• Sam Mitchell

• Jason Akermanis

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
To say Lappin is a better player than any of Hodge, Mitchell or Burgoyne is laughable in extremis!....Lappin was an outside player & is more comparable to Isaac Smith than any other Hawk......Finally 4 Premierships >>>3....There's another nice measure of which midfield was the superior one.

Your post is a clear troll

Lulz. You’re at it again. Nah Lappin was a 4 time AA. Deadset gun. Hodge and Mitchell the only ones coming close to Lappin in both talent and contested ball winning. Smith or Burgoyne? Yeah nah.

And claiming that Hawk midfield won 4 flags; why not just throw Platten in the mix and call it 8? What a desperate reach for means to overrate your own players.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Lulz. You’re at it again. Nah Lappin was a 4 time AA. Deadset gun. Hodge and Mitchell the only ones coming close to Lappin in both talent and contested ball winning. Smith or Burgoyne? Yeah nah.

And claiming that Hawk midfield won 4 flags; why not just throw Platten in the mix and call it 8? What a desperate reach for means to overrate your own players.

I'm sorry that Healy's constant ignoring of Burgoyne, Mitchell & Hodge for AA honours stands as any kind of an objective measure in posters minds.....Because I hate to break it to all you lads.....It isn't.

And your last line re Platten is just sheer silliness, that even a 6 year old could see through.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
I'm sorry that Healy's constant ignoring of Burgoyne, Mitchell & Hodge for AA honours stands as any kind of an objective measure in posters minds.....Because I hate to break it to all you lads.....It isn't.

And your last line re Platten is just sheer silliness, that even a 6 year old could see through.

You’re comparing a guy with 4 AA’s to a guy within none. That’s almost as good a furphy as claiming Smith and Burgoyne belonged to a midfield that won 4 premierships.

Herne Hill Hammer

10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
Comparable careers?....Yes.
Comparable players?.....No.

Acker had the skills & the x-factor, while Sammy was a metronome.....Absolutely nothing alike as players.

Yep.

Aker is a starter in the team of the best I've seen in over 40 years of watching, Mitchell by the end might have made his way onto the bench, maybe.

The reason for that is that they are different footballers and played different positions. Mitchell is really competing for one spot as a centreman so for starters he has Diesel and Voss and I wouldn't have him in front of Diesel and could perhaps be swayed to have him level or just in front of Voss. I could have Aker on a wing or on a hff so he's competing for 1 of 4 spots.

Feb 24, 2013
Mitchell wouldn't blow wind up Akers arse.

Mitchell was far more consistent & reliable than Ackermanis & a far superior leader to boot.....Seldom wasted a possession when he had it & had the best deceleration of any player going.....His vision on a football field in tight & within a 40 meter arc was second to none.

Acker was the Cyril Rioli of the Brisbane power sides of the early 21st C.....In the same way that Sizzle had superior & sublime skills than Sammy did....Only in that way was Acker a 'better' footballer.

In all other facets in a footballing context, Sammy has both Cyril & Acker on toast, every day of the week & twice on Sundays.

I may as well start a thread saying that Sizzle was a better player than Michael Voss......Because from the perspective in which most posters here are arguing for Acker, he was.

Cold Sober

Sep 28, 2016
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Mitchell was far more consistent & reliable than Ackermanis & a far superior leader to boot.....Seldom wasted a possession when he had it & had the best deceleration of any player going.....His vision on a football field in tight & within a 40 meter arc was second to none.

Acker was the Cyril Rioli of the Brisbane power sides of the early 21st C.....In the same way that Sizzle had superior & sublime skills than Sammy did....Only in that way was Acker a 'better' footballer.

In all other facets in a footballing context, Sammy has both Cyril & Acker on toast, every day of the week & twice on Sundays.

I may as well start a thread saying that Sizzle was a better player than Michael Voss......Because from the perspective in which most posters here are arguing for Acker, he was.
Mitchell wouldn't blow wind up akers arse.

Feb 24, 2013
When speaking of the top 20 players in the AFL of the 21st century, Sam Mitchell is front & centre of the conversation.

While Jacker-manis aint even in the picture....Lets get realistic here people.

Sam Mitchell was a bona-fide champion....While Jacker was a side-show entertainment reel in the Peter Bosustow mould.....End of story.

