Autopsy Who will be the next Tigers 'A Grade' player?

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
An elite player is one that every other team would give up the farm to recruit, as they are the ones that are game changers. Too many players get the label of being elite when they really aren't. Doesn't mean that they aren't great players in their own right, but they aren't the types that you'd throw everything at them to recruit them.

For mine the elite players in the comp are:
Patrick Cripps
Brodie Grundy
Nathan Fyfe
Patrick Dangerfield
Josh Kelly
Max Gawn
Dustin Martin
Alex Rance
Lance Franklin
Jeremy McGovern

These are the 10 players I'd pick 3 from if I was to build a list around. Right now on our list I don't see any player stepping up to being elite, I see quite a few stepping up and becoming very good players who will help carry us to success, but I don't see any becoming the type that 17 other teams would sell the farm for.

Reiwoldt and Kennedy would have to be on the list. Certainly ahead of Cripps especially as there are only 3-4 quality spearheads across the whole comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An elite player is one that every other team would give up the farm to recruit, as they are the ones that are game changers. Too many players get the label of being elite when they really aren't. Doesn't mean that they aren't great players in their own right, but they aren't the types that you'd throw everything at them to recruit them.

Patrick Cripps
Brodie Grundy
Nathan Fyfe
Patrick Dangerfield
Josh Kelly
Max Gawn
Dustin Martin
Alex Rance
Lance Franklin
Jeremy McGovern

These are the 10 players I'd pick 3 from if I was to build a list around. Right now on our list I don't see any player stepping up to being elite, I see quite a few stepping up and becoming very good players who will help carry us to success, but I don't see any becoming the type that 17 other teams would sell the farm for.

Elite and A grade a different things to me.

Elite is best of the best. They win games themselves and entire sides can successfully be built around them.

An A grade player is in the top 10 - 15% of AFL players. They regularly influence games in a way that makes a significant difference. They are analysed by the opposition who have to try and stop/curtail them. And a genuine A grader still has that major influence on most games despite what the opposition does.

I would argue that pretty much all sides could argue to have an A grader or more. We genuinely have 4, with a few others knocking on the door. Elite players are different, if you have several you are a premiership contender almost based on that few.

I would argue that Dusty is definitely elite, as is Rance. Jack I reckon is now also elite because he scores goals, creates goals, causes pressure and is a general and leader.

Cotch probably isn't, although I love him as much as the other 3.

Prestia definitely could be on the verge of A grade, Vlas as well. Possibly Grimes based on 2018 form. Rioli and Higgins are young guys coming on fast. I'd even say that Astbury is getting close to an A grade KPD - not elite though.

To me this thread is about A graders, not elite.

The other players we have that I reckon could be elite are basically Rioli to me. Others will have to show the extraordinary more often.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!

Patrick Cripps
Brodie Grundy
Nathan Fyfe
Patrick Dangerfield
Josh Kelly
Max Gawn
Dustin Martin
Alex Rance
Lance Franklin
Jeremy McGovern

Cotch has won a Brownlow and powered the team through last year's Finals into a Grand Final and victory, just quietly!

Jack has kicked 600+ goals just quietly
No kidding doesn't mean that I have to rate him elite because everyone else does. Still a very good player.
Reiwoldt and Kennedy would have to be on the list. Certainly ahead of Cripps especially as there are only 3-4 quality spearheads across the whole comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As mentioned Jack is a very good player and would be no doubt be one of the first 10 players added to a list if you were redrafting the whole league, but IMO he wouldn't be one of the first 18 players if you were to throw every player into a draft pool to re-do lists.

Elite is best of the best. They win games themselves and entire sides can successfully be built around them.

An A grade player is in the top 10 - 15% of AFL players. They regularly influence games in a way that makes a significant difference. They are analysed by the opposition who have to try and stop/curtail them. And a genuine A grader still has that major influence on most games despite what the opposition does.

I would argue that pretty much all sides could argue to have an A grader or more. We genuinely have 4, with a few others knocking on the door. Elite players are different, if you have several you are a premiership contender almost based on that few.

I would argue that Dusty is definitely elite, as is Rance. Jack I reckon is now also elite because he scores goals, creates goals, causes pressure and is a general and leader.

Prestia definitely could be on the verge of A grade, Vlas as well. Possibly Grimes based on 2018 form. Rioli and Higgins are young guys coming on fast. I'd even say that Astbury is getting close to an A grade KPD - not elite though.

