• Total voters

Cronin

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
Scott is signed up as head coach for another 4 years.

I can see opposition clubs wanting to hire Scarlett as their head coach he's one of the highly rated assistant coaches.

Do you see Scarlett staying at Geelong as assistant coach for a few more years before succeeding Scott or will he want to become a head coach sooner and take up a head coaching position at another club.
I don't think Scott will see out his contract, which IMO was a dumb move by the club.

Personally, I'm giving him this season to either win a flag(optimistic but doubtful) or at least produce significant change in game style and attitude.

If nothing changes then I'll be pushing for him to go and Scarlett to coach from 2020.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
every player on the GWS list is 26 years old or younger - outside of

Shaw, Heath
Mumford, Shane
Deledio, Brett
Simpson, Dawson
Reid, Samuel (R)
De Boer, Matthew
Ward, Callan
Keeffe, Lachlan
Davis, Phil

Thats a lot of pressure on Ward and Davis

Like Melbourne, GWS have a very young list - obvious with a shitload of talent in the middle and younger age brackets

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
every player on the GWS list is 26 years old or younger - outside of

Shaw, Heath
Mumford, Shane
Deledio, Brett
Simpson, Dawson
Reid, Samuel (R)
De Boer, Matthew
Ward, Callan
Keeffe, Lachlan
Davis, Phil

Thats a lot of pressure on Ward and Davis

Like Melbourne, GWS have a very young list - obvious with a shitload of talent in the middle and younger age brackets
Ward and Davis were specifically targeted for recruitment as leaders not too far from the mean age, who could contribute as players and stay with the group long term.

Last year they finished 3rd and 4th in the club B&F, and it was an inspired move in my view.

They are assisted by De Boer who's made himself an important leader.

Heater was critical to the rise of a young group of backs. I do think he should become a bit more selfish now as his career enters the twilight, and the backs have grown up. There's not the same need for strong leadership looking forward.

SagsyBoi05

Draftee
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong will win the flag next year. You’ve heard it hear first. They have some great gems that will explode (Narkle, Atkins and Fort have more mongrels between them than a pack of savage dogs).

GWS will go through an injury curse once again. Everyone bangs on about how young and good their list is, experience counts for a lot! Yes they have talent but I will believe when I see it that they can win very tight games in finals.

Sydney same boat with inexperience. Yes their culture is brilliant, but they need another year or two with a new core group to become a powerhouse again. Kennedy, Parker, Franklin, Grundy, McVeigh will all need to have career best years for them to win the flag.

Interested in others thoughts

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Geelong will win the flag next year. You’ve heard it hear first. They have some great gems that will explode (Narkle, Atkins and Fort have more mongrels between them than a pack of savage dogs).

GWS will go through an injury curse once again. Everyone bangs on about how young and good their list is, experience counts for a lot! Yes they have talent but I will believe when I see it that they can win very tight games in finals.

Sydney same boat with inexperience. Yes their culture is brilliant, but they need another year or two with a new core group to become a powerhouse again. Kennedy, Parker, Franklin, Grundy, McVeigh will all need to have career best years for them to win the flag.

Interested in others thoughts

My thoughts are you need to move with the times. Our goal will never be to win close finals, winning them very comfortably is every teams goal.

SagsyBoi05

Draftee
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
My thoughts are you need to move with the times. Our goal will never be to win close finals, winning them very comfortably is every teams goal.

Any team that thinks they are going to go into a final and win comfortably is absolutely kidding themselves. And as a supporter thinking that’s possible, you are kidding yourself.

Most teams are running on fumes, injections for sore spots and adrenaline come finals time. It’s the mentally toughest, most game plan belief (sticking to structures, even in times of momentum swings), some individual brilliance and physically hardened teams, that a high majority of times, find a way to win.

The last round bye allows an opening for more skewed results in which sides may win more comfortably.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Any team that thinks they are going to go into a final and win comfortably is absolutely kidding themselves. And as a supporter thinking that’s possible, you are kidding yourself.

Most teams are running on fumes, injections for sore spots and adrenaline come finals time. It’s the mentally toughest, most game plan belief (sticking to structures, even in times of momentum swings), some individual brilliance and physically hardened teams, that a high majority of times, find a way to win.

The last round bye allows an opening for more skewed results in which sides may win more comfortably.

Every team goes into every final aspiring to win them comfortably though. It's really not complicated.

The comparison in this thread is the Cats and Swans.

The Cats have almost mirrored our performance in finals in the last three years. A win in our EF last year does have us in front though.

The Swans have never beaten us in a final, 2 zip so far.

Both if these teams could possibly beat us next time in a final, as far as the Swans go it'll be daunting for them next time I'm sure. No reason for us to be concerned about the Cats.

This isn't 2015, get with the programme.

SagsyBoi05

Draftee
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Agree to disagree.

First to admit that Geelong have been average in finals for a long time now. GWS have been better and do have a great record against Sydney.

Here is where I agree with you. Results in the past, especially multiple close and grinding wins gives a definite mental edge over an opposition. Having guys with years of experience (Shaw, Ward etc) is highly valuable.

I believe that Geelong has a minor edge with having more experience than the 2 other teams mentioned in the thread (Selwood, Danger, Hawkins, Duncan, now little Dahl, Taylor). Other supporters of the other 2 teams would disagree and mention their stars as well. That’s the beauty of supporting a team loyally isn’t it!

You're getting angry that somebody doesn't rate GWS. I think you need to heed your own advice. :)

Anytime you're ready I'll be here waiting for that star-studded best 22.

