Prediction The Tom and Jack show, how does it work?

How does it work?

• Jack plays from the square

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
With Tom Lynch coming to the club in the prime of his career and Jack Riewoldt ,one of the greats of the game in the prime of career ,how does it work? Is there going to be a number one forward who plays from the square, or do they rotate?

Lynch will play out of the square, Jack will play high half forward and be given the license to use his smarts where he sees it best.
He’s also our best kick inside 50, will be delicious.

Lynch will play out of the square, Jack will play high half forward and be given the license to use his smarts where he sees it best.
He’s also our best kick inside 50, will be delicious.

It's how I would see it happening too. Can't see Tom being expected to wheel around on that knee too much, assuming he even gets on the ground yet. Jack will have a huge licence to roam I would think. We'll see. Dimma could surprise us and flip Jack and Rancey if Mrs Hardwick suggests it:rolleyes:

Sep 8, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Voted for “Tom from the square” but think both will be given runs up the field and deep in attack. If we’re bossing the game, Tom deep. If we’re behind in the last and going for it, maybe Tom up the ground to clunk a few big marks on the wing. Haven’t been this excited about a recruit ever. Think Tom is going to be epic. Unless you’re a rusted on Footy fan who watches games all across the weekend, you’ve probably not seen Tom play much. Bloke is a genuine contested marking gun

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
We will go back to 2016 style game, kick it sideways until we turn it over. So it doesn't really matter how they set up. hehe jokes.

Not sure, can't wait to see it. Probably will change all the time within matches and from match to match. I suspect it's not as basic as one plays out of the square with one further up. It's probably more they have a licence to go where they want to lose opponents, will block for each other, will drag good defenders away sometimes etc.

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
So Martin is one out in fwd 50, Jack up the ground for the breakout mark, Lynch running decoy. Or Martin decoy. Or Lynch up the ground, Reiwoldt decoy. Oppo defenders are going to have their hands full, add Caddy, Buttler, Castagna, Rioli, Higgins, Lambert, Edwards, Cotch, Prestia to that mix. Don't think there's a backline to contain that lot. Just gotta get the ball down there

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
There will not be one set up but rather many set ups. The most crucial stratagem is unpredictability and I believe we will utilize strategies to keep the defenders guessing and modify the set up depending on the situation.
  1. Initially I believe the set up will be Lynch deep with Jack CHF using his sublime footskills to feed our forwards.
  2. The next scenario may see Jack and Tom working in unison inside the F50, blocking and creating space for each other.
  3. Third I can see one (perhaps Jack) pushing up the wings, Tom roaming the arch and Martin one out in the goal square or Dusty/Caddy with the smalls running back to crumb.
  4. Finally both may push up the ground to open up the whole F50 to allow thw small forwards to use their pace to create chaos and score together.

Very exciting, given all the possibilities Tom creates. Bring on 2019!

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
So Martin is one out in fwd 50, Jack up the ground for the breakout mark, Lynch running decoy. Or Martin decoy. Or Lynch up the ground, Reiwoldt decoy. Oppo defenders are going to have their hands full, add Caddy, Buttler, Castagna, Rioli, Higgins, Lambert, Edwards, Cotch, Prestia to that mix. Don't think there's a backline to contain that lot. Just gotta get the ball down there
1547034956629.png

Sep 24, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Surly we're not going the Grigg option again, it'll mean bringing in a second ruckman (replacing a mid/smallfwd) and where will they play while resting? I hope Lynchs comes good

I’d rather extra grunt rotating through the middle than an extra ruck.

I want more control of the ball through mids with improved delivery to tl and jr. not sure we gain a lot from having the extra ruck. And not sure a second ruck provides enough relief up forward (can’t see a second ruck play anywhere else)

if anything defenders could sag off second ruck to double team tomjack. To this I’d rather a quick small/mid forward to keep them honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walt Kowalski

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Create Pagan's Paddock for Dusty at FF. One out in the forward 50, no one else within 60 metres. JackR and TomL on the HFF, pushing up to the wings and half back to mark. Pump it long into Dusty quickly every opportunity. Sheds at his traditional position of CHF.

In reality though, I see Lynch playing deep forward most of the time, with Jack pushing up to be a mobile CHF.

Just don't want to see Lynch in the ruck, ever.

Sep 24, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I’m not sure I agree with dusty at FF talk.

We now have 2 of the best forwards in the comp with people saying we should push them up the ground and make them mids and a brownlow medalist midfielder who can drill 50-60meter passes who is to sit in the square.

I agree dusty is dangerous as a forward, but I’d rather see his work between the arcs

First half of the year Tom will play out of the square as our deepest forward until he gets condedance back in his knee but once he’s got the runs in it
Can see him and jack just doing whatever they see fit with dusty doing some mins in the square constantly creating mis match with the defenders

There will not be one set up but rather many set ups. The most crucial stratagem is unpredictability and I believe we will utilize strategies to keep the defenders guessing and modify the set up depending on the situation.
  1. Initially I believe the set up will be Lynch deep with Jack CHF using his sublime footskills to feed our forwards.
  2. The next scenario may see Jack and Tom working in unison inside the F50, blocking and creating space for each other.
  3. Third I can see one (perhaps Jack) pushing up the wings, Tom roaming the arch and Martin one out in the goal square or Dusty/Caddy with the smalls running back to crumb.
  4. Finally both may push up the ground to open up the whole F50 to allow thw small forwards to use their pace to create chaos and score together.