The other players we have that I reckon could be elite are basically Rioli to me. Others will have to show the extraordinary more often.
As I mentioned in my post elite players to me are those that you'd take first if you were starting a list from scratch. Doesn't mean we don't have our fair share of A grade players. Caddy Cotchin Edwards Grimes Houli Lambert Prestia Riewoldt Vlastuin spring to mind pretty quickly.

Lynch & Rioli hopefully join that group in the next 12-36 months after that well I'm not sure we've got anyone you could say would definitely be A graders.

Cotch has won a Brownlow and powered the team through last year's Finals into a Grand Final and victory, just quietly!
Another very good A grade player, but IMO not an elite player in the comp.

It's almost as if you don't rate all our good players as elite as you're being sacrilegious.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
I have a good pair of eyes, and what i have seen of Cotch, last year's finals play and that wonderful year before he won his Brownlow (even better than his Brownlow winning year) tell me that Cotch was then (in an ordinary sheet side) and still capable now of being Elite...

tiggywigs

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond

Pretty much nailed it, both the definitional differences and the player rankings.

If I was going to quibble, I'd say that Edwards and Grimes are already A grade, with the others you mentioned just one more good season from qualifying as A grade.

Lambert and Caddy are getting close too.

Of the young bloods, Higgins looks a likely A grader to me on exposed form.

Ps Almost all teams have at least three or four A graders imo. But a team with six or more A grade players is a serious contender. Especially if two or three are elite.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

Snap, I have called them stars of the comp and a graders or elites.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Rioli will have a ripper year imo, hes ready to break out
Yes he looked very good during last year's Finals games, even then he looked like he was going onto bigger and better plays, just a shame it all got interrupted and took him almost a half year to get back to some sort of form.
Still reckon his injury had a big impact on our run to the GF...throw in Butts and it's amazing how well we did go...

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Patrick Cripps
Brodie Grundy
Nathan Fyfe
Patrick Dangerfield
Josh Kelly
Max Gawn
Dustin Martin
Alex Rance
Lance Franklin
Jeremy McGovern

McGovern would be Richmonds fourth best defender.

I would not sell the farm for cripps

Rioli will have a ripper year imo, hes ready to break out

Proper pre-season and he's about he right size, he's as good running as anyone, and he know he is a quality AFL player. If they release him into the midfield then it's just how he integrates and makes the most of his opportunity. If he can make that step into the midfield, and I see no reason why he won't, he'll probably be a star. If he can rack up the possessions, 20 +, then he'll probably go straight to A grade. Amazing talent.

Apparently there are Rioli's that aren't great footballers. They just stay up North and all we get to see is the cream :cool:

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Definitely see Rioli excelling to another level next season.
Another year wiser and an uninterrupted pre season will make him top 5.
TT I think I know where you are coming from, Dan will have a way better season in 2019
but in the back half of 2017 he was elite , and I saw bits of it in 2018

We have a lot of elite players , especially compared to years gone by

so they cant be our next A grader , they are already there

I can see Broad possibly surprising many , he had the slow start with the suspension then the broken cheek bone
that did seem to take the wind out of his sails
he will have a fresh start this year and no attention on him

Garthwaite needs an opportunity but with a run of games could quickly cement himself into our back line
he is physically ready , it will be form and opportunities

Markov - the club showed faith in him with a two year extension , yes he's an outside player but you need them all
he shows flashes of something, he might become a real run and carry weapon

Short was busy last year but many complained about him missing targets and about his one on one defensive efforts
if he can tidy up those areas he'll go from handy to WOW

I feel those four are our best chance of getting a new A grader
they are all both physically and mentally mature , been in the system a little while
plus we now have the environment for these types to blossom ie(Lambert, Grimmes , Vlas , Caddy from season 1 to last year ...)

fingers crossed a couple step up and keep the tigger train rolling :)

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
TT I think I know where you are coming from, Dan will have a way better season in 2019
but in the back half of 2017 he was elite , and I saw bits of it in 2018

We have a lot of elite players , especially compared to years gone by

so they cant be our next A grader , they are already there

I can see Broad possibly surprising many , he had the slow start with the suspension then the broken cheek bone
that did seem to take the wind out of his sails
he will have a fresh start this year and no attention on him

Garthwaite needs an opportunity but with a run of games could quickly cement himself into our back line
he is physically ready , it will be form and opportunities

Markov - the club showed faith in him with a two year extension , yes he's an outside player but you need them all
he shows flashes of something, he might become a real run and carry weapon

