the ladder this year. In a few years, sure - but in a few years I expect him to be the head coach of Port if he’s any good.

He won't uproot the family a second time in 12 months or so in any case. They're moving here to stay for some time I believe.

I agree ..
Don't think Jarrad will go anywhere. Taj Schofield will be available as father/son for Port in 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are selling the WAFL ridiculously short to suggest all of those coaching tools aren't utilised in that environment. A WAFL coach is a full time job, even if the players aren't.

As for pressure, Schofield played 200 AFL games including a grand final win, I reckon he can deal with pressure.

There's no reason he couldn't be a senior AFL coach right now.

You are selling the WAFL ridiculously short to suggest all of those coaching tools aren't utilised in that environment. A WAFL coach is a full time job, even if the players aren't.

As for pressure, Schofield played 200 AFL games including a grand final win, I reckon he can deal with pressure.

There's no reason he couldn't be a senior AFL coach right now.

You`re missing the point. It`s not about whether he`s capable, it`s about whether an AFL club will take a risk on someone who hasn`t been in the AFL system.

You`re missing the point. It`s not about whether he`s capable, it`s about whether an AFL club will take a risk on someone who hasn`t been in the AFL system.

Then we agree because no AFL club would dream of doing it.

Why are we worried about a guy being poached who has only been here for 5 mins?

Are we that insecure these days?

Well, as a wise man once said - "Kirk Pengilly's botox and anal bleaching doesn't come cheap."

Does black beetle cause dry dead patches?

Yep. Initially I thought it was just my female Beagles piss causing the dead spots, but then when I went on holiday it had deteriorated very quickly by the time I got back. I assumed it hadn't been watered enough but the inlaws said they watered it and that it had rained a lot while I was gone, so I got a bit nervous about it. Plus I had seen a few around the place.

Then this morning I was policing all the dog s**t for the mower man to come today, and underneath all of them there were 3-4 black beetles having a good time. I was like "you're nicked m8. Lower limb beetle holocaust machine incoming."

Alastair Clarkson wasn't poached as such. He was part of an extensive interview process that included around 10 candidates. Preferred candidates Rodney Eade (Bulldogs) and Terry Wallace (Richmond) took jobs at other clubs while the Hawks job was still open. Gary Ayres was also interviewed but Clarkson was preferred which surprised some.

Clarkson was also an assistant coach at St Kilda in 1999 and senior coach of Werribee in 2000 before taking on Centrals in 2001.

Back