Very exciting, given all the possibilities Tom creates. Bring on 2019!

You stole my post. :thumbsu::D

I reckon they'll be working to develop a multi-approach strategy. But one that is fairly simple. Always have someone deep (Tom, JR, Dusty, Caddy), and try to suck whatever defensive structure there is out of position with the other guys. And sp allow one of our other forwards to play one on one, or even loose. Apart from the 4 mentioned Rioli, George and Shai can mark it. I'd absolutely hate to the be the small defender/mid that suddenly has Dan Rioli one out inside 50.

And if we can't get that long kick to the one out forward (whoever that is), then we play the tall marking guy (Tom and Jack) with crumbers.

Fairly straightforward strategy, just let the players sort it out on field. I reckon all of Jack, Dusty, and Tom are smart enough to general that lot.

if it works right I can see us creating a lot of spare grass inside 50 and the small guys feasting as defenses focus on stopping Tom, Jack, Dusty and Josh. That is, the extra tall could create more opportunities for the smalls.

With Jack solo you could double team him and manage the space. But how do you double team Tom and Jack and still have enough people to stop the rest?

If we can bring the ball in pretty well (which doesn't always mean to the tall forward) then it could be exciting to watch. Those games where we dominate forward 50's but struggle to kick goals might just go away - Oh happy day.

I’m not sure I agree with dusty at FF talk.

We now have 2 of the best forwards in the comp with people saying we should push them up the ground and make them mids and a brownlow medalist midfielder who can drill 50-60meter passes who is to sit in the square.

I agree dusty is dangerous as a forward, but I’d rather see his work between the arcs

It's not Dusty at FF. It's any strong marking target at FF. That immediately means Tom, Jack, Dusty and Caddy taking turns at FF. Probably in order of how I wrote it.

So Dusty can 'rest' forward and tom and Jack lead out. Defenses have to cover them. Leaves Dusty one out 30m from goal. And both Tom and Jack are good running through the middle. We actually strengthen ourselves all over the ground.

Pretty much how we have played, but Turbo charged (forgot Higgo as another that could go deep one on one) by Tom creating an automatic mismatch. Even our defense would be stretched by our forward line. :cool:

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
It's not Dusty at FF. It's any strong marking target at FF. That immediately means Tom, Jack, Dusty and Caddy taking turns at FF. Probably in order of how I wrote it.

So Dusty can 'rest' forward and tom and Jack lead out. Defenses have to cover them. Leaves Dusty one out 30m from goal. And both Tom and Jack are good running through the middle. We actually strengthen ourselves all over the ground.

Pretty much how we have played, but Turbo charged (forgot Higgo as another that could go deep one on one) by Tom creating an automatic mismatch. Even our defense would be stretched by our forward line. :cool:

Cotchin should play forward too

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Dimma has wanted two KPF's for ages, TV didn't work out because he preferred the Jenkins role of getting it out the back and sooking.
Griff didn't work out and a chance he might've because he just kept getting injured and unfortunate for him the head injuries won out.

So what do we have to compare.....Jack and Towny late in 2017 dominating but that was only a pinch hitting partnership.

Jack and Lynch will be mouth watering.

Lynch playing close to home and Jack roaming up the ground, now when Jack takes a grab 70 to 80 out and instead of looking up and seeing only George, Caddy, Butters and Rioli as options..............he will see Big Tom as an option with the 3 smalls waiting for spills and Caddy one out with the 3rd best defender instead.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
First point I would like to make is the notion that Lynch will give us a chop out in the ruck.
Here are his stats:
In 2013 in 8games he averaged 2ho per game
In 2015 and 2016 in 42games he averaged 1 ho per game when he was at his peak fitness.
In 2014,2017 and 2018 in 51games he’s averaged no ho per game.

On these results alone we can safely conclude he will not be the answer to our ruck problems and Grigg’s will be safe if Tom is going to be his contender.
Hopefully we use some commonsense here and start going passed Grigg and come up with a better option.
The way I look at TL he will need to be managed like his mate Prestia and given light game time and some rest early so that he peaks for finals when we will need him at most. When he’s being rested we will need to be creative in playing blokes like Balta Miller Moore and even CCJ. Blooding young blokes will be crucial in case s**t happens as well as for carrying Lynch to the finals.
As for where TL and Jack play we don’t want to be too predictable and one dimensional so imo we need to rotate them from the goal square and CHF positions. Lynch is a beautiful mark and long kick for goal whereas Jack is a great mark only. In short however Jack is almost like a small forward and very agile as well as brilliantly clever , whereas Lynch is nowhere near as agile or smart, but he gives us another contested marking target. So they both have their strengths and weaknesses in both positions, so imo we rotate both of them depending on weather conditions, opponents on the day as well as their fitness. Also the partial aim of recruiting Lynch was to give Jack some longevity, so running Jack into the ground by playing him more up the ground will probably do the contrary.
In 2017 we were creative and bold with our selections as we outwitted the opposition and caught them by surprise with our ideas , whereas last year we became stagnant towards the end and the outcome was we were more predictable.
A very good thread with good choices in the survey and I will be looking forward to see how it all pans out.

Back