Short was busy last year but many complained about him missing targets and about his one on one defensive efforts
if he can tidy up those areas he'll go from handy to WOW

I feel those four are our best chance of getting a new A grader
they are all both physically and mentally mature , been in the system a little while
plus we now have the environment for these types to blossom ie(Lambert, Grimmes , Vlas , Caddy from season 1 to last year ...)

fingers crossed a couple step up and keep the tigger train rolling :)
From memory Broad had stepped up and was playing very good footy till he had his cheekbone broken...

elite
/eɪˈliːt,ɪˈliːt/
noun
noun: elite; plural noun: elites

1. 1.
    a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society.
    "the elite of Britain's armed forces"

It's interesting to hear and read people's reference to elite players. This thread was written proposing the discussion of the next A-grade player(s) at Richmond. To introduce the term Elite into the discussion takes it whole different direction from a pool of say 44 to a pool of say 800. Massive difference. Also, being considered an A-grader at a Club is no certainty of ever being Elite. Nor is being a Club Captain or even a Brownlow Medallist in a given year.

Last edited:

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
McGovern would be in our top 5 players. Dusty, Rance, Riewoldt, Cotchin, McGovern. I rate him big time. Stood up when it mattered.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

mcgovern is a great player - yet i rate Vlastuin and Grimes big time too

big5 would still be; Chimp/Jack/Dusty/Rance/Lynch imo

Last edited:

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond

Patrick Cripps
Brodie Grundy
Nathan Fyfe
Patrick Dangerfield
Josh Kelly
Max Gawn
Dustin Martin
Alex Rance
Lance Franklin
Jeremy McGovern

Wouldn't build a list around Franklin, he's cooked.
McGovern = meh
Dangerfield, 4 years ago
Rance, getting on in age
Fyfe = look at me, look at me, not a fan
So, yeah, the only 3 I'd pick from that lot would be Grundy, Kelly and Gawn. The rest are getting on and would be gone by the time the list is built.

McGovern would be Richmonds fourth best defender.

I would not sell the farm for cripps
That's the thing with personal opinions they will vary greatly.

I would suggest that if Cripps played for us your opinion would be quite different. In fact I'd suggest that he'd be rated equal to or just behind Dusty.

McGovern = meh
Dangerfield, 4 years ago
Rance, getting on in age
So, yeah, the only 3 I'd pick from that lot would be Grundy, Kelly and Gawn. The rest are getting on and would be gone by the time the list is built.

Franklin still demands the best defender from every other side that plays Sydney. Not bad for a bloke that is cooked.
McGovern would be our second best defender behind Rance.
Danger and Rance might be getting on in age, but I'd still take them and have my younger players learn off of them what it takes to become a top 5 player in the comp. Fyfe is also getting on a little and his recent injuries have made people forget how dominant he was in his Brownlow year, not forgetting how well he started this year before slowing down. Again I'd have him as an example to the younger kids what it takes to be a top line player.

But as I said above, personal opinions are a great way to generate discussion. I don't expect everyone to share the opinions I have of players.

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
That's the thing with personal opinions they will vary greatly.

I would suggest that if Cripps played for us your opinion would be quite different. In fact I'd suggest that he'd be rated equal to or just behind Dusty.

Franklin still demands the best defender from every other side that plays Sydney. Not bad for a bloke that is cooked.
McGovern would be our second best defender behind Rance.
Danger and Rance might be getting on in age, but I'd still take them and have my younger players learn off of them what it takes to become a top 5 player in the comp. Fyfe is also getting on a little and his recent injuries have made people forget how dominant he was in his Brownlow year, not forgetting how well he started this year before slowing down. Again I'd have him as an example to the younger kids what it takes to be a top line player.

But as I said above, personal opinions are a great way to generate discussion. I don't expect everyone to share the opinions I have of players.

I guess what I'm saying is that if ya gonna build a contending team then those players that you build around have to be around when you are contending.

So, who are the 'up and comers' that you you would build around?

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
McGovern = meh
Dangerfield, 4 years ago
Rance, getting on in age

If you are building a new side you'd want a gun KPP or mid

Tom Lynch, Cameron, J Kelly, Martin types; like you say the age factor is important in that scenario

rucks are a bit overrated in comparison - Nankervis can nullify them on his day.

Nicnat is great but injuries. Grundy is younger than Gawn so he would probably be the go if you wanted a ruck badly

Back