Who has the best forward line heading into 2019?

Who will have the best forward line in 2019?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

And Hawthorn’s and Collingwood’s lists are only just the oldest. The differences between each club is incredibly insignificant, comparing clubs by age and experience is a waste of time.

Wells, Dunn, Goldsack, Pendlebury, Varcoe, Mayne, Greenwood, Reid, Beams, Howe, Roughead, Sidebottom

How many of that list are in the pies best side? All 28 year old or more currently, with a lot of miles in the legs.

the pies ran out of legs in the grand final and got swamped as the game went on.

Pies fans are pretty confident they got Richmond measure and getting back to late weeks of finals; i do concede they are a good team with a top midfield. However about half the best side is 28 and over which doesn't bode well for the long term. Even the American is surprisingly around that age bracket.

Hawthorn and Collingwood have very experienced (perhaps a better word than old) sides and GWS/Melbourne the other side of the coin, i just thought it were a interesting side note to the discussion above

Think it's an absolute untruth and disrespectful to peddle this myth the Pies ran out of legs.
They were 12 up at half time, scores were level at three quarter time and they led for a good portion of the last quarter.
It was a game that could have went either way up until the end and in the end only five points separated them.
People continue to make out as if Collingwood fell in this hole after quarter time. Credit the Eagles for being resilient.
It was an arm wrestle.

Think it's an absolute untruth and disrespectful to peddle this myth the Pies ran out of legs.
They were 12 up at half time, scores were level at three quarter time and they led for a good portion of the last quarter.
It was a game that could have went either way up until the end and in the end only five points separated them.
People continue to make out as if Collingwood fell in this hole after quarter time. Credit the Eagles for being resilient.
It was an arm wrestle.

disagree choked from being 5 odd goals up. A tight game but the eagles were ontop for a long time - could have kicked away. Deserved winners and i wonder how bucks and his finals harden guys will be able to back it up with another preseason under the legs.

I was a bit shocked looking into the Hawthorn and Collingwood lists to see just how experienced they are even if generally differences between each club is incredibly insignificant, comparing clubs by age and experience is a waste of time.

disagree choked from being 5 odd goals up. A tight game but the eagles were ontop for a long time - could have kicked away. Deserved winners and i wonder how bucks and his finals harden guys will be able to back it up with another preseason under the legs.

I was a bit shocked looking into the Hawthorn and Collingwood lists to see just how experienced they are even if generally differences between each club is incredibly insignificant, comparing clubs by age and experience is a waste of time.

If the Eagles were on top for a long time ... and they were ... it's more proof Collingwood did not run out of legs.
They would have steamrolled them. Credit Collingwood for hanging in. If West Coast was this massive juggernaut and Collingwood dead and buried, the Magpies would not have been in front with a minute 50 to go. Pure and simple, a battle of attrition.

By

In 2019 - Grigg 31, Houli 31, Edwards 30, Riewoldt 30, Cotchin 29, Rance 29, Astbury 28, Grimes 28, Martin 28.
There is no way Richmond will be avoiding injuries as their list ages. Danger signs from the 2018 Prelim are obvious for 2019. They had nothing in the tank then and now they are just getting older en masse.

hmm there wasn't that many to choose from but out of them...
Clearly better
Jonathan Brown
Mathew Lloyd
Brendan Fevola
Matthew Pavlich
Slightly better
Nick Riewoldt
Brad Johnson
Jack Riewoldt
...I could prolly throw a few small forward/midfielders into that also but meh.
Is it 2013 or 2019?

Lynch essentially plays Caddy’s role. Caddy will play smaller/spend more time in the midfield. Castagna will be dropped. OP nailed our forward line.

But it all dried up in big games when Hogan was missing in action and goals from 'non goal kickers' were harder to come by.

They kicked some very big scores against some very average teams. That's why I don't rate them as a flag threat in 2019.

Possibly the most inaccurate and uneducated post in this whole thread. Well done.

By

In 2019 - Grigg 31, Houli 31, Edwards 30, Riewoldt 30, Cotchin 29, Rance 29, Astbury 28, Grimes 28, Martin 28.
There is no way Richmond will be avoiding injuries as their list ages. Danger signs from the 2018 Prelim are obvious for 2019. They had nothing in the tank then and now they are just getting older en masse.
You've pretty much added a year to all their ages, but anyway, since when are players reaching the end and becoming injury prone in their late 20's. That is just off their prime, in many cases like Shane Edwards they are getting better. Houli and Grigg are replaceable although still solid players. Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt and Martin have missed how many games in the last 10 years. Richmond's list is well placed age wise.
We came into the finals in average form and ran into a very good in form side in Collingwood. That is not a precident, just the norm in footy, form sides win finals. And in the end WC were the best inform side in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The two big games I was referring to were Queens Birthday and Preliminary Final.

