Big Brother is coming to the footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Think the big thing that has changed over the last decade is social media and the super saturation that these events get now.

In my lifetime through the world these events have always occurred to some degree . Plane highjacking in the 60s, 70’s and 80’s were common. All sorts of terror groups plied their trade through the world in those times think the Red Brigade, the IRA, the PLO etc etc. In the 1970s hundreds of bombings occurred in the USA via their own home grown terrorists. In the 90’s McVeigh killed 168 and wounded hundreds more in the Oklahoma bombing. Etc etc etc

Current events have been shocking but terrorism isn’t new. Turing up walls and cameras everywhere isn’t the answer

There should always be a healthy scepticism with any new big technology, but some people in this thread are heading to the tin foil hat brigade

What would healthy scepticism of this new technology look like?

It’s a pity this thread seems to have a very narrow focus on the issue at hand.
We appear to think that “footy crowds are good at managing themselves”.
But are we ignoring the society that we now live in?
Are we ignoring world events of the last decade?
Is the ground CFC play the majority of its games on not the biggest, juiciest target in Melbourne?
Time to widen your focus guys.

So you don't just want to allow ticketmaster to track us in order for us to receive an increase in much needed marketing, I assume that you are referring to giving federal police the power and right to track everyone at a football game. I say let's throw in - no need for search warrants, torture to elicit 'the truth', etc...

History shows that significantly increasing police powers increases safety in a society. Not.

This nation has done a fantastic job of getting the balance right in terms of police power. We currently have one of the least corrupt and safest police forces in global history, but we shouldn't ignore history's lessons that suggest that when police forces are given too many powers, over time they tend to turn from protectors into persecutors.

So you don't just want to allow ticketmaster to track us in order for us to receive an increase in much needed marketing, I assume that you are referring to giving federal police the power and right to track everyone at a football game. I say let's throw in - no need for search warrants, torture to elicit 'the truth', etc...

History shows that significantly increasing police powers increases safety in a society. Not.

This nation has done a fantastic job of getting the balance right in terms of police power. We currently have one of the least corrupt and safest police forces in global history, but we shouldn't ignore history's lessons that suggest that when police forces are given too many powers, over time they tend to turn from protectors into persecutors.
I watched a show last night called Hunted and based in England.
If you think the police need powers to track you, you are sadly mistaken.
They already have the ability to track you, without warrants.
And you have given this ability willingly through banking and mobile technology.

I watched a show last night called Hunted and based in England.
If you think the police need powers to track you, you are sadly mistaken.
They already have the ability to track you, without warrants.
And you have given this ability willingly through banking and mobile technology.
They can track some of your actions, which is different to tracking all of your movements. My understanding is that they can't yet demand that app owners share your location. You seem to be advocating using cameras to track everyone. If you want it done at the MCG, assumedly you'd like it done elsewhere or even everywhere? That's a massive leap from what they can and are permitted to do at the moment and in my opinion it's a leap way too far.

They can track some of your actions, which is different to tracking all of your movements. My understanding is that they can't yet demand that app owners share your location. You seem to be advocating using cameras to track everyone. If you want it done at the MCG, assumedly you'd like it done elsewhere or even everywhere? That's a massive leap from what they can and are permitted to do at the moment and in my opinion it's a leap way too far.
Happy to be tracked.
In fact my across the road neighbor came to my door tonight to tell me his business had been rolled twice in three weeks and on Tuesday they rolled his house.
Now, the cops have got some CCTV images of the criminals, and their vehicle, from the cameras that our neighbours because they have cameras. I’ve got 8 cameras, unfortunately none pointed at the road which is 20 metres from my front door. I have another set of 8 which I will now set up to watch further away from my property.
Unfortunately my neighbor didn’t have cameras at his business. He has now.
Had he been set up to alert him, these idiots would have been off the streets before they targeted his house.
Time to do the right thing by the majority of us. Not the minority of you.

Happy to be tracked.
In fact my across the road neighbor came to my door tonight to tell me his business had been rolled twice in three weeks and on Tuesday they rolled his house.
Now, the cops have got some CCTV images of the criminals, and their vehicle, from the cameras that our neighbours because they have cameras. I’ve got 8 cameras, unfortunately none pointed at the road which is 20 metres from my front door. I have another set of 8 which I will now set up to watch further away from my property.
Had he been set up to alert him, these idiots would have been off the streets before they targeted his house.
I'm curious, is that last line suggesting that I'm a criminal, or is that last line suggesting that the majority of Australians would vote to have the whole nation and all its citizens under 24 police surveillance. I'm hoping it's the former, because if it's the latter and you're right, I'll start pulling out all the hair, that I no longer have any more.

I'm curious, is that last line suggesting that I'm a criminal, or is that last line suggesting that the majority of Australians would vote to have the whole nation and all its citizens under 24 police surveillance. I'm hoping it's the former, because if it's the latter and you're right, I'll start pulling out all the hair, that I no longer have any more.
I’m certainly not suggesting your criminality.
But you are right with your suggestion that the majority of Australians would vote for a safer society.

The vast vast majority don’t get their homes or businesses ‘rolled’.

But you are right with your suggestion that the majority of Australians would vote for a safer society.

... if it didn’t infringe on any liberties - of course!

But these things come at a price. And Australians are generally a libertarian bunch. We were overwhelmingly against the ‘Australia Card’.

Happy to be tracked.
Each to their own I guess. I am happy to have no alarms or cameras. Wouldn't dream of getting them. I grew up in Melbourne but we never locked our house and I lived there til my mid 20s which was about mid 80's. Never saw my parents with a key to the house and none of us kids had a key because there was no need. My old man still has a beach house which the family share and while it gets locked when nobody is there we wouldn't dream of locking it while we stay there. House is unlocked and empty all the time through that period. Sure we could get robbed but we haven't and if the door was locked we would still have been robbed and had a broken window and door also.

I lock my own place when I am not there. Still that hasn't stopped the couple of break ins I have had in the last few years. Still they did scale the building to the above level and come in via a door that was open. I just don't think we have a big problem in Australia and all this security people get fitted isn't needed for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back