Feb 24, 2013
Don't ever leave BF please. You are an inspiration to all who participate in this den of knowledge.

Now you're just trying to butter me up.

No seriously....Comparing 'sideshow-bob's' comedy routine favourably, to possibly the greatest centreman this century, is giving me the girly giggles.

The O/P has likely created the best running gag-reel going currently on bigfooty, when it comes to all things pertaining to football knowledge & history.

Which says altogether rather more about the lack of footballing nous & discernment of bigfooty demographics, than anything else...

But even more than that still....The ginormous Hawk chip on both shoulders of the bigfooty frat.
1547201143769.png

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
I wouldn't have him in front of Diesel

Diesel Williams was a much better footballer than Mitchell as hard as it is to believe.
He was arguably the most damaging user of the footy the game has ever seen.
He literally never wasted a disposal and his handball skills are legendary.
Furthermore, Diesel wasn't just a stat accumulator, he kicked goals and he was always getting smacked around but still ran out in the 2nd half and got 20 disposals.
He was brilliant at every club he played with as well so it wasn't the teammates he had around him which made him better.

Geelong would have played finals in 1984 had he not hurt his knee halfway through the year.
I'm also of the opinion that had he not been traded to Sydney in 1986, Geelong would have won either the 89 or 92 grand final.

Herne Hill Hammer

10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
Diesel Williams was a much better footballer than Mitchell as hard as it is to believe.
Furthermore, Diesel wasn't just a stat accumulator, he kicked goals and he was always getting smacked around but still ran out in the 2nd half and got 20 disposals.
He was brilliant at every club he played with as well so it wasn't the teammates he had around him which made him better.

Geelong would have played finals in 1984 had he not hurt his knee halfway through the year.
I'm also of the opinion that had he not been traded to Sydney in 1986, Geelong would have won either the 89 or 92 grand final.

Would have won in '89 and '92 imho.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Comparable careers?....Yes.
Comparable players?.....No.

Acker had the skills & the x-factor, while Sammy was a metronome.....Absolutely nothing alike as players.

This. Seems like a weird comparison.

I feel as though something like Aker vs. Stevie J might be more appropriate.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings

The 1992 Cats were already one of the most potent attacking sides ever. They averaged 138.95 points per game during that season. Imagining them with Diesel in the mix is insane. Diesel (29 years old), Bairstow (29 years old), Couch (28 years old), Buddha (24 years old) and Robert Scott (23 years old, averaged 19 disposals and 2 tackles per game, and kicked 42 goals for the year, kind of a similar impact player to Aker) in their primes would have been one of the all-time great midfield combos.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
Valleys. Chelsea.
This. Seems like a weird comparison.

I feel as though something like Aker vs. Stevie J might be more appropriate.
Agree, I did create a poll for this match up a few years ago, Akermanis absolutely dominated the poll, I was surprised it wasn't a bit closer.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/jason-akermanis-v-steve-johnson.1120029/

The match up in this current poll (Aker v Mitchell) is unusual, I also started a poll a while ago for Simon Black V Sam Mitchell which is more of a match up of similar styles. Black dominated this one as well, I actually voted for Mitchell by a hairs breath in that one.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/sam-mitchell-v-simon-black.1122804/

Feb 24, 2013
Agree, I did create a poll for this match up a few years ago, Akermanis absolutely dominated the poll, I was surprised it wasn't a bit closer.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/jason-akermanis-v-steve-johnson.1120029/

The match up in this current poll (Aker v Mitchell) is unusual, I also started a poll a while ago for Simon Black V Sam Mitchell which is more of a match up of similar styles. Black dominated this one as well, I actually voted for Mitchell by a hairs breath in that one.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/sam-mitchell-v-simon-black.1122804/

Put it down to a combo of Hawk envy/hatred Jason.....For that's all that it is.....Human resentment.

Our mob were every bit as successful & more than both the Brisbane & Geelong Dynasties & our record from 2011-2016 almost entirely matches that of the Cats from 2007-2012.....And yet they had well over 2x the amount of AA's than we did with the exact same record, over those 2 commensurate periods.

Go figure that one out.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
Valleys. Chelsea.
Put it down to a combo of Hawk envy/hatred Jason.....For that's all that it is.....Human resentment.

