Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all about balance. This thread is ridiculous in its negativity when you compare our plight with other teams, and with other Geelong teams of the past. Reading this , you'd think CS has been involved with starting a plague at Geelong, making us go bankrupt, and giving us zero enjoyment. The truth is we have had many enjoyable times even in 2018. And when we finally do plummet, we can again look forward to climbing back up. I always enjoy the chase. Staying up there is stressful.

Not so sure about that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

it's not just Scott's current record that is the problem it'll be the aftermath of the next 10 years post Scott that'll define his legacy
Just to cover up for any lesser quality record that the next coach may deliver- yes, all CS's fault?

Good point again Max.
I think there was a bit correlation error going on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What is the error? Those things actually happened.
Still waiting to hear about all those flags won by Free Agency and trading away lots of draft picks.
After all it's the best way and the traditional way is "Pile of pish"

Your plan is complete pish every time you say it. Repeating it doesn’t make it less so.

This drop down for draft picks and accept years out of finals idea you have is complete nonsense and shouldn’t be taken seriously.

Unfortunately too many on here are as deluded as you are.
That is his theory.
Curious as to what your theory is to get us the quality to win a premiership.
Keep going exactly as we are?
Hoping players as good as Danger will always want to come to our club.
Feel free to explain it.

I'm all about balance. This thread is ridiculous in its negativity when you compare our plight with other teams, and with other Geelong teams of the past. Reading this , you'd think CS has been involved with starting a plague at Geelong, making us go bankrupt, and giving us zero enjoyment. The truth is we have had many enjoyable times even in 2018. And when we finally do plummet, we can again look forward to climbing back up. I always enjoy the chase. Staying up there is stressful.
I agree with a lot of that. Every year is still enjoyable, if you like CS or not.
The Melbourne game at KP was worth following the team just for that alone.
Some of the Hawks games over the years have just been brilliant.

That is his theory.
Feel free to explain it.

You know he doesn't have any, he is just a follower so whatever the club does is right.

Once we drop down the ladder he'll be saying it was inevitable. Certainly has nothing to do with poor list management decisions from 2012 onwards.

You couldn't be more wrong. I couldn't give two shits what you think of me, you can say whatever you like.

It's the opposite of snowflake.
You very dearly care, hence the compulsion to insert yourself into a discussion even when you aren't contributing anything.

But there's no need to put too fine a point on it. Just maybe in future only respond if you're actually going to say something.

I just hope who ever takes over eventually can restore the club to the freewheeling risk and reward high scoring Geelong I have enjoyed for decades,Scotts brand is not the Geelong brand of footy.

You know he doesn't have any, he is just a follower so whatever the club does is right.

Once we drop down the ladder he'll be saying it was inevitable. Certainly has nothing to do with poor list management decisions from 2012 onwards.

You mean like the poor list management decisions that every club makes at some point?

Have we made any good decisions, or is everything a failure in your eyes?

I just hope who ever takes over eventually can restore the club to the freewheeling risk and reward high scoring Geelong I have enjoyed for decades,Scotts brand is not the Geelong brand of footy.
You must have missed the come from behind win v Demons 2018, the massive last 2 wins we had 2018, our excellent performance when undermanned against WCE, our win against GF team Collingwood, our massacre of GWS... here was plenty of positive footy, but you can't let go of the fact that we just don't have the quality players to play the way we did in those halcyon years.

Same coach. 2011 was arguably our best ever season, 6 wins against Pies and Hawks, all at the G. And we beat WCE in a final. And a flag. How was CS able to do that given he can't coach? Correct, he didn't, it was the superlative talent of our list. Guess what, 7 years later, that list has literally been decimated. We achieve despite that.

That is his theory.
Feel free to explain it.
Tough decision.
Give the reprobates in this thread a real answer or what they deserve. Hmmmmm

I have zero respect for the view that we should take a drop Spazz. It’s complete nonsense that seems to be silver bullet for the lowest dregs of this board. A view not worth listening to.

This idea that a drop down the ladder and pick up a raft of high picks and then wait 7, 8, 10 years is not the panacea. It’s a one way ticket to Carlton 2.0. A one way ticket to the doldrums.

So I’d say we do what we have done yes, but by that I mean do what we’ve done this last 30 years. Hire the best people available, maximise our selections at the draft, and have off field stability. The long run trend since the late 80s suggests we do a lot right.

