• Kayo

Votes: 45 44.1%
  • Channel 7

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 26 25.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Been using Foxtel Now for the past few years, paying 40$ p/m will make the switch to Kayo when the either f1 or footy season starts

Thanks for the replies.
The reason I said $30/month is my wife already has the Foxtel basics + movies so it would be an additional $30.

I don't have a mobile phone and my family have Optus phones unfortunately.

I actually don't want all the AFL talk shows, what I really want is AFL games with the crowd noise but no commentary.
I also want cycling which I didn't see advertised on Kayo.
I assume Kayo will have streams for Tokyo 2020.

I may save my 14 day free trial of Kayo for the preseason comp then make a call.

Thanks again.

Been using Foxtel Now for the past few years, paying 40$ p/m will make the switch to Kayo when the either f1 or footy season starts

I was watching some F1 replays in the trial period of Kayo to gauge the quality. It was schmick.

Thanks for the replies.
The reason I said $30/month is my wife already has the Foxtel basics + movies so it would be an additional $30.

I don't have a mobile phone and my family have Optus phones unfortunately.

I actually don't want all the AFL talk shows, what I really want is AFL games with the crowd noise but no commentary.
I also want cycling which I didn't see advertised on Kayo.
I assume Kayo will have streams for Tokyo 2020.

I may save my 14 day free trial of Kayo for the preseason comp then make a call.

Thanks again.
Pretty sure Kayo will have a fair bit of cycling as they'll have the Eurosport stuff from Foxtel - Giro, La Vuelta, monuments, one day classics, various UCI world tour events etc. Not the TDF though, although that is on FTA on SBS.

Pretty sure Kayo will have a fair bit of cycling as they'll have the Eurosport stuff from Foxtel - Giro, La Vuelta, monuments, one day classics, various UCI world tour events etc. Not the TDF though, although that is on FTA on SBS.

Speaking to the late Paul Sherwen at the Tour Down Under last year he said that he and Phil Liggett were doing the tdf commentary for NBC.
I want to investigate whether I can get that feed somehow if Phil continues to do it, maybe Kayo can get onboard with that.

Anyway I'm pretty sure I'll trial Kayo once the preseason games start, have a close look at the quality and features of those broadcasts and make a call after that.

cheers

CH7 bahahaha

Now if you go the streaming option my only advice is stay of social media or don't watch anything live with any friends who are also watching it live via foxtel proper because chatting on like discord/skype etc you'll know what's coming before it does. I've gone through this with F1 with a always going group chat and it kills my excitement when I get a "Oh no Hamilton" or "Classic Max" 20seconds or more before I see it. Same with footy but because in F1 that might be the only thing exciting to happen in a race these days it was a bit shite.

I hadn't even thought of this one, might have to play with this tonight, and hope my internet is good enough to do it.
I done this for about 2 weeks. It's not perfect, but it does the job. I can't remember if the usual repo has been shut down or not (I remember I had trouble finding the ABC iView addon the other week after doing a fresh install). If you have any dramas finding it let me know and I'll go through my browser history to find the correct repo address.

Foxtel isn’t 30/month. It’s way more expensive because of the regular s**t, I think it adds up to nearly 80 or so. I strongly advocate for Kayo, great price and for footy it’s just as good. I have the replays for all 2018 games on there which I’m not sure is possible for Foxtel. Kayo is what we’ve all been crying out for, I say go for it.

Foxtel play with sport package basically is. I got a $10 a month discount somewhere along the line as I'm with telstra, and my total Foxtel bill is $29 a month for one of the packages (lifestyle or doccos) plus sport. I can also adjust my package up and down on a monthly basis.

I'm assuming Foxtel Play v Kayo quality is pretty comparable ?

I use a Foxtel Play puck, https://www.news.com.au/technology/...x/news-story/284a95d2c29c6d27e93b5d63cfe5a3c5 which I find more user friendly than casting.

My biggest gripe is the quality of the channel 7 HD content. I have a new 2018 model Sony TV and the quality isn't great (although all reviews of the TV had it very high) - does anyone know if this actually is a CH7 thing - which is what I've been told.

Foxtel play with sport package basically is. I got a $10 a month discount somewhere along the line as I'm with telstra, and my total Foxtel bill is $29 a month for one of the packages (lifestyle or doccos) plus sport. I can also adjust my package up and down on a monthly basis.

I'm assuming Foxtel Play v Kayo quality is pretty comparable ?

I use a Foxtel Play puck, https://www.news.com.au/technology/...x/news-story/284a95d2c29c6d27e93b5d63cfe5a3c5 which I find more user friendly than casting.

My biggest gripe is the quality of the channel 7 HD content. I have a new 2018 model Sony TV and the quality isn't great (although all reviews of the TV had it very high) - does anyone know if this actually is a CH7 thing - which is what I've been told.

This can really be two things. FTA TV 'hd' is usually just upscaled trash and not true HD.

