How good is our forward line?

Remove this Banner Ad

scottjr

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's a relative thing. Our forwards are as good as our midfield can make them look.

Mundusa

Club Legend
Mar 2, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If our back-line can generate more M than 1% and our outside issues get solved then I am confident we have the players to go all the way. Our forwards know how to score if they get the ball in their hands.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Personally I think our biggest problem in 2018 was the way we were structured, from the center square to the forward line just didn't work.
The players are now well aware after a few top line departures from our ranks, nothing but a professional approach and 100% input is going to cut it.
I am confident that we can still make an impact on the competition, as long as the whole club is on the same page.
My prediction is us finishing between 5 - 8, as long as our midfield can produce what is needed, hearing good noises coming from Schofield, so who knows.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Our forward issues are 10% Dixon not being what he was hyped up to be/has the potential to be, and 90% in the coaches box.

The likes of Dixon and Gray have the ability to carry us through games, Marshall is still untapped but can also join this group. Westhoff isn't spending enough time down there to be counted and Watts is Watts. SGray is a bit better than he gets credit for too but we shouldn't have to be in a position to rely on him.

Ryder is a reliable resting forward for a couple goals a game but Lycett is closer to 'filling space' than anything.

Kingfish73

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Pretty fair assessment. I predict 12th-14th. The only area missed in the article is the impact of our new assistant coaches and Ken's inept game plan. If the assistant coaches make significant impacts to our tactical / structural deficiencies, we may squeeze into 8.
Yeah fairly accurate but for some idiotic reason I still think we are top 8 worthy, maybe wishful thinking on my part.

Aug 13, 2007
NSW
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
If our forward entries stay at their current low quality then having Dixon and Ryder/Lycett will be less predictable and more of a handful to defend than 2018.

If the 2 talls are enough distance apart and the low quality entires are fast instead of high floaters, teams with only 1 decent intercept/contested key defender will be over-stretched which should result in either marks to the talls and/or some thriving crumbers. Will still be s**t against teams with multiple, good, key defensive options (e.g. West Coast, Richmond).

I'm not advocating this as opposed to better entries, but I could still see a slight improvement based on structure alone...after all it couldn't be much worse than 2018.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah fairly accurate but for some idiotic reason I still think we are top 8 worthy, maybe wishful thinking on my part.

The AFL is waaaay more unpredictable than people think it is right now. A little tweak to the game plan or change in players and a little luck can literally make a 10+ change in ladder position one way or the other

Go back 12 months and tell me anybody predicted a WCE Col grand, or 24 months and predicted Tiger premiers.

It wouldn't shock me at all to see a St Kilda vs Port Adelaide grand final next year. That said I think our most likely position is mid table again

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Our forward issues are 10% Dixon not being what he was hyped up to be/has the potential to be, and 90% in the coaches box.

The likes of Dixon and Gray have the ability to carry us through games, Marshall is still untapped but can also join this group. Westhoff isn't spending enough time down there to be counted and Watts is Watts. SGray is a bit better than he gets credit for too but we shouldn't have to be in a position to rely on him.

Ryder is a reliable resting forward for a couple goals a game but Lycett is closer to 'filling space' than anything.

It's difficult to work out the true value of Dixon given his often too hard hands and unreliable set shot, but I suspect most other team's game plans wouldn't have him working up and down the ground until he is completely gassed.
Assuming that changes and he is left to do most of his work in and around the forward 50 I believe we will see him become a much more effective player in season 2019.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's difficult to work out the true value of Dixon given his often too hard hands and unreliable set shot, but I suspect most other team's game plans wouldn't have him working up and down the ground until he is completely gassed.
Assuming that changes and he is left to do most of his work in and around the forward 50 I believe we will see him become a much more effective player in season 2019.
Dixon could make a good center half forward, some one that brings the ball to ground and take a few good marks. Marshall, Ryder/Lycett and possibly Frampton could stay forward.

Kingfish73

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Agree he is asked to run huge distances and prone to be sucking in the big ones during set shots, but even outside of that his goal kicking accuracy stinks - especially during critical moments. Have to get balance right for him to have a presence for that kick from half back to centre half forward v lone ranger up forward. Good coaching will get mix right versus our opposition. Some teams we will isolate our dangerous forwards or keep Ryder deep. Other times the weakness could be who is defending Marshall and have him deep in attack. Then we have to get the fwd pressure right to lock the ball in our attack without opposition dangerous half bank flankers racking up 40 disposal games and pin pointing their transition players without any pressure. Re again the need for smart assistant coaches to isolate the weaknesses - rather than the 1 dimensional vomit we have seen last 2 years!

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Granted, the forward line in 2018 was poorly structured and under-performed, the service from mids did not help, however, I think our entire game plan set up the forwards to fail. Slow, cumbersome ball movement from the backline and through the midfield would be a nightmare for a forward.

Hopefully the game plan changes and we see some quicker ball movement (as well as cleaner ball movement). It really is the best option for us, as we dont exactly have an elite kicking midfield who can consistently hit leading forwards on the tit.

Granted, the forward line in 2018 was poorly structured and under-performed, the service from mids did not help, however, I think our entire game plan set up the forwards to fail. Slow, cumbersome ball movement from the backline and through the midfield would be a nightmare for a forward.

Hopefully the game plan changes and we see some quicker ball movement (as well as cleaner ball movement). It really is the best option for us, as we dont exactly have an elite kicking midfield who can consistently hit leading forwards on the tit.

"I'm your Huckleberry"

490961d3e039db510743ab11fd7a1206.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back