2019 AFLW Season

Remove this Banner Ad

A nice bit of wishmaking from a Doggies supporter.

https://www.adbulldogscentre.com/single-post/2019/01/15/Six-Things-I-Want-To-See-In-The-AFLW-In-2019

Six Things I Want To See In The AFLW In 2019

Number 1 – Brisbane To Win It All

Yes I would love to see my Bulldogs win back-to-back flags, but the second team I'd like to see win it all is the Brisbane Lions. Having lost the previous two Grand Finals, surely the cliché 'Third time is the charm' is applicable to Craig Starcevich's group. They're a bloody good football team, the game plan is solid, there's still a solid group of players, even after North Melbourne pilfered four of them. The talent is still there.

They still have their best ball-winner in Ally Anderson, along with the likes of Emily Bates, Lauren Arnell and Emma Zielke. They still have the best key defender in the league in Kate Lutkins and they still have forward weapons in Jess Wuetschner, Sabrina Frederick-Traub and Kate McCarthy. They will also have young guns such as McKenzie Dowrick, Paige Parker and Lauren Bella ready to go come round one. There's no reason why Brisbane can't go all the way in 2019.

Bloody stinker today in downtown Yeronga, if it's as hot as it was today between 3pm and 5pm tomorrow the girls are going to get a hell of a workout.

Watched the 1st 3 quarters and it got too bloody hot for me even standing in the shade. They were getting flogged, 5 goals down and lucky to be that close. Very scrappy affair, lot of easy dropped ball and clangers by the Lions, the Giants looked cleaner and with more run.

In saying that they're doing well just to be running around in this heat.

Watched the stream, fell asleep for the 2nd, 3rd and most of 4th, then the 5th "quarter" started and thought I was some kind of weird dream. True story.

How the mighty have fallen, compare this thread to 2 years ago same time.

No one cares about AFLW now the novelty’s worn off

I'm not a big fan of the women's game either BP, the skills are pretty ordinary except for a few of the elite players, they dead set have a red hot crack though. I think given a few more years (5-10) we will start to see a decent standard of footy. The one thing I am strongly against is how quick they have rushed into expansion which further dilutes the talent pool.

The interest in the game is there IMO, I was surprised by the size of the crowd yesterday for a practice match, not an expert but Yeronga was packed, crowd? 1,500 to 2,000.

What a poor attitude. It was a practice game. Huge turnout. Possibly the highest crowd for a practice compared to any other year.
Don’t like it. Don’t post about it.

A lot of numbers show it’s going from strength to strength.My question is if your being honest with yourself why do some people like yourself want aflw to fail.?A study which revealed the reasons would be an interesting insight into many males psyche.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im very much a strong supporter of women’s sports. One of the questions you have to ask if you’re really wanting to understand it’s “popularity” at the pro / semi pro level is what those attendances are like if everyone is required to pay the same entry fees as anyone does attending the equivalent men’s sports. I’m not sure you’d get the same interest particularly if you’re comparing those same sports TV ratings which let me tell you, are abysmal for women’s sports, and you can see why the networks never release such figures because they’re pretty damning.

The unfortunate problem is that the AFL doesn't even care about AFLW, as evidenced by the paucity of any sort of advertisement of the practice games on the weekend; you wouldn't even know the season starts in two weeks. Even the latest promo campaign - "This Is..." - is one of the worst promo videos I've ever seen.

It gets worse when you realise that all the promo for the initial season that really drew people in was done by a volunteer not even associated with the AFL. Since then it has all been coordinated in-house, and it shows. They put next to no money into promoting it, improving player welfare, or even adding extra games with the inclusion of new teams, and quite frankly, it is pathetic from the AFL.

I'm not a big fan of the women's game either BP, the skills are pretty ordinary except for a few of the elite players, they dead set have a red hot crack though. I think given a few more years (5-10) we will start to see a decent standard of footy. The one thing I am strongly against is how quick they have rushed into expansion which further dilutes the talent pool.

The interest in the game is there IMO, I was surprised by the size of the crowd yesterday for a practice match, not an expert but Yeronga was packed, crowd? 1,500 to 2,000.

Yep the push to increase teams so quickly is madness. It is really weak leadership from the AFL.

The unfortunate problem is that the AFL doesn't even care about AFLW, as evidenced by the paucity of any sort of advertisement of the practice games on the weekend; you wouldn't even know the season starts in two weeks. Even the latest promo campaign - "This Is..." - is one of the worst promo videos I've ever seen.

It gets worse when you realise that all the promo for the initial season that really drew people in was done by a volunteer not even associated with the AFL. Since then it has all been coordinated in-house, and it shows. They put next to no money into promoting it, improving player welfare, or even adding extra games with the inclusion of new teams, and quite frankly, it is pathetic from the AFL.

It is strange. You’d think they’d want it to gain popularity so it is then able support itself.

You’d think they just want to look like they’re doing the right thing when they’re actually happy for it to fail.

I really want it to succeed as it making great inroads in QLD as the sport of choice for female athletes ad females who want a team to support. Once you get the women involved it makes it so much easier to brainwash the future generations into AFL support. However, it really needs to up the quality of the game. It's at a U12s level and will probably stay that way for a few years now that almost every club is getting a team. Just not enough talent going around.

Looks like Starc was using the praccy match for what it was, an opportunity to see most of the team in action and assess them in game conditions http://www.lions.com.au/news/2019-01-20/aflw-draftees-impressed. We did the same thing last year. Unfortunately, unable to attend but did spend a bit of time watching the stream while boardgaming at my mate's birthday. Couldn't see much on the phone and 1/3 attention, did anyone who attended have any comments on the younger players? How was Jessie Keefe and Lauren Bella? Really need a full time ruck.

AFLW Twitter account has 24k followers. Nothing tweeted about any of the weekend's games. Poorly run.
These days, people are out & about or busy, and social media at their fingertips. I would think it pretty important to pump out the content to generate and maintain interest.

AFLW Twitter account has 24k followers. Nothing tweeted about any of the weekend's games. Poorly run.
These days, people are out & about or busy, and social media at their fingertips. I would think it pretty important to pump out the content to generate and maintain interest.
Yeah it has been quiet in comparison to recent years. Small organisation comparatively, so resource starvation could be doing it or might not have right person in the job. Lions did try and pump it up and anyone following the girls on Instagram would have seen their enthusiasm.
I don't think it is being set up to fail, but the AFL does seem to have eye off the ball. Not convinced by Nicole Livingston either. Very uninspiring.

Not overly concerned by practise match results. We got flogged by GWS last year - but it meant little when we smashed them in the final round. Hopefully the advertising/promo on the AFL's side starts to pick up over the next week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back