Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pattinson has plenty of campaigner in him. Would love to see him fully fit against England and just going hell for leather. The verbal stomach between him and Anderson would be next level. Such a shame injuries have struck him down. Really want to see him play and do a Rodney Hogg with 41 and 12!

Doesn’t this go against us trying to be the nice guys of world cricket?

FWIW I think it’s a load of crap, just keep the sandpaper away and get stuck in.

As bad a bowling attack the Sri Lankans may possess it is also possibly the most mentally fragile batting lineup they have faced in some time.

The problem with all of this debate between everybody is, we are all trying to rationalise what the selectors are doing based on historical norms. The standard manner of selecting a side has been thrown out by the many factors. Three types of cricket being played and form lines being difficult to follow as players move between them, the sandpaper incident and the loss of the best 2 batsmen in the country, the desire to change the culture of Australian cricket, the selectors seemingly not following their own directives...

This all coincided with India sending over a great side.

I am not defending the selectors. I think they have made a mess of the situation, but suggestions made by cricket fans regarding Wade, Maxwell, Burns, Renshaw, Pucovski all seem to be polarising in a way that has never happened because the whole thing is a massive hot mess. This is going to continue for quite a while, because we don't seem any closer to knowing what the best 11 is for Test cricket at least than we did a year ago and every person with an interest has their own opinion.

Beating Sri Lanka won't prove much so it will go on.

I almost fell like people don’t want to give Wade another shot even though he currently deserves a go back on form (as a batsman not a keeper) because he comes across as a flog.

I’d rather we pump some in form flogs with a bit of an up yours mentally into the team that would help us show a winning mentality and a bit of fight, rather than some of these run of the mill form, pathetic, weak, feeble minded, nice guys who are too scared to express themselves because of the Cape Town incident.

This team is crying out for some characters that show some fire. Maybe we should just throw both Maxwell and Wade back in there as well as Pattinson when he is ready to return. Renshaw to open with Harris, Khawaja and either Head/Burns 3 and 4. Maxwell/Labaschagne to fight it out for 5 and act as a part time spinner to help Lyon out. Wade 6, Paine 7, Cummins 8, and have Pattinson come in for either Starc or Hazlewood, Lyon.
Whether Matthew Wade has fire or not is completely irrelevant.

He should be in the team because our batting is failing and he is the highest run-scorer in Shield cricket this season. End of.

The problem with all of this debate between everybody is, we are all trying to rationalise what the selectors are doing based on historical norms. The standard manner of selecting a side has been thrown out by the many factors. Three types of cricket being played and form lines being difficult to follow as players move between them, the sandpaper incident and the loss of the best 2 batsmen in the country, the desire to change the culture of Australian cricket, the selectors seemingly not following their own directives...

This all coincided with India sending over a great side.

I am not defending the selectors. I think they have made a mess of the situation, but suggestions made by cricket fans regarding Wade, Maxwell, Burns, Renshaw, Pucovski all seem to be polarising in a way that has never happened because the whole thing is a massive hot mess. This is going to continue for quite a while, because we don't seem any closer to knowing what the best 11 is for Test cricket at least than we did a year ago and every person with an interest has their own opinion.

Beating Sri Lanka won't prove much so it will go on.

I predicted the new brave culture people seemingly wanted prior to the Indian series would take a back seat if we lost, and so it’s proven.

Not saying if we were campaigners we would of won, but it seems that a lot of sections are being made on trying to pick good blokes/characters and the whole selection process seems all over the place, it’s a hodgepodge of some form, random hunches and favourites

Shaun Marsh and Mitchell Marsh are arguably two of the worst players to play test cricket for Australia this decade. I call it as it is, not because they're a couple of clowns from WA.
Accuses others of bias, then engages in bias and hyperbole.

SMarsh is very inconsistent and his average of 35 probably reflects his worth as a Test player. But he has an impressive Shield record, Test centuries against quality attacks and in difficult conditions. A whole bunch of worse players have been tried and ejected in the past 10 years. But hey, he’s from WA :drunk:

Does anyone "in the know" have info on how well Pattinson is progressing with his fitness.
He's looked okay in the Big Bash but I hope and pray that he can finally maintain his health
as I truly believe he is a key player for Oz in the Ashes battle. Excellent County season before
his latest setback.

Cummins and Pattinson will form an excellent new ball attack as well as being more than
competent with the bat. They have the "right stuff" We bloody well need players with heart and
aggression.

SMarsh is very inconsistent and his average of 35 probably reflects his worth as a Test player. But he has an impressive Shield record, Test centuries against quality attacks and in difficult conditions. A whole bunch of worse players have been tried and ejected in the past 10 years. But hey, he’s from WA :drunk:

Name some players with a similar amount of Tests who you consider worse.

Doesn’t this go against us trying to be the nice guys of world cricket?

FWIW I think it’s a load of crap, just keep the sandpaper away and get stuck in.
* being nice. I don’t reckon one of Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Simonds, Gilly, Lee, Warne, McGrath or Gillespie would ever be described as nice! Yet they were world beaters and filled us with years of viewing pleasure!!!!!!

Both have played more than 30 tests. Both have failed in far more tests than they've succeeded in.

Sure, there's been a few rubbish players that have played a handful of tests, but I dare you to name two worse cricketers than the Marsh brothers, minimum 30 tests for Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**** being nice. I don’t reckon one of Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Simonds, Gilly, Lee, Warne, McGrath or Gillespie would ever be described as nice! Yet they were world beaters and filled us with years of viewing pleasure!!!!!!
That golden era produced a lot of incredible individual performances but at the same time we saw a lot of bloody boring, one sided cricket.

Both have played more than 30 tests. Both have failed in far more tests than they've succeeded in.

Sure, there's been a few rubbish players that have played a handful of tests, but I dare you to name two worse cricketers than the Marsh brothers, minimum 30 tests for Australia.

Given how many more Tests there are today than there used to be, this is a silly 'dare'.

Shane Watson. After that, I'm struggling.

I'm from WA. The Marsh brothers are awful.

I don't believe Shaun is in our top two worst ever Test cricketers but Watson was definitely better. There was a period of about two years where he was our best batsman including scoring a ton in India along with a lot of crucial 50s at the top of the order. He was also a very handy bowler.

Name some players with a similar amount of Tests who you consider worse.
That wasn’t the question; worse players don’t usually play that many Tests. So he’s significantly better than many.

I feel Shaun gets an unfair rap; he has a great technique and Shield record so he’s always in line for a call-up. He’s inconsistent so he’s never cemented his place. He is what he is; a bits and pieces player that fills the gap. He’s come in for injuries and suspensions, he’s never been gifted a long term spot in the team.

MMarsh is a different matter, he was a project player that hasn’t worked out, partly because of the way he’s been managed. He was a talent that should have been handled very differently. But you won’t find any West Aussies clamouring for his inclusion.

Shows how lucky the Australian public have been with cricketers over the past 25 years that they still like to throw shade at Watto.

Really good player that ended up with a solid record for a Test allrounder but was obviously held back by injuries and shifted around the order.

Shows how lucky the Australian public have been with cricketers over the past 25 years that they still like to throw shade at Watto.

Really good player that ended up with a solid record for a Test allrounder but was obviously held back by injuries and shifted around the order.

How can anyone hate Watto? Provided so much comedy once DRS came in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back