Gideon Haigh SLAMS Justin Langer. Destroys Cricket Australia with logic and facts.

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a bit hard to do when there is no cricket on unfortunately. Our schedule is an absolute joke, but that's another issue.
Ashton Agar had the same problem. Was taken on tour then left out subsequently with no real reason other than "get better". Agar suggested if CA would like him to run the water out quicker, or something similar.

That's a bit hard to do when there is no cricket on unfortunately. Our schedule is an absolute joke, but that's another issue.
You’re right, Maxwell will be playing one dayers in India when Sheffield shield starts up again. Unless they pick him on one day form he’s screwed.

Labuschagne made a 50 for Queensland against a NSW outfit boasting the Australian bowling attack. He also bowls leg spin which is why he was picked on a pitch which churns out huge totals. I’m all for maxwell in the team but he needs to do what Harris did for Victoria and make some decent scores.

Lol. Maxwell made 100 against the side that just came here and bollocked Australia. Over there.

Lol. Maxwell made 100 against the side that just came here and bollocked Australia. Over there.

It's a joke he's not even in the discussion, he should have been the all rounder they picked instead of Mitch Marsh. I'm a fan of Travis Head as well but I don't see why you wouldn't pick Maxwell instead of him anyway.

It's a joke he's not even in the discussion, he should have been the all rounder they picked instead of Mitch Marsh. I'm a fan of Travis Head as well but I don't see why you wouldn't pick Maxwell instead of him anyway.

The selectors were obsessed with an allrounder that can bowl pace. They hadn't thought that GOAT needed any backup from another right arm offie.

Personally I reckon an all-rounder is a luxury we can't afford. Select 6 pure batsmen. Would be handy if one or two of them could bowl some spin of a different variety to GOAT, either a leggie or a left arm finger spinner. But it is not vital.

Labuschagne made a 50 for Queensland against a NSW outfit boasting the Australian bowling attack. He also bowls leg spin which is why he was picked on a pitch which churns out huge totals. I’m all for maxwell in the team but he needs to do what Harris did for Victoria and make some decent scores.
Don't disagree. On the other hand, it helps if he's available for Shield selection and not being shafted by the selectors.

The selectors were obsessed with an allrounder that can bowl pace. They hadn't thought that GOAT needed any backup from another right arm offie.

Personally I reckon an all-rounder is a luxury we can't afford. Select 6 pure batsmen. Would be handy if one or two of them could bowl some spin of a different variety to GOAT, either a leggie or a left arm finger spinner. But it is not vital.
India managed to bowl Australia out easily with 2 spinners, 2 pace bowlers and 2 other part time spinners. Australia couldn't even land the ball near the stumps with the 3 pace bowlers they had.

Damn it would be nice to have someone like Kuldeep in this team.

Don't disagree. On the other hand, it helps if he's available for Shield selection and not being shafted by the selectors.
Maxwell has averaged 53 since the start of last season

He will never be able to make 800 FC runs in a year due to white ball commitments, but he can't do much more than average 50+

Maxwell has averaged 53 since the start of last season

He will never be able to make 800 FC runs in a year due to white ball commitments, but he can't do much more than average 50+
Doesn't help when you're the 12th man for an entire series, then have white ball commitments and barely play any shield, and you're being told to make centuries. Not sure how he's going to do that if he's not playing, makes no sense.

Trevor Hohn's pretty much ruled test cricket out for him until 2020. If the selected players come good, then it will look like another inspired move, but if it doesn't, which it won't, then they'll look like a pack of out-of-touch, two-faced biased muppets. They already are, but it'll just be more obvious.

Australian Test coach Justin Langer has strongly denied speculation selectors have an underlying issue with Glenn Maxwell's personality.
Langer tersely shot down rumours there were other forces at play behind the Victorian batsman being overlooked for the upcoming two-Test series against Sri Lanka.
"Glenn is crystal clear from me and the selectors on what he needs to do to get back in the Test team. There have been some reports about personality: it is literally false. It's not true. All the conjecture about it - that's all part of the noise," he said.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/langer-shoots-down-maxwell-whispers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australian Test coach Justin Langer has strongly denied speculation selectors have an underlying issue with Glenn Maxwell's personality.
Langer tersely shot down rumours there were other forces at play behind the Victorian batsman being overlooked for the upcoming two-Test series against Sri Lanka.
"Glenn is crystal clear from me and the selectors on what he needs to do to get back in the Test team. There have been some reports about personality: it is literally false. It's not true. All the conjecture about it - that's all part of the noise," he said.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/langer-shoots-down-maxwell-whispers
Would love to know what exactly has got to do then?

