Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would Freo offer him big bucks then and why did Conca walk into our finals after a serious injury?He would have played every week if it wasn’t for his injury early on. Astbury’s career was also injury hampered early on and he doesn’t get up each week .
Every player on our list is integral to our present and our future performances.For example The Lids trade was crucial in us winning the 17 flag.
BD like could and should is personal opinion and speculation. For example Cotchin could leave as he once said he would retire if he won a flag. If you’re on the list then it’s best 22 and the last time I checked Rance was on it, but he’s not the topic of discussion here and not the point being made based on UFA as he’s in the top 25% earners at the club which makes him a FA .
Exactly its all supposition so I don't get why we are surmising that he will leave. I cant see any situation where he decides to take the cash elsewhere, he doesn't appear to be the type. He isn't going to go home like Conca, which is why he chose to take a contract for freo. I wouldn't also say it was big bucks either. Imo we have tried to get a good backline together, we have finally done it, and now we want to split it up? I understand part of this is seeing where Garth fits but you don't get rid of a player like Astbury for a player like Garth at this stage. If Astbury goes, your more than likely see Rance retire.

Trading Astbury is ludicrous.

What would he even net us? And early second?

He’s a critical key defender. We are a mockery without him.

Garth needs to find another way in, and if he’s good enough, he will.
Wouldn't look to trade Astbury unless he requests it or triggers his FA get out card.
Can't see it happening myself.
Would luv to fit Garth in somehow.

The only way Astbury leaves is if he decides to leave via FA, we wont trade him end of story.

Garth should be eyeing off broads spot in the 2019 lineup. We can do a quick shuffle which allows Garth and Astbury to take the 2 KPF's, allowing Rance to take the 3rd tall - his intercepting will go next level (which is hard to fathom given hes the intercepting king already

Callum Coleman Jones 200cm & 100kgs when he was drafted 14 months ago so you would think he has not gotten any shorter

Kane Lambert 178 cm - Pretty safe to say he would be exact

Ryan Garthwaite - 192cm 91 kgs ??? Really I would say 195/196 and at least 95/96kgs

I dont need official stats on the website

play him 2nd ruck

Jack Riewoldt and Tom Lynch was on that show Marngrook footy show and said some really good things about Garth, Said that garth is Rance & Astbury project player and they were all really excited about how well he is coming along and said he will certainly be playing games this seasoon

Rance & Astbury to learn from and play and train against Riewoldt & Lynch as well as having the confidence of the club would be the ideal situation for Garth to really get the development to become a very very good defender for the coming years

I know you can’t tell from the photo but Garth looks maybe 1cm shorter than CCJ. He will be very handy against the very tall fwds

The guy has had a serious growth spurt then. If so, Awesome!!! :moustache:

He'll be a monster KPB at that size.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guy has had a serious growth spurt then. If so, Awesome!!! :moustache:

He'll be a monster KPB at that size.

There is no way he's suddenly grown 8cm in his 20s

At his height, he's competing with Grimes (no way) and Broad (maybe) for a spot.

I'd love for him to be 200cm, because we lack a decent genuinely tall KPD other than Astbury, but it's not him.

There is no way he's suddenly grown 8cm in his 20s

At his height, he's competing with Grimes (no way) and Broad (maybe) for a spot.

I'd love for him to be 200cm, because we lack a decent genuinely tall KPD other than Astbury, but it's not him.

You're probably right. But it's been known for guys in their early 20's to have a growth spurt. Still, I'd be happy with him at 195.

I assumed the Garthwaite 200cm post was a piss take.

So did I at first, but the idea that's he's grown significantly it seems to have grown legs (so to speak) and is just a waste of time and needs to be shot down for the sake of those not following intently on the 'in joke'.

Seems he's in the Gourdis/Post/McBean school of BF circle jerk over the 'potential' of a player who is clearly not upto it (As evidenced by him being our 5th or 6th best 'tall' defender right now).

So did I at first, but the idea that's he's grown significantly it seems to have grown legs (so to speak) and is just a waste of time and needs to be shot down for the sake of those not following intently on the 'in joke'.

Seems he's in the Gourdis/Post/McBean school of BF circle jerk over the 'potential' of a player who is clearly not upto it (As evidenced by him being our 5th or 6th best 'tall' defender right now).
Bit harsh on the young lad. Gourdis was a freak athlete, Post just needed 6 games and McBean was McStringbean.... think Garth has a bit more going for him, especially given his VFL form and the accolades of his senior team mates (although that is mainly in the good bloke category at the moment). Clearly not up to it is a tad harsh as well, just because he is behind Rance, Grimes and Astbury (reckon he and Broad are fighting for the spot).... It is the off season after all.

i was joking about 200cm but it looks like he has grown significantly in those pictures

it doesnt need to be shot down at all, soon you can go to training yourself and we will know how tall/little he is

he is behind four premiership players; Rance, Grimes, Astbury, Broad. 'not being up' to it is a bit of an early call, he is 20 years old and been very good in the 2s

i was joking about 200cm but it looks like he has grown significantly in those pictures

it doesnt need to be shot down at all, soon you can go to training yourself and we will know how tall/little he is

he is behind four premiership players; Rance, Grimes, Astbury, Broad. 'not being up' to it is a bit of an early call, he is 20 years old and been very good in the 2s

When he played AFL he was really solid. He's not at Astbury or Grimes level. But then few are - especially in their first few games.

I reckon he's a definite keeper. Looks like a genuine AFL quality KPD. Could even be very good looking at him playing firsts. Good times. Just to fit them all in.

The only way Astbury leaves is if he decides to leave via FA, we wont trade him end of story.

Garth should be eyeing off broads spot in the 2019 lineup. We can do a quick shuffle which allows Garth and Astbury to take the 2 KPF's, allowing Rance to take the 3rd tall - his intercepting will go next level (which is hard to fathom given hes the intercepting king already

I like this a lot !!! Needs to happen IMO

Been saying that for a while... although I also said we should give Rance a crack at CHF... so really who'd listen to me. (Although how would backmen cope with Rance lining up besides Jack, Lynch will have to do.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back