Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
640894-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Caption this photo
I'll just.
640894-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Caption this photo
It's ok, Richo. I've got this. Run along now, there's a good chap.

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
I must admit to cringing at times when I see Richo on 360. And then I read a few times that some opposition fans quite like him and think he makes great sense. Didn’t know what to make of it then. Still don’t.

I’m in the camp that hopes Richo does really well this year too. Maybe we are too close to it, and too sensitive.

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I must admit to cringing at times when I see Richo on 360. And then I read a few times that some opposition fans quite like him and think he makes great sense. Didn’t know what to make of it then. Still don’t.

I’m in the camp that hopes Richo does really well this year too. Maybe we are too close to it, and too sensitive.
I’ve had that comment made to me numerous times.
Unfortunately this place sometimes can become an echo chamber and we get way too insular.
Some of his commentary, particularly in the second half of last season, was spot on.
His observations about Freeman, and what he needed to do to be selected, is one that comes to mind.
Having said that, if we wanted a coach with presentation skills above coaching, we couldn’t do worse than employ the hollowman named Terry Wallace.

You’re spot on...I think some of it is definitely a case of “the eye of the beholder,” regarding Richo’s stint on the tv.

So many Cats fans cannot bear Chris Scott ( although I think he presents quite well) and don’t rate his coaching nor his TV appearances. He did land bum in the butter with a brilliant team who could have coached themselves to a premiership, but has possibly underachieved all the years since with some incredibly good players at his disposal.
Of course I’m talking in terms of winning more flags obviously as they have constantly been making finals.

Anyway, I do think two years on 360 was enough for Richo and, much like they did with Bucks for fear he may be sacked mid season, I don’t think they’ll risk having Richo on board this year.

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
You’re spot on...I think some of it is definitely a case of “the eye of the beholder,” regarding Richo’s stint on the tv.

So many Cats fans cannot bear Chris Scott ( although I think he presents quite well) and don’t rate his coaching nor his TV appearances. He did land bum in the butter with a brilliant team who could have coached themselves to a premiership, but has possibly underachieved all the years since with some incredibly good players at his disposal.
Of course I’m talking in terms of winning more flags obviously as they have constantly been making finals.

Anyway, I do think two years on 360 was enough for Richo and, much like they did with Bucks for fear he may be sacked mid season, I don’t think they’ll risk having Richo on board this year.
Probably time for someone else. Very difficult year for him on that show with us playing so poorly.

360 need to refresh all their coaches and players. 3 years of Chriss Scott is enough. 2 years of Richo was enough. And it was time to get rid of Jordan Lewis years ago.

couldnt agree more. i'd love to hear more from buckley tbh and also clarko

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
couldnt agree more. i'd love to hear more from buckley tbh and also clarko
I'm a bit sick of Buckley too. He did a 30min segment on SEN with Gerard every week plus the constant replaying of every press conference and small interview he did. I just get sick of the same person saying the same thing over and over again. There isn't a single coach in the AFL I need to hear from that regularly. They should swap those longer segments around, maybe rotate between 2 or 3 sets of guests or even include some assistant coaches instead of the same 2-3 people.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
So I just had a coffee with a mate who's had 40 odd years in commercial finance and business.

Also a Saints fan.

Naturally the conversation turned to the club. I asked him if in his opinion, Finnis is any good.

Interesting point was made that under the stewardship of Summers and Finnis, the club leveraged $5m and converted it into a $45m to $50m state of the art facility at Moorabbin. Pure genius.

Debt isn't an issue as long as you service it and pay it down.

What they have effectively done is set the club up for the next 50 years with a home base and solid foundations.

Said that anyone that doesn't understand the significance and magnitude of the move back to Linton St has NFI about where the club is heading.

Admittedly I've never looked at it in that way before.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm a bit sick of Buckley too. He did a 30min segment on SEN with Gerard every week plus the constant replaying of every press conference and small interview he did. I just get sick of the same person saying the same thing over and over again. There isn't a single coach in the AFL I need to hear from that regularly. They should swap those longer segments around, maybe rotate between 2 or 3 sets of guests or even include some assistant coaches instead of the same 2-3 people.
Have to agree there Brutus

How many times do you need the same stuff over and over?

That's why i don't watch footy shows anymore.

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
So I just had a coffee with a mate who's had 40 odd years in commercial finance and business.

Also a Saints fan.

Naturally the conversation turned to the club. I asked him if in his opinion, Finnis is any good.