It’s fun arguing with someone so sick, right? If you don’t agree with him you are wrong, and no need to post a rebuttal he’ll just abuse or dismiss you

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
It’s fun arguing with someone so sick, right? If you don’t agree with him you are wrong, and no need to post a rebuttal he’ll just abuse or dismiss you
Pffft

You're the original glass jawed troll. Without even the integrity to confront and insult directly. Lurking and posting personal attacks indirectly says everything about you anyone needs to know.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
The comparison in this thread is the Cats and Swans.

The Cats have almost mirrored our performance in finals in the last three years. A win in our EF last year does have us in front though.

The Swans have never beaten us in a final, 2 zip so far.

Both if these teams could possibly beat us next time in a final, as far as the Swans go it'll be daunting for them next time I'm sure. No reason for us to be concerned about the Cats.

Only ever beaten us once and even then it was only because we were travelling interstate off a 6 day break.

Gold Coast have a better record against us than GWS, that speaks for itself really.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Only ever beaten us once and even then it was only because we were travelling interstate off a 6 day break.

Gold Coast have a better record against us than GWS, that speaks for itself really.
Pfft

Who would you say played the better finals last year?

Last edited:

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Pfft

Who would you say played the better finals last year?

Luck of the finals draw, not to mention we were missing key players who are vital to our structures.

Melbourne would have beaten GWS by more than they beat us by.

However we would have belted Sydney and actually beaten Collingwood unlike GWS who couldn't beat them.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Luck of the finals draw, not to mention we were missing key players who are vital to our structures.

Melbourne would have beaten GWS by more than they beat us by.

However we would have belted Sydney and actually beaten Collingwood unlike GWS who couldn't beat them.
Gee that was unlucky getting injuries, never happens to any other club. Glad to see it didn't affect your dreaming though.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Lol facts champ, you were downhill skiing.
Never heard a more ridiculous complaint. Two teams on the same field. If your structures are good for a larger ground like the G, it stands to reason they would be effective on a smaller ground.

We know the real reason you keep championing this false argument - the Tiges don't travel well, even an hour down the road.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Never heard a more ridiculous complaint. Two teams on the same field. If your structures are good for a larger ground like the G, it stands to reason they would be effective on a smaller ground.

We know the real reason you keep championing this false argument - the Tiges don't travel well, even an hour down the road.
Your just proving my point, last two games against those teams we won by over 10 goals and our last two away games against those sides we won by over 10 goals as well.
Geelong were downhill skiing as I said, it's a Cats speciality to hammer bottom sides at the corridor, then hit a brick wall against decent teams hence why you were out in 1 this year and have only won 3 in your last 12 finals

Can't see where the improvement will come from this year for Geelong, although your apparent attempt to try and copy Richmond's style of game is a nice show of respect to a team that has the wood on you, unfortunately it's probably too late with the top teams moving towards two main forwards to take advantage of some of the new rules.

Your just proving my point, last two games against those teams we won by over 10 goals and our last two away games against those sides we won by over 10 goals as well.
Geelong were downhill skiing as I said, it's a Cats speciality to hammer bottom sides at the corridor, then hit a brick wall against decent teams hence why you were out in 1 this year and have only won 3 in your last 12 finals

Can't see where the improvement will come from this year for Geelong, although your apparent attempt to try and copy Richmond's style of game is a nice show of respect to a team that has the wood on you, unfortunately it's probably too late with the top teams moving towards two main forwards to take advantage of some of the new rules.
Has the wood on Geelong? Are you sure? Because I recall the last game between those two teams ended in a 3 point margin which would suggest no such dominance.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong

Lol, nice rationalisation - except you are s**t everywhere you have to travel. So the AFL doctors the draw for you. It's not that everybody outside of Melbourne has a cheat ground, surely?

I'm not surprised you can't see where our improvement will come from. You just proved you have zero knowledge of footy by suggesting we are going to try and copy the tigers game style :drunk:

I expect GWS to finish comfortably in the 8 (their ressies at Carlton will prop the ladder up) and should be top 3.

Geelong and the Bloods could miss the 8 or make the top 4, with neither result being remarkable.

Both Geelong and the Bloods have been rebuilding on the run, while remaining competitive. Neither rebuild is near complete.

One of the key differences between the two in 2018 for me is that the Bloods relied more on its inexperienced players than Geelong. A number of our competitive performances came when the experienced players were down on form, out injured or carrying injuries.

The Cats relied more on its primo experienced players. Interestingly both skippers had their worst years. Whether Selwood and Kennedy struggled on with injury is an unknown. I hope both play fit in 2019. Danger and Gazza had good years and Hawkins was a factor while Duncan and Toohey had good years

The two teams always seem to split their H&A results. The Bloods always seem to play well at the Litter Box and have a better record there than most other teams. In 2018 this continued, with the Bloods getting up with a dominant last quarter that achieved an improbable win. It probably irks Cats' fans that the Bloods invariably play their team at home rather than the Tigers, Hawks, or Pies.

Oddly enough in the trade period we effectively swapped two players who had been the source of considerable frustration. Time will tell whether Menzell or Grohan justify their recruitment. As it stands the Bloods are a bit ahead financially having salary dumped with Grohan and recruiting Menzell on a one year contract for minimum chips. I would be stunned if either make substantial contributions this year, but who knows?

I expect the Bloods to finish 2019 ahead of the Cats. In part this is because I rate the quality of the Bloods inexperienced players as having greater up-side than their equivalents at the Cats.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
GWS are the best for me,
Awesome list.
Sydney's list seem a bit old.
Geelong have got nothing.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Swans have 4th youngest team in the comp. That could drop even further if the likes of Jack, Smith don’t make best 22.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong won't come close to Sydney or GWS this year.
We are sliding and won't make the eight for a while now. Too many journeyman in our side and guys playing past their best years.

Back