Averaged 37 in his last block of tests before being dropped, has averaged over 50 since the start of last season and has a FC average better than every batsmen picked after the SA debacle except for Khawaja.

Maxwell isn't the only one that has been stuffed around

Renshaw was dropped one test after being recalled even though he had just finished a county season averaging 50 plus. He's now been recalled after averaging 19 in the shield season

Burns was dropped one test after being recalled. Made a 40 odd in that test and was averaging over 50 in FC cricket for 2 years

Both these two were dropped for a guy that hasn't opened the batting for 3 years and Victoria refused to let him open the batting

Players were told they would be picked on weight of runs and when Wade did this he still wasn't picked. After going to the media to say he hadn't been contacted by a selector he then got an email from JL. Apparently batting at 6 means his runs aren't as valuable which might be fair enough, but why wasn't he told this when he could actually do something about it?

Averaged 37 in his last block of tests before being dropped, has averaged over 50 since the start of last season and has a FC average better than every batsmen picked after the SA debacle except for Khawaja.

Simple - score hundreds.

Scoring hundreds gets you noticed by the selectors more than having a high average. They don't mind if a bloke has a few failures or is a bad starter, as long as he can go on and make hundreds if he gets in and gets set. It always has been the case. A bloke who makes a couple of hundreds and a couple of ducks will always get selected ahead of a bloke who made 4 x 50s - even though their average will be very similar.

Maxwell made one big hundred early in the 2017/18 shield season, but hasn't made another one since then. It does inflate his figures a bit for the period you are choosing. Unfortunately for him the test team in Ashes series were doing OK at the time so he wasn't selected.

We are cherry picking certain blocks of Tests to scrape up a mediocre average now? The case him is stronger for his inclusion than against imo, but for anybody even remotely objective the latter is still there. I mean if all the fanboy melters actually said sensible stuff like yeah he was pretty crap for most of his Test matches, but he did score a magnificent hundred away that showed what he can do and he's been a solid FC performer, quality fielder, handy bowler they should give him another chance.

But instead it's the selectors are corrupt! ohmergerd ****in Langer! Labuschange is awful and Maxwell should have his spot!

We are cherry picking certain blocks of Tests to scrape up a mediocre average now? The case him is stronger for his inclusion than against imo, but for anybody even remotely objective the latter is still there. I mean if all the fanboy melters actually said sensible stuff like yeah he was pretty crap for most of his Test matches, but he did score a magnificent hundred away that showed what he can do and he's been a solid FC performer, quality fielder, handy bowler they should give him another chance.

But instead it's the selectors are corrupt! ohmergerd ****in Langer! Labuschange is awful and Maxwell should have his spot!
I don't think I'm a fan boy at all. I just believe that he's got a better case than others that have been selected.

And I don't believe the selectors are corrupt I just believe they are more likely not very good at their job and they have proven that over the last 12 months.

I've stated my reasons on this quite a few times and it goes beyond Glenn Maxwell.

As for cherry picking, I stated his stats for the last block of test matches he played before being dropped. If that's cherry picking than fine, but I think it's quite relevant to the argument when it was his most recent crack at test cricket and his average for that time was higher than anyone averaged over our most recent test series on home soil.

Simple - score hundreds.

Scoring hundreds gets you noticed by the selectors more than having a high average. They don't mind if a bloke has a few failures or is a bad starter, as long as he can go on and make hundreds if he gets in and gets set. It always has been the case. A bloke who makes a couple of hundreds and a couple of ducks will always get selected ahead of a bloke who made 4 x 50s - even though their average will be very similar.

Maxwell made one big hundred early in the 2017/18 shield season, but hasn't made another one since then. It does inflate his figures a bit for the period you are choosing. Unfortunately for him the test team in Ashes series were doing OK at the time so he wasn't selected.

But many other guys who have come into the side haven’t scored hundreds either. So basically what you are saying is if no one is scoring hundreds averages don’t matter and they just pick the most ‘top bloke’? Because that’s what it seems like

But many other guys who have come into the side haven’t scored hundreds either. So basically what you are saying is if no one is scoring hundreds averages don’t matter and they just pick the most ‘top bloke’? Because that’s what it seems like

Again this argument. Somebody else being s**t does not make Maxwell good. He is not better than any of the other guys. He is just not as good as you think he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back