Freeeoo

Club Legend
May 7, 2006
SOR
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Gooners
As others have stated, Fyfe was running laps with Hughes, lots of laps and at a good clip.
Bewley and Ryan were also running laps together and Switta and Kersten were solo. Bewley's body is AFL ready and is a good size.

Hogan was doing some one on one skills with Tucker - kick to kick etc and Hogan spent about 15 minutes or so practicing set shots from about 40-45m at various points around the arc. He slotted every single one that I saw.

Big main group today, I paid particular attention to Bennell who completed all but the full ground sims at the end.
He looked really engaged and brought a lot of energy. He just does everything better than everyone else, super clean and slick on both sides of his body.
He participated in quite a few stoppage drills and would have won clean ball in about 80% of them, it was quite uncanny.

Big Sean and Sandi did some one on one ruck duals which were all won by Sandi but what a great resource we have for Darcy to learn from.

Ballaz was probably BOG today, trained the house down and set a great example to the younger guys.

Missing were SHill who appeared outside late and walked laps, Walters was inside and I didn't notice Valente.

LeftFootBanana

All Australian
Aug 7, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just a few things from training in no particular order...

Nice to see our captain go out of his way to say hello to training watchers -especially the kids.

Ryan and Bewley running and doing agility drills, a bit of kicking. Bewley is fit and switched on - looks a good pick up.

Kersten on a modified program. He's still a good shot for goal but a long way off match fit.

S Hill walking laps.

Hogan doing some goal kicking - can't wait to see him in full training.

Giro hitting some nice kicks from defence in the match sims. Alex Pearce seems to be trying to hit the difficult flat kick in drills - good to see.

The full ground drills were about quick ball movement from half back and long kicks to half forward. Everything was done at pretty good tempo considering it was quite warm.

I know this will chafe a few but I remain optimistic. :D

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
With Tucker and Hogan, the reports focus on Hogan, which is fair enough. Any chance that Tucker was being asked to practice kick-ins? It will be interesting to see what he can bring this pre-season.

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
With Tucker and Hogan, the reports focus on Hogan, which is fair enough. Any chance that Tucker was being asked to practice kick-ins? It will be interesting to see what he can bring this pre-season.
Tucker apparently sustained a foot injury in round 23 and has been on restricted training. No evidence I saw that he was practicing kick-ins.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hogan was doing some one on one skills with Tucker - kick to kick etc and Hogan spent about 15 minutes or so practicing set shots from about 40-45m at various points around the arc. He slotted every single one that I saw.

Big main group today, I paid particular attention to Bennell who completed all but the full ground sims at the end.
He looked really engaged and brought a lot of energy. He just does everything better than everyone else, super clean and slick on both sides of his body.
He participated in quite a few stoppage drills and would have won clean ball in about 80% of them, it was quite uncanny.

Cowboy Neale

Senior List
Apr 13, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
A
Watched an hour or so of the side group.

Fyfe, Hughes, Ryan, Sturt, Bewley all doing additional run thrus. Sturt was very controlled with his pace. Sensible coaching as they build his aerobic capacity.

Kersten was just running laps on his own at a moderate pace and didn’t seem to be labouring too hard. Personally feel he looks underdone and makes mccarthy looked ripped.

Tucker and Hogan doing some goal kicking. Tucker kicking out to Hogan with Hogan return kicking for goals. Hogan has a great set of hands doesn’t drop anything. Ryan was heckling him as he kicked for goal a couple of times from deep in the pocket and made a quick $20

Also got to see the defenders practising holding there space. They were divided into 2 groups

Group 1
Pearce, Hamling, Logue, Watson and Carter. Logue Was easily out muscling Pearce and Hamling. Still a little clumsy in the contest compared to Pearce and Hamling in the sense he wasnt getting clean marks as his opponent was getting there hands in but was still winning the ball. He does have clean strong hands when the opposition hands aren’t in the way. Will be the perfect third tall. He will scare the pants off opposition defenders if he is rolling off to spoil or mark in a contest (Gov style)If he hits you it will hurt.

Group 2
Cerra, Conca, Duman, Nhyuis, Wilson. Wilson and Roger Hayden providing some good feedback to Cerra about his body positioning. Cerra looks set for half back. Possibly rotating through mid with Conca. Will be interesting to see cerra a emergence and Conca coming in pushes SHill into the midfield.

In regards to the Duman and Logue debate it appeared with the group break ups that Duman is being moulded more as Wilson, Ryan, S hill type defender that can play as an undersized tall defender if required. Logue looks to be the third tall option that as he develops will likely start taking second and best defenders. Ie they will play different rolls.

Carter looks a good prospect. His body positioning was outstanding for a first year player particularly considering who he was positioning against. This is where the NGA and Peel alignment may be very good for us as with Freo being involved heavily in his development at Peel they would have been able develop him as a HBF where as if he played at Claremont or TAC cup he would have played as a mid/wing. As it stands his defensive body pisitioning skills looked more comfortablethan Cerra probably due to the guidance of Freo and Peel (not suggesting he is better than Cerra because he isn’t)

Lastly hot out ther today!

Absolutely brilliant report and greatly appreciated. No sighting of Colyer, our other new recruit?

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interesting observation mighty. I hadn’t really noticed that but I certainly have high hopes for Jones. I’m not even 100% sure why I do, I just do..🤷‍♂️
I love him he has cult hero written all over him. A real goer. I love those types.

Cant wait to see him flatten some bastards this season

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

maccamk

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thanks soo much training watchers!!!

Might have a very healthy list come round one.

How was Brad Hill looking? Assume Brad and Ed are locks for the wings?
I had a little look at Brad and Ed in some kicking drills. Brad has a great kick. I think most of his kicking problems in the last 2 seasons are due to him running so hard and fast that he had no one to kick to. Lobb and Hogan should help fix that! Ed still pokes the ball a bit and missed a couple of short targets.

Back