7 GFs, 3 flags and over 20 finals appearances since we last sacked a coach.

We haven’t fully maximised our draft haul of late, and that extends maybe 10 years, and there’s been periods where we’ve selected very poorly in consecutive seasons. That’s on Wells to rectify and the last couple of drafts appears to have done a little better.

Recruiting via trade has been a little hit n miss but that’s also the case at most clubs. No one gets it right all the time.

Personally don’t buy into the overreactionary moaning about Henderson. He’s in my best side. Harry Taylor is not.
Tuohy was a good buy. A steal at the price paid.
Selwood has been patchy, but as a FA he just needs to be better than the chump we’d have drafted with the late pick that we didn’t use because we got him. I’d say we’ve got more out of him than what pick xxxx would have. He’s taking up as many spaces on the list as Wylie Buzza is or GHS was. At worst he’s good depth.

We don’t need a massive exodus from finals and prolonged period biding our time in September anonymity. We just need to get better at what we’re doing. We need to draft better, develop better, coach better, play better and strategise better.

I’d have cleaned out the assistants 2 years ago and got fresh ideas, the powers that be ssem to have a different view on it.

So no I wouldn’t do heaps different, try and do what’s we have done for 30 years and that’s building the list without the need for high end picks. They aren’t essential. Certainly wouldn’t advocate actively pursuing the prioritising picks over wins, some sadly I think don’t. A path I hope we never take .

Just need get better at doing it. Problem is 17 clubs say the same thing, and enact change to reach the same thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough decision.

I have zero respect for the view that we should take a drop Spazz. It’s complete nonsense that seems to be silver bullet for the lowest dregs of this board. A view not worth listening to.

This idea that a drop down the ladder and pick up a raft of high picks and then wait 7, 8, 10 years is not the panacea. It’s a one way ticket to Carlton 2.0. A one way ticket to the doldrums.

So I’d say we do what we have done yes, but by that I mean do what we’ve done this last 30 years. Hire the best people available, maximise our selections at the draft, and have off field stability. The long run trend since the late 80s suggests we do a lot right.

We haven’t fully maximised our draft haul of late, and that extends maybe 10 years, and there’s been periods where we’ve selected very poorly in consecutive seasons. That’s on Wells to rectify and the last couple of drafts appears to have done a little better.

Recruiting via trade has been a little hit n miss but that’s also the case at most clubs. No one gets it right all the time.

Personally don’t buy into the overreactionary moaning about Henderson. He’s in my best side. Harry Taylor is not.
Selwood has been patchy, but as a FA he just needs to be better than the chump we’d have drafted with the late pick that we didn’t use because we got him. I’d say we’ve got more out of him than what pick xxxx would have. He’s taking up as many spaces on the list as Wylie Buzza is or GHS was. At worst he’s good depth.

We don’t need a massive exodus from finals and prolonged period biding our time in September anonymity. We just need to get better at what we’re doing. We need to draft better, develop better, coach better, play better and strategise better.

I’d have cleaned out the assistants 2 years ago and got fresh ideas, the powers that be ssem to have a different view on it.

So no I wouldn’t do heaps different, try and do what’s we have done for 30 years and that’s building the list without the need for high end picks. They aren’t essential. Certainly wouldn’t advocate actively pursuing the prioritising picks over wins, some sadly I think don’t. A path I hope we never take .

Just need get better at doing it. Problem is 17 clubs say the same thing, and enact change to reach the same thing.
I completely agree. I still want us to do what we've always done since I've been alive.
As in not finish last, or even bottom 4, always try.
Personally I don't think we can win a flag though, so don't see the point of getting players past their best, even for free. For example: Dollhouse and Rohan, even though they will help us stay about where we are.
Would rather develop kids in their place.
If we drop down (which will eventually happen anyway) it won't be that far, and won't be for that long. We will be stronger for it.
More worried about when Selwood and Danger decline and we have mostly players left past their best and not a lot of kids developed.
Then we might really finish last.
That's my theory anyway.

Tough decision.

That is a truly great post

Tough decision.

