Training 2019 preseason discussion

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Me too. I was about to post that when I checked the website and it said Monday...

??? Who knows
The difference between Open Training and just training I suspect. Even tho we can't have an actual "closed session" ... we like to try by not advertising it etc.

Not sure why I know this, given substantial round trip required for me to attend, but here we are.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
The difference between Open Training and just training I suspect. Even tho we can't have an actual "closed session" ... we like to try by not advertising it etc.

Not sure why I know this, given substantial round trip required for me to attend, but here we are.
Yeah I figured the knowledge wasn’t going to help you overly :) but whatever you read about training starting Saturday, I’m pretty sure I read it too. Not sure where though. Maybe in a MFC news article or something.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
We can only hope he fulfils his potential as well as Cuzzy did
For his sake, I kind of hope he only fulfils the first bit of his potential. Going the full Cuzzy is an alarming idea in totality.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I'm not gonna lie ... I'd like the stop the comparisons and hopes of similarities between Trac and Cousins immediately, because I can already see what trait he'll actually inherit, because of the MFCSS of it all.
Good point.

Petracca reminds me more than anything else of a very sober, Trappist monk.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
There was a poster in here years ago who said rivers moved like nick dal santo so therefore we should play rivers in the midfield

They were probably angling for some sort of smooth moving "flows like a river" pun, and I assume you let them down.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
They were probably angling for some sort of smooth moving "flows like a river" pun, and I assume you let them down.
I’ve always loved Jared Rivers for no other reason then his awesome name. Sounds like an authentic hillbilly country / blues act. “Ladies and Gents I bring you the one and only Jared Rivers and the Hometown Stool-Water Girls”

Apparently Jayden Hunt won our time trial, assuming there was no ANB Omac or Tmac but good nonetheless. At his best he's invaluable
I think we will see Marty Hore in the round 1 line up, he is ready to go and by reports seems to be excelling during the training drills.
I like both of these things. Competition for spots is great.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
I checked out the DL training thread before, there are some pics up there from old mate which are worth looking at.

Some of my take aways ... Oscar looks like he's put on a fair bit of size across the shoulders. If Max and Preuss can coexist in the same 22, good luck to oppo midfields getting much of a look in, two enormous masses of humanity right there. Trac looks like he's trimmed down significantly through the midsection, while still maintain his powerful looking trunk, which is pretty impressive when you consider he's had off season surgery and only just returned to full training, more confident in my call that this will be his year.

I really don’t understand this mantra of comparing players with other players from previous eras.
Yeah, hard to think of anyone currently playing that I would compare to cousins, the game isnt as open.

Cousins would burst out of a pack and carry it 20metres.

Nowadays with the high pressure it is more likely that the player bursting from the pack immediately needs to find a runner to handball off too.

Brayshaw would be a closer comparison if I had to pick from our current list. Not as big of a threat up forward as cousins was though. He was a freak.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeah, hard to think of anyone currently playing that I would compare to cousins, the game isnt as open.

Cousins would burst out of a pack and carry it 20metres.

Nowadays with the high pressure it is more likely that the player bursting from the pack immediately needs to find a runner to handball off too.

Brayshaw would be a closer comparison if I had to pick from our current list. Not as big of a threat up forward as cousins was though. He was a freak.

I don't think anyone on our list compares to cousins not Brayshaw at all either. Think his off field has detracted a little from his career now.

But yeah footys changed too much. I'm thinking like a Dylan Shiel who kicks better. What I remember of Cousins is his over exaggerated elbow on his handball, the way he would run a semi circle in the position ready to handball. He was a bloody gun. Pretty much the perfect midfielder

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
I checked out the DL training thread before, there are some pics up there from old mate which are worth looking at.

Some of my take aways ... Oscar looks like he's put on a fair bit of size across the shoulders. If Max and Preuss can coexist in the same 22, good luck to oppo midfields getting much of a look in, two enormous masses of humanity right there. Trac looks like he's trimmed down significantly through the midsection, while still maintain his powerful looking trunk, which is pretty impressive when you consider he's had off season surgery and only just returned to full training, more confident in my call that this will be his year.

Very exciting if true, those physical changes to Trac and OMaxc would have been in my top 5 wishes heading into this PS...

Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Los Angeles Clippers
Barring the word that starts with i the next few years are going to be very very good. The finals drought is out of the way, add the 3 finals games (one brutal) experience and very good list changes. Having a granfinal priority on your membership will pay off.

Back