The graveyard thread for endless off topic posturing on persons causing bi-polar responses

Remove this Banner Ad

1. No doctors went to him on the bench. No one was overly concerned.

a) How do they know he faked it immediately if he wasn't examined?

b) Why was he not dropped and played in the Magpies if he was faking injuries?

a) How do they know he faked it immediately if he wasn't examined?

b) Why was he not dropped and played in the Magpies if he was faking injuries?

If Wingard should have been dropped but he wasn't, what does that actually change and why is it important?

You might say the coaches have an inconsistent message that might have confused Chad at the end of the year, but if he was prepared to leave the Club with a year still on his contract then he clearly didn't respond well to criticism.

I love the definitive statements like "we were never going anywhere with him in the team". I hope someone is collating all of this because i am too lazy to go back and dig it all up later in the season.

I am not 100% sure but i would wager money that most Port people would have a larger number of coaching staff in mind with that statement way before a talented player such as Wingard.

But no, no please keep on with the character assassination of one player (which changes each year as does our list) because i am now expecting to finish top 4 and have a very successful finals campaign based on the assurances that Wingard was the toxic tumour that has now been excised and we are finally free to play to our abilities. Bring it on Port. I can't wait. It has been promised by the messenger.

Can't wait to see who is the next target to blame. We should run a competition on who the zealot/s will turn on next when it all doesn't magically fall into place.

I love the definitive statements like "we were never going anywhere with him in the team". I hope someone is collating all of this because i am too lazy to go back and dig it all up later in the season.

I am not 100% sure but i would wager money that most Port people would have a larger number of coaching staff in mind with that statement way before a talented player such as Wingard.

But no, no please keep on with the character assassination of one player (which changes each year as does our list) because i am now expecting to finish top 4 and have a very successful finals campaign based on the assurances that Wingard was the toxic tumour that has now been excised and we are finally free to play to our abilities. Bring it on Port. I can't wait. It has been promised by the messenger.

Can't wait to see who is the next target to blame. We should run a competition on who the zealot/s will turn on next when it all doesn't magically fall into place.

v06N8.gif

*It's never about one player* I believe that tired old football saying and it can be used in describing both a successful team & an absolute rabble.

Janus has some interesting thoughts and I enjoy reading them if not often agreeing but the one player assassinations because they somehow bring down the whole show and the club to a screeching halt from Aaron Young to Wingard are just bunkum.

I got news for ya even premiership sides carry players with deficiencies.

Last edited:
Not if you've ever played sport carrying a niggling injury before, no. He's hardly the first player to miss a week with hamstring tightness.

A niggling injury stays a niggling injury throughout the season. It doesn’t (or at least shouldn’t) magically get better halfway through the season, and it should actually get progressively worse (as it did with Ryder).

I’m asking if after he was shifted to midfield was he ever complaining about a tight hamstring in those ten or so games. If it was an injury based on a physiological problem, he would have, because you run much more in the midfield than in the forward line.

He reported hamstring soreness through preaseason, after R2 and in R6. Why did it suddenly clear up once he shifted to the midfield?

He never had an issue with his hamstrings all through 2017, missing games with a calf and an ankle. He also played more midfield minutes in 2017.

Then when we recruit Rockliff and Motlop and ask Chad to go back to being a predominant forward player, surprise surprise, the hamstring signalling starts up again...only to clear when he gets put into the midfield full time.

I’ll tell you what I think. I think he was pissed off that not only did we turf out Trengove and trade Impey, but that we traded in Rockliff to take his midfield minutes. I think it was at that point he decided he was leaving at the end of his contract, and that’s when his mind started creating niggles that he shouldn’t have been getting based on how slack he was at training.

He might have changed his mind briefly when he went into the midfield, but when Ken sat him down at the end of the year and said he was going back forward (because he doesn’t have the tank to run out games), instead of saying he’ll do whatever the team needs, he cracked the shits. Then the club said see ya.

It’s easy to love someone when they are doing things you like. It’s when they want to do something you hate that the love is proven.