Agree with alot what you say

However if Scott Sellwoods form is no good in 19 then Chris Scott has to drop him - but will he ( he might not because he doesnt want to fall out with Joel )

Geel has done ok ( where they have finished from 14 onwards- because they havent had the talent to win a flag ) but what pissses off the supporters is those shocking 1st qtrs - where basically the game is over at QTR time - and that nonsense really started with the elim final against Freo way back in 2012 - what was it at QTR time 5g 7b - to a solitary point - that has been a big knock on the club from that point on

You very dearly care, hence the compulsion to insert yourself into a discussion even when you aren't contributing anything.

But there's no need to put too fine a point on it. Just maybe in future only respond if you're actually going to say something.

There it is. It seems we have yet another would-be policer of viewpoints. What a surprise. Nah I'll continue to speak for myself and treat the views of the anonymous unwashed with contempt.

You must have missed the come from behind win v Demons 2018, the massive last 2 wins we had 2018, our excellent performance when undermanned against WCE, our win against GF team Collingwood, our massacre of GWS... here was plenty of positive footy, but you can't let go of the fact that we just don't have the quality players to play the way we did in those halcyon years.

Same coach. 2011 was arguably our best ever season, 6 wins against Pies and Hawks, all at the G. And we beat WCE in a final. And a flag. How was CS able to do that given he can't coach? Correct, he didn't, it was the superlative talent of our list. Guess what, 7 years later, that list has literally been decimated. We achieve despite that.
We are a Ross Lyon clone side,think Saints 2009 arguably the best side that year but super defensive,struggle to kick much over 100 points even with a thousand games that year at Etihad and couldn't kick a score over 80 points in the finals,to progress we need to take the game on and kick winning scores not follow Ross Lyon 101.

We are a Ross Lyon clone side,think Saints 2009 arguably the best side that year but super defensive,struggle to kick much over 100 points even with a thousand games that year at Etihad and couldn't kick a score over 80 points in the finals,to progress we need to take the game on and kick winning scores not follow Ross Lyon 101.
Nah, we're not that bad.

What is the error? Those things actually happened.
Still waiting to hear about all those flags won by Free Agency and trading away lots of draft picks.
After all it's the best way and the traditional way is "Pile of pish"
It's not a factual error. Yes, they did happen.
But if getting rid of your best player is the new recipe for winning GFs, don't you think everyone would start doing it?

Firstly... Blame' is a word a lot of posters use when it comes to Scott.... Its highly appropriate, and on point
Secondly... and so it should,. Its his DNA all over the current problems. If you spent as much time being honest with the current state of affairs as you do defending Scott, you might have a better understanding of supporterss frustrations
I think I have sufficient understanding of "supporters" frustrations with CS, a gutful really, due to what we read here. I read it, understand it, but just do NOT agree.

I think I have sufficient understanding of "supporters" frustrations with CS, a gutful really, due to what we read here. I read it, understand it, but just do NOT agree.
You say that as if youre forced to be in this thread....youre not, youre here from sun up to sun down, as if you have nowhere else to be. If youve had a gutful as you claim, move on.
The threads not about you.

Last edited:
Agree with alot what you say

However if Scott Sellwoods form is no good in 19 then Chris Scott has to drop him - but will he ( he might not because he doesnt want to fall out with Joel )

Geel has done ok ( where they have finished from 14 onwards- because they havent had the talent to win a flag ) but what pissses off the supporters is those shocking 1st qtrs - where basically the game is over at QTR time - and that nonsense really started with the elim final against Freo way back in 2012 - what was it at QTR time 5g 7b - to a solitary point - that has been a big knock on the club from that point on
You left out inspiid game plan, nepotism around the selection table, post bye failures, poor communication between the club and its members. Thats just a fw issues at the top of my head

It's not a factual error. Yes, they did happen.
But if getting rid of your best player is the new recipe for winning GFs, don't you think everyone would start doing it?
I'm gonna be revolutionary like that guy out of Moneyball.
"We all thought he was crazy when he said to get rid of Stevie Johnson to play Linc McCarthy "

I'm gonna be revolutionary like that guy out of Moneyball.
"We all thought he was crazy when he said to get rid of Stevie Johnson to play Linc McCarthy "
And many of us think that injuries aside getting rid of the lack of defensiveness Menzel is just as crazy. According to the assessment in todays Herald Sun we had the best forward line in the competition- my apologies to Enright who I have doubted as a forward coach.
So we get rid of one of those players for the unknown. Typical Scott always reaching for tomorrow on the chance that it will be better not playing to today with what he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back