Where were your raft of goalkickers on those days?
Melbourne learnt a lot from QB. They were thrashed on the spread. This happened in future games too, but they went to school and improved that aspect of their play. It will be addressed again over summer. It's the old story, you learn more from your losses than your wins.

The prelim while disappointing was the end of a long year from a still young side. West Coast lost a final the year prior by the same amount. It happens.

I think you're making an error by reading too much into one game by a young side. But it's your prerogative.

Last edited:
Melbourne learnt a lot from QB. They were thrashed on the spread. This happened in future games too, but they went to school and improved that aspect of their play. It will be addressed again over summer. It's the old story, you learn more from your losses than your wins.

The prelim while disappoint was the end of a long year from a still young side. West Coast lost a final the year prior by the same amount. It happens.

I think you're making an error by reading too much into one game by a young side. But it's your prerogative.
Fair call. Unfortunately given I don't watch every Melbourne game I only have a small sample set to go by, and you earn your reputation and respect by your performances on the biggest stages.

Fair call. Unfortunately given I don't watch every Melbourne game I only have a small sample set to go by, and you earn your reputation and respect by your performances on the biggest stages.
And that's a fair call too.

I put it down to a team not being ready. Oliver, Harmes, and Brayshaw carried the midfield for the last 8 weeks. The oldest was 22.

Will they be ready in 2019 ? I doubt it. I think 2020 is showtime.

Wells, Dunn, Goldsack, Pendlebury, Varcoe, Mayne, Greenwood, Reid, Beams, Howe, Roughead, Sidebottom

How many of that list are in the pies best side? All 28 year old or more currently, with a lot of miles in the legs.

Wells no
Dunn yes
Goldsack no
Pendlebury yes
Varcoe fringe
Mayne fringe
Greenwood no
Reid no
Beams yes
Howe yes
Roughead no
Sidebottom yes

The two big games I was referring to were Queens Birthday and Preliminary Final.

Where were your raft of goalkickers on those days?
No worries, I guess the elimination and semi finals weren't big games since you're basing it off just those 2.

Clueless.

Why not just say that to start?

I was at QB game (9th year straight) and collingwood were terrific. As painful as it was, it was a clear sign to me collingwood were going to be there abouts at the end of the year. That game was a huge learning curve- first game for us with lever out (coincidentally Cox absolutely destroyed whoever we put near him) and as another poster pointed out, we were outsmarted in the midfield time and time again. If a team kicks 14 goals, typically speaking, they are in the game. Our trouble that day was not scoring, it was the fact we gave up over 20 goals. Time will tell if we recover from that prelim belting, but we seemed to recover from the round 23 choke against collingwood in 2017, so I have no fears they wont recover in 2019.

Suggest you watch either other final involving us, or round 22/23 where weideman played in place of Hogan. Then perhaps watch melbourne vs Sydney, or melb vs geelong later in the season to see how different the synergy was with/without Hogan. Terrific player and huge potential, but the stats say he kicked 9 goals in 8 games vs teams in the top 8 in season 2018.

34: Wells
31: Dunn, Goldsack, Pendlebury, Varcose
30: Mayne, Greenwood, Reid
29: Beams
28: Howe, Roughead, Sidebottom

Wells no
Dunn yes
Goldsack no
Pendlebury yes
Varcoe fringe
Mayne fringe
Greenwood no
Reid no
Beams yes
Howe yes
Roughead no
Sidebottom yes

not an expert on the Pies team but Wells and Reid in it easily imo

I too though Greenwood and Goldsack where in it, they both played in the losing gf

Last edited:
not an expert on the Pies team but Wells and Reid in it easily imo

I too though Greenwood and Goldsack where in it, they both played in the losing gf
[/QUOTE]

Reid’s nowhere near it now, at least 30 ahead of him. Wells used to be but his best traits are offered by others now. Greenwood and Goldsack are handy depth but are pushed out by returning players and new recruits.

Definitely 2018. Had the best forwardline we've seen in the history of the game

Back