If Wingard had fallen into line and stayed, of course we’d be better off. But since he didn’t, I’d much rather have a tight knit group that is committed to the following, in this exact order:

1. Pressure (which creates turnovers, reduces opposition disposal efficiency and creates contested possession opportunities)

2. Intercept possessions from half back forward (which creates opportunities for run and spread through fast break situations where the opposition is caught out of position)

3. Run and spread (which creates increased disposal efficiency through uncontested possession and contested possession through loose ball gets)

Not surprisingly, all three are based on having a proactive defence.

We focus on those three things - which I’ve been consistent as saying they being the fundamentals to success - and we’ll win most games. That’s all I want - just one season where everyone is committed to doing those three things, week in week out. If Chad was here and was committed to being a player that was focused on that, we’d win even more.

He’s not here because he didn’t want to commit to that. That’s not a character assassination, that’s just a fact.

Personally if I knew back then what I know about him now, I would have never said we could win the flag until he was gone.

And no, that doesn’t mean we will win it now he’s gone. It just means you’re never going to win one with a star player displaying that sort of attitude. I’ll quite happily be definitive about that.

Last edited:
standard franchise supporters off season.

phase 1 (end of season/watching finals): under expectations season with glimpses of some good form comes to a disappointing end, some small hope, might improve a spot or 2 next year.

phase 2 (trade period): club has picked up a couple of wise selections in important positions and got rid of a couple that players were good currency, we can do without them and compensation for them was a small boost. should be much more competitive than first thought.

phase 3 (draft): next Buddy Franklin/Gary Ablett/Nat Fyfe has been selected with the first 3 picks who will instantly replace those overrated hacks we traded out.

phase 4: (pre-season): option 1. smashing teams in the warm up matches, all those moves in the off season are worthy of a moneyball sequel, no hopers previously discarded could have been traded out for a packet of chips and we would still be better off. draftees look like Rising star faves and the traded in players look set for a break out year. option 2. working down the house, every one is fit, losing the first pre-season games mean nothing we were just getting some games into some players and trying a few things. we need to be peaking in the last week of september all is looking great, premiership faves.

rinse, repeat for 25-50 years or until the people running the club who should be held to account are actually held to account or walk away from their posts in search of something more fulfilling.

Blame the individual and the collective get off scot-free.. s**t mentality

No, the collective have to pull their weight to ensure they remain part of the collective. Otherwise they too become an individual and get whitewashed out of history.

We’re in Stalinist Russia here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get that people are upset Wingard left but I just don’t get what rationale the people who see him as without any blame can give for the club trading him.
Do they think the club just did it on a whim?
Just curious because in my mind, a club doesn’t let a star walk without good reason.
As I said, curious of the alternative point of view.

I get that people are upset Wingard left but I just don’t get what rationale the people who see him as without any blame can give for the club trading him.
Just curious because in my mind, a club doesn’t let a star walk without good reason.

Forced out, bullied, singled out or mismanaged.

Some people don't wanna accept that he saw an opportunity to move on and took it.

The idea that an individual player has to love the Club as much as supporters do is wrong and acting like that's not a possibility just looks like jilted ex-lover syndrome. Its the kind of behaviour that we accuse our cross-town rival supporters of when one of their favourites leave.

No, the collective have to pull their weight to ensure they remain part of the collective. Otherwise they too become an individual and get whitewashed out of history.

We’re in Stalinist Russia here.
I just fear we will be right here next year with the next scapegoat dominating discussion.. something is wrong with this picture.

well it achieves nothing debating this after trade period because he's gone, but you only need to look at premiership teams of past to realise Ben Cousins carried WCE to a flag. Steve Johnson wins a norm smith, Didak, Swan premiership players brownlow medalist the latter.

then we trade out an exceptional talent because we can't get the best out of him. a blight on the club.

There’s a recurring theme that Wingard was a lot of hard work. There’s also zero evidence he intended to be at the club beyond 2019. He started pre-season overweight and spent a fair chunk of the season playing catch up. With this in mind I do have to wonder how genuine that 6th place B&F was. We know that B&F finishes factor into FA compo and it helps the club ask a higher price at the trade table.

Wingard’s behaviour on field in 2018 was probably the worst it has ever been - he was petulant and intentionally didn’t take shots on goal when he had the opportunity (seemingly to follow the game plan which % wise didn’t make sense).

In any case, if we do perform better in 2019, it will reflect poorly on Wingard, and Polec.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back