Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think the last AFL listed player to kick this many goals in the VFL in any of his first three seasons was Ben Brown.
It's quite rare.

I’m optimistic about Mitch Lewis but we can’t get too far ahead of ourselves. Lewis kicked 38 goals this season, Sam Grimely did the same thing when he was 22, we all know how that played out..

I’m optimistic about Mitch Lewis but we can’t get too far ahead of ourselves. Lewis kicked 38 goals this season, Sam Grimely did the same thing when he was 22, we all know how that played out..
Infinitely different players though. The only thing that they have in common is the number of goals they kicked and that it was at Box Hill.

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Grimley was in his 5th year in the system at that time.

Lewis in his 2nd and having missed a lot of his first year due to injury. He also manged to Debut in his 2nd year and Grimley in his 4th.

Grimleys development was also a little bit hampered by not getting an opportunity behind, Roughead, Gunston, Franklin, Hale, Mcevoy and Bailey as a forward and forward/ruck.

Lewis has a pretty clear run at it with Roughead declining, Shoenmakers and O'brien not delivering, Gunston playing higher up the ground and the current preference to no longer play 2 genuine rucks.

Also Lewis is hard working and committed, Grimley would often peak in January in running exercises but would look disinterested during games.

Lethal44

All Australian
Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Presuming Roughead retires and neither of Schoenmakers or O’Brien take the next step, I’d like to see the Hawks try and grab Josh Bruce from the Saints on the cheap.

He’ll be 28, versatile, has a big engine and is a good contested mark.

I also feel we’ll need another experienced forward to help Gunston out, whilst Lewis and Nash develop.

Thoughts.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Grim having such a huge stride meant he had no agility. He also needed an unencumbered run at the footy. ML is a far better-balanced player and is already strong in contested marks. I do reckon he is more likely as a forward who rucks than a pure KPF.

The timing is pretty good. ML should get around 5 to 10 games so come trade time we'll have a pretty good idea if we need to throw the kitchen sink at a KPF.

Wizzmania

Senior List
Jan 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Presuming Roughead retires and neither of Schoenmakers or O’Brien take the next step, I’d like to see the Hawks try and grab Josh Bruce from the Saints on the cheap.

He’ll be 28, versatile, has a big engine and is a good contested mark.

I also feel we’ll need another experienced forward to help Gunston out, whilst Lewis and Nash develop.

Thoughts.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nup

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Grim having such a huge stride meant he had no agility. He also needed an unencumbered run at the footy. ML is a far better-balanced player and is already strong in contested marks. I do reckon he is more likely as a forward who rucks than a pure KPF.

The timing is pretty good. ML should get around 5 to 10 games so come trade time we'll have a pretty good idea if we need to throw the kitchen sink at a KPF.
Well we did throw the kitchen sink at Lynch.

But yeah I agree it will be important to see how Lewis and Nash develop along with a few of the young midfielders.

Wether we target cogs or a key forward will depend on the performance of Worpel, Howe, Cousins, Nash and Lewis I believe.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
You just don't pass up on the chance to sign truly elite midfielders if they become available.

Coniglio is a versatile, goal kicking, two-way running midfielder who exhibits leadership true qualities. IMO he's clearly one of the top 10 midfielders in the league. He's also a rooster and I imagine would be quite marketable FWIW.

Unfortunately we need a KPF and a KPD desperately, but when the best potential target is the unproven 2m Peter (who I do like) then IMO we should be going as hard as we can for Coniglio.

We'd end up having two of the top 10 (top 7 IMO) midfielders in the league, along with Jaeger who could himself move in to the elite bracket if he is able to live up to his potential. Those three complimented primarily by Wingard, Shiels, Worpel with Smith and Scully on the outside is just an outstanding, midfield group. It's a hard running (both ways), goal kicking, tough, clearance winning and classy midfield.

IMO Coniglio is versatile enough to play forward and on the HFF, so that would allow for greater flexibility with our rotations too - especially as Mitchell and Jaeger aren't as strong up forward.

Similarly to Wingard I've had Coniglio in all of my SC Draft and Classic sides over the last few seasons, so he's someone I watch as much as I can... In fact I think I posted something very similar to the above (regarding Wingard) in our previous trade thread when the Wingard and Shiel rumours were heating up.

I'm all in on him, bring him home Hawks.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Big difference though Grimely was a dumb footballer, he was very gifted athletically and had a good amount of attributes but had zero idea on body positioning and how to draw a lead/ draw in defenders to create space, he looked like a chicken with his head cut off the majority of the time.

Time will tell how Lewis goes but so far he has alot of positive signs this wont be a problem for him. To make it at AFL you can't have athletic traits being your number one skill, it's why players like Hartung don't make it.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I know it’s a fan run Facebook page but just thought I’d post this anyway. Pretty sure this will be the first of a million of these Cogs to the Hawks rumours in 2019.

DA19E0BA-09B9-4ED9-9013-D3E4453F0B5F.png

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I know it’s a fan run Facebook page but just thought I’d post this anyway. Pretty sure this will be the first of a million of these Cogs to the Hawks rumours in 2019.

View attachment 602945
Ha ha. As soon as I posted this I’ve seen Abasi’s thread on Cogs. Oh well at least I’ve got 5 pages of comments to read tonight.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons

View attachment 602945

I forgot to add that guy that runs that Facebook page source is someone that has spoken to Cogs old man. As said before I don’t know how legit it is being social media so take it with a grain of salt but is still fun to know.

View attachment 602945
Where on Earth did this FB poster get a time machine, so as to go back in time to when HFC getting Cogs was breaking news? We’ve been discussing it about 12 months now...

This FB page is gonna go bananas in July 2019, when he realises we picked up Scully & Wingard!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back