Secondly, TVs these days have in built upscaling of varying ability. The truly great TVs can upscale things like 720p to 4k with pretty good results. It could be the Sony you bought has average upscaling.

More likely just 7HD being garbage, plus not everything they air on there is actually HD content. It's just upscaled to HD as I said. Which can result in pretty average looking s**t.

The AO and Cricket for example look really nice on FTA HD channels (most of the time), but other content like Seinfeld for example will look trash as it's not originally HD content.

Where FTA is really poor is the footy. Their so called "HD" coverage is ******* gaaaarrrbage compared to Foxtel or streaming options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where FTA is really poor is the footy. Their so called "HD" coverage is ******* gaaaarrrbage compared to Foxtel or streaming options.

Yeah I'm really talking about the HD Football on Ch7. Cricket looks good, as do most movies etc I stream vie Netflix or Stan etc.

CUrrently have foxtel cable at $89 per month which is an old package (most of the lifestyle and doco channels, along with basuc) + sport + HD + 2nd box.
Investigating Kayo as substitute as sport was the main driver, however, have no FTA antenna at the house, which is a limiting factor on dropping Fox as cable gives all the FTA.

New workplace has my mobile through telstra, so I assume I will have the ability to watch the games on it...however, can you stream it to a TV from the AFL app?

Channel 7 'cos it's free. This Kayo sounds appealing though. I've always balked at paying for television on principle, however would consider it if I was able to choose the type of content I want for an appropriate price - this comes close.

New workplace has my mobile through telstra, so I assume I will have the ability to watch the games on it...however, can you stream it to a TV from the AFL app?
No, they have that locked down by default. I haven't bothered looking for a workaround to stream to TV as I have Fox, but I'm sure someone's found a way to do it.

Have a sweet $39/month deal for Foxtel with Sports HD and the 4K channel but the contract runs out in March and it will go up to about $70-$80 so i am definitely keen on Kayo as the only reason i have foxtel is for the sport.

i have 3 chromecasts in the house but they are all 2nd gen and no good for Kayo which sucks but im hanging out for them to either release a Samsung Smart TV app or PS4 app.

My only other issue is i only have 350gb to play with each month so not sure how much data i will chew. Thankfully netflix is data free for me

**EDIT** Just saw an article saying that Samsung & LG Smart TVs plus PS4 and XBOX ONE will have apps "early in 2019". Hopefully sorted by March then

Last edited:
I haven't got kayo yet but talking to a mate, it sounds fantastic. Here's some cool stuff about it:

- Dual screens (2 sports at once)
- Watch live games from the start if you come in late
- Can watch goals / highlights on the fly ( marked in playback bar)
- Vast array of documentaries available on demand
- Recent content available at ease (easy on demand access)
- Quality of streams consistent and excellent

Sounds like a no brainer to me.

This can really be two things. FTA TV 'hd' is usually just upscaled trash and not true HD.

Secondly, TVs these days have in built upscaling of varying ability. The truly great TVs can upscale things like 720p to 4k with pretty good results. It could be the Sony you bought has average upscaling.

More likely just 7HD being garbage, plus not everything they air on there is actually HD content. It's just upscaled to HD as I said. Which can result in pretty average looking s**t.

The AO and Cricket for example look really nice on FTA HD channels (most of the time), but other content like Seinfeld for example will look trash as it's not originally HD content.

I really noticed this when watching 'HD' Foxtel cast of footy through Ch7 and they cut to a news break and the picture quality of (Jayne Doyle?) was so much crisper.

I'll trial kayo maybe when the first non live FTA match happens

I really noticed this when watching 'HD' Foxtel cast of footy through Ch7 and they cut to a news break and the picture quality of (Jayne Doyle?) was so much crisper.

I'll trial kayo maybe when the first non live FTA match happens
no amount of HD or 4K can make Jayne Doyle look any better. In fact the better the resolution the worse she looks

That's good news about the TV apps.
Cancelled foxtel, started the 2 week trial of Kayo today.

so far been impressed with the pic quality on my laptop. Also loving the split screen options. Gonna be good for when the AFL season starts.

Quite literally outside of sport the best thing on foxtel at present is repeats of Rockwiz.
I'll trial Kayo at the start of the season and if it's ok just switch.

Sort of on topic, so be gentle

I currently have an vintage early 2000's 32" HD CRT TV as my main viewing screen - 50kg plus !

Always loved the PQ and currently running with a Beyonwiz Tuner Recorder and an early Blu Ray via Component

Does everything except Netflix / Kayo streaming etc that I do through my PC

However it is slowly dying - 15 years not a bad life span

Will need to upgrade shortly to a new 4k Smart Panel

Only looking at 43" to 49"

Still watch a fair bit of FTA but likely to see more streaming due to ease of use of new panel

Opinions and feedback on current Brands / Models in this size range would greatly appreciated before I splash the cash

I know there's not a huge amount of options and I understand the VA / IPS panel debate

PQ / upscaling capability is my number 1 priority

Thanks !

Back