Training 2019 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

How many of you were at the Fremantle game last season at Etihad? I’ve never seen players so completely out of touch with the fitness levels to play the modern game. If you’re not fit enough to run out a game your skills will never be at the level required. Really hoping that the introduction of Russell means that we will be able to execute our skills for a full 4 quarters rather than in patches.
Thankfully that was a game I missed last year. But you're right, that was a horrible train wreck of a game.

My dream is for Cuningham to make it as an outside mid/forward flanker in the Edwards mould (RICH).
Exactly, with a bit of Jack Steven type run and carry away from the congestion then send it in forward. Not sure he's a scrumbing small forward, hf/wing is his go I reckon.

Agreed - but I think the first step on that path is playing predominantly inside the forward 50, and gradually increase his rotations up the field.

Cuningham will need to stop disappearing on GameDay and when he does find the ball, stop the panicky delivery.....imo.

If he gets a shot in the first 22, by gosh he'll need to grab it by the scruff of the neck.

Bloke who's payed 16 games in three years due to injury needs to find more consistency and composure immediately, or else.

Sounds right... :think:

There's going to be a risk that others go past him, but the key for Cunners is doubling his game count this year. The productivity and composure will come with continuity in a clearly defined role, he has the skills and character for it.

Bloke who's payed 16 games in three years due to injury needs to find more consistency and composure immediately, or else.

Sounds right... :think:

There's going to be a risk that others go past him, but the key for Cunners is doubling his game count this year. The productivity and composure will come with continuity in a clearly defined role, he has the skills and character for it.
With the midfield talent we think we have on the way, I think TW is right. Can't be waiting too long to cement a spot.

Cuningham will need to stop disappearing on GameDay and when he does find the ball, stop the panicky delivery.....imo.

If he gets a shot in the first 22, by gosh he'll need to grab it by the scruff of the neck.

Agree but let’s remember he has played 16 games and never had a consistent clear run at it. First he needs to stay fit and play games. Then he needs find a role. IMO either off HB or wing.

If he does that I believe we will find a very different player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished up. Will write a review and report later when I'm home.

Russell is running a ripping program. Was blown away by the professionalism in comparison to years gone by.

Skills were great and the select 5 or 6 who stayed for autographs were great to the kids.

Not surprising that Walshy stayed to the end and had the biggest following. They wouldn't let him go!

Attachments

• IMG_20190111_121030.jpg
    IMG_20190111_121030.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 414
Just finished up. Will write a review and report later when I'm home.

Russell is running a ripping program. Was blown away by the professionalism in comparison to years gone by.

Skills were great and the select 5 or 6 who stayed for autographs were great to the kids.

Not surprising that Walshy stayed to the end and had the biggest following. They wouldn't let him go!

Post the training report in this thread as well

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-training-reports-only-no-discussion.1209618/

Not going to pump up a low-key training session and will only remark on the stand-out points to me.

Nothing we don't know but CCurnow really has presence and surety about the way he goes about things.
He's timing his leaps ever so much better than he was last year already and his kicking has improved markedly on this showing alone.

McKay also looks so much more assured about his place in the team and showing this via the way he goes about his marking and kicking.
Had Walsh baffled in one instance as to what he was going to do. Good thing Walsh didn't fall over for the tricks Mckay was showing him. :)
Along with Charlie, has a real presence about him although we know he's still some time away from developing that strong core.

BSilvagni moves around like a black belt. carries himself like someone who's been at the club for 10 years. :)
Have to give it to him though, he did back things up with some smart pieces of play and some good kicking. He's a funny one to me.

Walshy, Walshy, Walshy, Walshy....Everyone loves Walshy and keep calling out his name.
Players are around him, coaches are all over him. Did look as though he may have pinged a hamstring late in the day, but after a few rubs the concern seemed to have died down.

A few of Dows kick to position after breaking tackles were A-grade.
Pin-point passes around the corner were very eye-catching. Looked to be having a great time out there.

The reason I mentioned Cuningham wasn't so much for any brilliant pieces of play but for the way he manoeuvres around players.
In tight handball drills he simply either fooled his opponent as to which direction he was heading in, or even if they guessed right, he put the burners on and he was gone. He does have a lot to do but may be one of those players that when it does eventually click, things may stay clicked.
We don't have many that can dance around players the way he can and burst out of tight spaces as though he had a canyon to work through.

Have to give it to Fasolo. Looked genuinely involved and worked well through the day.
Not going to make any wild calls, but he does seem to have blended well into the group.

Russell is very instructive and makes sure to explain his reasons for what is trying to be achieved with players.
There is no wish-washy words here. Just clear advice and quick instruction that gives time to the players for a quick nod and gets them back on their bike.

Only one interesting drill today and that was for quarter ground drills split into two parties, which made it impossible to keep an eye out on both, all of the time. It doesn't help having the extra non-Carlton players involved either, as they catch you off guard when following a drill.

Lots of players coming in and out of the session and as I said, there's not too much to read into things on todays efforts.
The good stuff won't be too far away now, but no doubt......behind closed doors.

Cuners is not really a natural ball winner, has long periods where struggles to get involved. Needs to start as a tagger, on the likes of a Gaff/Hill.

They will take him to the ball, then he can use his speed to pull away from the contest

Interesting you say that and I did agree with you after a little thought some weeks back.
Cuningham was isolated one on one with ECurnow, in a drill only those two seemed to be involved in and it was all about getting first hands to the ball, where they had their backs turned to the coach who called out and threw the ball in into their general direction.

It was actually quite interesting and Ed did outsmart him a few times but once Cuningham had a toe in front, he tapped the ball to advantage and made off with it. It didn't last long, but was interesting.

Not going to pump up a low-key training session and will only remark on the stand-out points to me.

A few of Dows kick to position after breaking tackles were A-grade.
Pin-point passes around the corner were very eye-catching. Looked to be having a great time out there.

Lots of players coming in and out of the session and as I said, there's not too much to read into things on todays efforts.
The good stuff won't be too far away now, but no doubt......behind closed doors.

That'll do me for the day Harks.

Cuningham needs to cure cancer or I can't see him in the Best 22

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bit extreme and not quite sure that new CFC sports degree/program/thing delves that far into the medical side...

Training well, making seniors and staying there, averaging ~18 and a close to a goal a game would do it. His pace/step/burst is something we could really use in the team.

That being said, if he can cure cancer on top of that it'd be pretty swell.

I may be alone here, but i just cannot see how we wont win the flag this year.

Mate, maybe not the flag, but we are going to take some big scalps on our way to a top 8 finish.
I believe strongly that we will surprise most.
Even ourselves.
This amount of talent, especially as tight knit as they are, won't languish at the lower end of the ladder.
If not for our injury curse last season, we would have improved on 2017, I have no doubt about that.

We will rise up the ladder rapidly, put ya bloody house on it

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back