League Cup 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess you have to go back to the original decision if replays are not conclusive.
That’s not how Var works for offside. It’s either on or off based on the video angles available. The original decision is irrelevant. The only way for it to be inconclusive would be if the cameras weren’t working at the time of the incident.

The issue here may be that the linesman half raised his flag (which he shouldn’t have with var in use) causing Chelsea defenders to slow down. Reality is these defenders were not going to impact the play before the coming together with the keeper and Kane. What would of been interesting was what would of happened if Kane had squared the ball to Alli who was unmarked due to the defenders stopping

The long term outcome to VAR and offside is that the offside interpretation will be changed again. There’s been lots of talk about it from league’s that have already been using VAR, and it seems the most likely implementation will be the ‘daylight’ rule, where there needs to be clear daylight between the attacker and second last defender.

It would remove the controversy from decisions like this morning. The overall effect will be players will be ruled onside unless it’s obviously offside. It’s not perfect and will take some adjusting to, but it’s probably better than what we have now.

VAR isn’t my cup of tea, but it isn’t ever going away, and will only end up being used more and more. I wouldn’t be surprised if it leads to other rule interpretations needing changing to adjust to it. Handball is the obvious one, with the current deliberate rule being so subjective and the idea of video replays being completely objective.

Never going to get a system that is 100% fullproof, but like has been mentioned it’s better to have it in place than not.

I thought Kane was level but that other angle that wasn’t shown during the match shows he wasn’t.

I wonder if Burton brought the lube. What a shitty day for them. Lots of fans couldn't make it because of a crash earlier in the day on the M6, now their team is getting hammered by a ridiculous side. Resting some players and not others.. De Bruyne obviously needs game time but David Silva, Sane?

I wonder if Burton brought the lube. What a shitty day for them. Lots of fans couldn't make it because of a crash earlier in the day on the M6, now their team is getting hammered by a ridiculous side. Resting some players and not others.. De Bruyne obviously needs game time but David Silva, Sane?
Silva has been injured I believe.

Silva has been injured I believe.
Nowhere near as long as Super Kev.

The largest margin of victory in the first leg of a League Cup semi-final is six goals. Man City v West Ham (6-0) in January 2014, and Oldham v West Ham (6-0) in February 1990.
DBAH0 ouch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel sorry for Burton. Fantastic achievement to get so far, only to be completely humiliated & disrespected by a team with no need to keep pressing the foot down

It'd be disrespectful to stop trying imo

It's a professional competition try and win by as much as possible. Just don't mug them off playing like Harlem Globetrotters but batter them by as much as possible

Burton up against it in the second leg, will need to come out firing and nick the first goal if they’re going to be any chance.

Great from us. I think everything we wanted from the game we got.

Harsh on Burton, but I'm glad we kept at it. Would be disrespectful to Burton and the supporters if we just coasted after the first few goals.

I think it’s safe to say City will be underestimating Burton in the 2nd leg. That’s a play on an old Don Revie quote after his Leeds side smacked some Euro minnow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back