Interesting point was made that under the stewardship of Summers and Finnis, the club leveraged $5m and converted it into a $45m to $50m state of the art facility at Moorabbin. Pure genius.

What they have effectively done is set the club up for the next 50 years with a home base and solid foundations.

Said that anyone that doesn't understand the significance and magnitude of the move back to Linton St has NFI about where the club is heading.

Your mate is very astute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

Also a Saints fan.

That’s great to hear. Hopefully the club can get on the front foot a bit more about our true $ position and future. Winning a few games would make that messaging easier in fairness.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Your mate is very astute.
I think it's something that either gets lost or diluted on the day to day events.

We have always been on the brink financially, so in terms of a proper home base where we can rebuild that sense of belonging like the late 60's is great to see.

You can change the coach and board as often as you want, but if you end up like Fitzroy, it matters for nought.

And when you look at Fraser and Netters, Finnis is the 2nd coming of LJC...

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.

Also a Saints fan.

Very interesting observation, VDS66. It makes sense when you look at the overall strategy Summers and Finnis set in place after they met with Costa and the Geelong crew. The advice went along the lines of:
1. Getting out of the stadium deal was a priority as the club would never thrive under the deal as it was then.
2. Get your own state of the art facility. A strong home and local presence in the Bayside to leverage members, sponsors, supporters and attract players.
3. Stability in the coaching ranks. They were talking about Bomber taking 7 years to get it done and finished poorly in 2006 (11th). Maybe they were hoping AR would become another Bomber. The premiership coach, not the drug addled bike moll.

There were numerous other points raised in the media about that surprising meeting. The first two have been achieved. The third is a case of wait and see. Let's hope it's 3 from 3 after 2019.

Just for achieving the first two, Finnis deserves some kudos.

Also a Saints fan.

i do wonder if it will help us service the debt or renegotiate better terms given the increase in assets. Joffaboy is that possible? is that what the dogs did?

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Very interesting observation, VDS66. It makes sense when you look at the overall strategy Summers and Finnis set in place after they met with Costa and the Geelong crew. The advice went along the lines of:
1. Getting out of the stadium deal was a priority as the club would never thrive under the deal as it was then.
2. Get your own state of the art facility. A strong home and local presence in the Bayside to leverage members, sponsors, supporters and attract players.
3. Stability in the coaching ranks. They were talking about Bomber taking 7 years to get it done and finished poorly in 2006 (11th). Maybe they were hoping AR would become another Bomber. The premiership coach, not the drug addled bike moll.

There were numerous other points raised in the media about that surprising meeting. The first two have been achieved. The third is a case of wait and see. Let's hope it's 3 from 3 after 2019.

Just for achieving the first two, Finnis deserves some kudos.
next step seriously has to be either a stand alone VFL team or a take over of Sandy.

Our development path is s**t, and I'm being generous.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Same applies to governments, except there's actually no need for them to pay it down because they can always service it. As long as they build productive capacity with it then it's fine.

The issue with us is we need a business plan that not only allows us to pay it down, but also channel extra funds into our footy department.

As was pointed out, being debt free isn't so great. If you are borrowing to pay weekly bills, then yes it's poison.

But by paying it down, it gives us capacity to leverage into other cash generating assets.

The China deal is a revenue booster and sponsor opportunity, which in turn would increase our cash revenue.

Momentum is the key with these things. It starts small but as it grows it does so onan exponential / compounding curve.

Just like a yearly increase of 5% on membership doesnt sound like much, it's the compound effect that matters.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
It will come. The China initiative is huge in terms of cash flow.
Another underrated move for the club. If we manage it well it could be a huge
next step seriously has to be either a stand alone VFL team or a take over of Sandy.

Our development path is s**t, and I'm being generous.
I believe they were reported on as being part of the points mentioned in said meeting.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
i do wonder if it will help us service the debt or renegotiate better terms given the increase in assets. Joffaboy is that possible? is that what the dogs did?
Not sure really, AFL is a unique type of business and clubs get operating grants and capital grants at non commercial rates.
Also commercial capital loans are basically underwritten by the AFL.

Without all the relevant information I really can't tell.
The poor gates and lower membership certainly doesn't help the cash flow.

Also the capital value is basically worth less. Council owns the land so cant demolish the joint after full capital depreciation.
What they can do is minimise the impact on the P&L by first capitalising the CWIP and back date it to July 1. Full year depreciation on the whole complex.
Once fully depreciated, revalue the structure and t then start the depreciation process again.

Still think the debt is nothing to be concerned about.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back