Portfolio Nitpicking Club Logos

Remove this Banner Ad

May 9, 2011
VIC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
San Francisco Giants
I guess this can act as a thread to share some of my AFL logo ideas - It would save future me from creating a thread every half year for a half baked logo idea.

As soon as the current Dees' logo was unveiled, a lot of people around here remarked at how awkward the shield and word mark go with the (imo) timeless monogram. The logo feels disjointed, with the three elements having seemingly no design correlations. The shield feels overly modern, especially with that sharp shape around the bottom of the crest, and the word mark feels like an after thought - almost like they chose the first font that shows up on illustrator.

So I decided to have a go at harmonising the mark, matching the shield and word mark to the traditional monogram. Inspiration comes from the coat of arms of the City of Melbourne, as seen on the St Kilda Road Princes Bridge.
1ebd4f18-cdc8-40eb-a07a-dba2ba5966c1_l.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 12.28.16 pm.png

Last edited:
I'm interested to see how all the little gold frilly bits would look with it as well (but in red, matching your design) considering the team is the oldest active (edit: professional) football team in the world, they can get away with it I'd say.

Last edited:
I'm interested to see how all the little gold frilly bits would look with it as well (but in red, matching your design) considering the team is the oldest active football team in the world, they can get away with it I'd say.
I’m not ignoring your point, but apparently Sheffield FC takes that mantle. 8th Tier of English football though.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_F.C.

I guess this can act as a thread to share some of my AFL logo ideas - It would save future me from creating a thread every half year for a half baked logo idea.

As soon as the current Dees' logo was unveiled, a lot of people around here remarked at how awkward the shield and word mark go with the (imo) timeless monogram. The logo feels disjointed, with the three elements having seemingly no design correlations. The shield feels overly modern, especially with that sharp shape around the bottom of the crest, and the word mark feels like an after thought - almost like they chose the first font that shows up on illustrator.

So I decided to have a go at harmonising the mark, matching the shield and word mark to the traditional monogram. Inspiration comes from the coat of arms of the City of Melbourne, as seen on the St Kilda Road Princes Bridge.
1ebd4f18-cdc8-40eb-a07a-dba2ba5966c1_l.jpg

View attachment 603570

Damn that’s good.

I love it! It captures that heritage aesthetic that Melbourne base a lot of their branding around while also looking clean and modern. It suits the monogram a lot more than the current shield. Did you consider having a crack at your own MFC monogram? I know you've got some skills in that area.

I made a little update and removed the (annoying) top joint in favour of a straight line - although it does stray from the original Melb City crest.
I'm interested to see how all the little gold frilly bits would look with it as well (but in red, matching your design) considering the team is the oldest active (edit: professional) football team in the world, they can get away with it I'd say.
I gave it a crack, but I dislike how convoluted it looked. I much prefer the subtleness of this iteration.
I love it! It captures that heritage aesthetic that Melbourne base a lot of their branding around while also looking clean and modern. It suits the monogram a lot more than the current shield. Did you consider having a crack at your own MFC monogram? I know you've got some skills in that area.
Thanks - I did consider redoing it, but my only gripe with it was the weights of the negative space lines. In the end.. ceebs.

I think the only let down is the choice of font for the Collingwood text, the rest looks great. I do get you wanted the Spurs text though!
I guess I wanted to go full Spurs, and I think the bird on the ball demands a classy font (not that I think Collingwood is a classy club per se ;))

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This popped into my head over the weekend. I'm not even sure if I'd be for a change of the league logo, seeing as how it has transcended into iconic status.
afl bf.png
The shield is the first iteration of the AFL logo, just skewed, and the goalposts give a vague outline of Northern Australia (massive reach).

Comes down to opinion really doesn't it?

To me it looks tacky and dated. Others may disagree

It may be time for an refresh, but I'm not sure how it could be improved. I think it's fine as it is. Don't make Arnott's mistake and fix something that wasn't broken

I feel like ******* up the amazing flavour of BBQ shapes is different to changing a bloated 20-year old logo of a sports competition

Yes and no, no-one was complaining about Shape's when they changed it, and outside of this board there's no outcry for a new logo, so there's no push for a change

This popped into my head over the weekend. I'm not even sure if I'd be for a change of the league logo, seeing as how it has transcended into iconic status.
View attachment 611876
The shield is the first iteration of the AFL logo, just skewed, and the goalposts give a vague outline of Northern Australia (massive reach).
Love it. Only change I could suggest would be to make a decent gap between the posts and text for recolour purposes (say a two colour version) however then you’d need to lengthen the whole shield so I’m not sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back