Our mob were every bit as successful & more than both the Brisbane & Geelong Dynasties & our record from 2011-2016 almost entirely matches that of the Cats from 2007-2012.....And yet they had well over 2x the amount of AA's than we did with the exact same record, over those 2 commensurate periods.

Go figure that one out.
Simon Black and Sam Mitchell were awesome players, they will both go down as all time greats IMO, hall of fame locks.

I'm just happy the Hawks sent one of their other greats up here to us, not only do I get to see our boy Hodgey play at the Gabba through the year but I also live just around the corner from where we train and I go regularly to the sessions. Hodge has been a massive positive for us on and off field and while he wont play in our next flag I hope he is on our coaching staff when we do.

Feb 24, 2013
Simon Black and Sam Mitchell were awesome players, they will both go down as all time greats IMO, hall of fame locks.

I'm just happy the Hawks sent one of their other greats up here to us, not only do I get to see our boy Hodgey play at the Gabba through the year but I also live just around the corner from where we train and I go regularly to the sessions. Hodge has been a massive positive for us on and off field and while he wont play in our next flag I hope he is on our coaching staff when we do.

I'm fairly certain that we had a hand in providing your club with it's current coach also.....That's a 2 for 1 combo meal deal....An off-field coach & an on-field one.

Not to mention the fact that the last 6 AFL premierships, have all come from our coaching stable/ranks.

Maybe the AFL should give us a stipend for providing the industry with it's coaching academy for free.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
The 1992 Cats were already one of the most potent attacking sides ever. They averaged 138.95 points per game during that season. Imagining them with Diesel in the mix is insane. Diesel (29 years old), Bairstow (29 years old), Couch (28 years old), Buddha (24 years old) and Robert Scott (23 years old, averaged 19 disposals and 2 tackles per game, and kicked 42 goals for the year, kind of a similar impact player to Aker) in their primes would have been one of the all-time great midfield combos.

Hocking had a tendency to go missing in action come finals time. Wasn't his usual-self when the team needed him most unfortunately.
Bairstow was similar. These guys just couldn't play consistently when the stakes were heightened.
Couch was a lot more consistent for some reason.

A guy like Diesel (and Sam Mitchell for that matter), they rarely played poorly in September.
I will never rank that Geelong midfield as all-time great for that very reason.
You think about the 1989 grand final and how poorly some of our midfielder's were, just needed a couple to snap out of it and we may have just done enough in the end.

The Geelong midfield of recent times...Bartel, Ablett, Selwood, Corey, Kelly, now they are a different animal all together and truly in the discussion for all-time great midfield's.

Feb 6, 2016
When speaking of the top 20 players in the AFL of the 21st century, Sam Mitchell is front & centre of the conversation.

While Jacker-manis aint even in the picture....Lets get realistic here people.

Sam Mitchell was a bona-fide champion....While Jacker was a side-show entertainment reel in the Peter Bosustow mould.....End of story.

Lol. Sam Mitchell isnt even getting a seat at table to look the top 20 of the 21st Century.

Judd
GAJ
Voss
N Riewoldt
Jono Brown
M Lloyd
Scarlett
B Lake
Josh Kennedy
Franklin
Goodes
Tredders
Cripps (oh I went there)
Gawn
Cox
Goldstein
D Martin
Dangerfield
Milne
Betts
Hodge
C Rioli
Fevola
Burgoyne
Richo
Mcpharlin
Pavlich
Cousins
Roughead
Dane Swan
Fyfe

Thats off the top of my head. Zero research went into that list. I deliberately left out Akermanis as I voted for him anyways.

Feb 24, 2013
Lol. Sam Mitchell isnt even getting a seat at table to look the top 20 of the 21st Century.

Judd
GAJ
Voss
N Riewoldt
Jono Brown
M Lloyd
Scarlett
B Lake
Josh Kennedy
Franklin
Goodes
Tredders
Cripps (oh I went there)
Gawn
Cox
Goldstein
D Martin
Dangerfield
Milne
Betts
Hodge
C Rioli
Fevola
Burgoyne
Richo
Mcpharlin
Pavlich
Cousins
Roughead
Dane Swan
Fyfe

Thats off the top of my head. Zero research went into that list. I deliberately left out Akermanis as I voted for him anyways.

Gawd…..You're trippin.

Sammy has half that lot covered & then some.