The graveyard thread for endless off topic posturing on persons causing bi-polar responses

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
Fitness and coaching staff try everything possible to reach problematic player who gets sunshine blown up his butt by a fan base that adores him because he wears a Port Magpies beanie, so it must mean he 'loves the club'. Player thinks 'I'm number one with the fans so why try harder? The club can't afford to lose me.' Club gets sick of player's bullshit, says he should talk to opposition clubs and that we'd be open to a trade in a last ditch effort to reach him in the hope that he will try to earn back the respect of his teammates. Player - who was always leaving to go to Hawthorn - decides to leave a year earlier than anticipated in a strong draft year.
Except like, you know, dropping him and not selecting him until his s**t attitude and body fat percentage improved.

What was so appalling about it again?
See above.

'Tried everything' lol.

Pictured: Our coaching staff on solving the Wingard 'problem' rather than taking the easy way out by trading him

555A55BD-208E-41AF-BD77-A6ADC403D12B.jpeg

Formlessness doesn’t mean no form. It means the ability to adapt and change according to the situation. For the players to coach themselves on the ground. To be open to new stimuli.

I read somewhere that successful people don’t have a Plan B because that means that they are preparing for Plan A to fail...and if they think it’s going to fail, they are better off figuring out a better Plan A.
Formless literally means no form.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
'Tried everything' lol.

Pictured: Our coaching staff on solving the Wingard 'problem' rather than taking the easy way out by trading him

View attachment 603559
Lol - we need to reinstate those ETW selection night transcript thingys.

Hinkley: "Chad, you're the biggest cancer on the playing group, coaching staff, boot studders, property stewards, and tea ladies since Heuskes wore a pinafore. Kochie knows who you are and our fans are confusing you for Darren Jarman in the Slowdown because of your body shape. Also, you've missed the last ten Chadbro BBQs because you were playing Forthright on your computer."

Wingard: [silence]

Hinkley: "Anyway, this week you'll be playing in the forward line and rotating through the midfield when we need a boost."

Wingard: "Cool."

Formless literally means no form.

From the 48 Laws of Power:

Law 48: Assume Formlessness. By taking a shape, by having a visible plan, you open yourself to attack. Instead of taking a form for your enemy to grasp keep yourself adaptable and on the move. Accept the fact that nothing is certain and no law is fixed.

There's a difference between being adaptable and constantly shifting form and having no form at all.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He carries weight well obviously I'm still yet to see a Wingard pic in a Motlop state, fitness metrics & pinch tests aside to say things like he showed up in "disgraceful condition" seems a stretch.

I'm hearing Mitchell subconsciously broke his own leg to avoid having to share a single midfield minute with Chad Wingard.

False.

It was Chad Wingard who broke Tom Mitchell's entire leg.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Formlessness doesn’t mean no form. It means the ability to adapt and change according to the situation. For the players to coach themselves on the ground. To be open to new stimuli.

I read somewhere that successful people don’t have a Plan B because that means that they are preparing for Plan A to fail...and if they think it’s going to fail, they are better off figuring out a better Plan A.

Formlessness literally means having no form. It might work in a 1 on 1 fight because you know where your arms and legs are at all times. In any attack that requires coordination between a group of people, those people need to know where there teammates will be and what they will be doing, and they need to coordinate as a group to find the weak spots. That simply doesn't happen if there is no plan and no coordination.

Adapting and changing is fine if you have a base system to adapt and change from. We don't have that. Our plan A is to retain possession in the back half and hopefully find a hole somewhere.

Remember that we've well established that turnovers are the biggest way to concede scores quickly. Our players hesitate because they're trying to find the next option instead of instinctively knowing where the options will be, which allows the opposition to set up and create those turnovers anyway.

We talk about everyone knowing and executing their role in defence. We need to bring that same cohesion to our offence or we'll have another season where we can't score.

Formlessness literally means having no form. It might work in a 1 on 1 fight because you know where your arms and legs are at all times. In any attack that requires coordination between a group of people, those people need to know where there teammates will be and what they will be doing, and they need to coordinate as a group to find the weak spots. That simply doesn't happen if there is no plan and no coordination.

Adapting and changing is fine if you have a base system to adapt and change from. We don't have that. Our plan A is to retain possession in the back half and hopefully find a hole somewhere.

Remember that we've well established that turnovers are the biggest way to concede scores quickly. Our players hesitate because they're trying to find the next option instead of instinctively knowing where the options will be, which allows the opposition to set up and create those turnovers anyway.

We talk about everyone knowing and executing their role in defence. We need to bring that same cohesion to our offence or we'll have another season where we can't score.

I don’t give two *s what it literally means. In the zen context it means not being anchored to one particular belief or method.

Fire doesn’t have a form. Water doesn’t have a form. Earth doesn’t have a form. Air doesn’t have a form. All four elements move, taking the path of least resistance. Yet you know each of them when you see or feel them.

Offence is the easy part when you have a proactive defence that is creating turnovers and catching players out of position. The defence structure becomes the offensive structure. There should be no difference between the setup of our defence and the setup of our offence.

That means no flooding back to defend, but instead defending from the point of turnover. It means pounding on loose balls as soon as they appear. It means keeping a shape that reacts to the positional changes of the opposition - becoming a square peg when there is a square hole and becoming a round peg when there is a round hole.

And no, we weren’t doing that last season.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I don’t give two ****s what it literally means. In the zen context it means not being anchored to one particular belief or method.

Fire doesn’t have a form. Water doesn’t have a form. Earth doesn’t have a form. Air doesn’t have a form. All four elements move, taking the path of least resistance. Yet you know each of them when you see or feel them.

Offence is the easy part when you have a proactive defence that is creating turnovers and catching players out of position. The defence structure becomes the offensive structure. There should be no difference between the setup of our defence and the setup of our offence.

That means no flooding back to defend, but instead defending from the point of turnover. It means pounding on loose balls as soon as they appear. It means keeping a shape that reacts to the positional changes of the opposition - becoming a square peg when there is a square hole and becoming a round peg when there is a round hole.

And no, we weren’t doing that last season.

The bolded simply isn't enough to score against the best defences in the AFL. Not every score can come from a turnover. If we do turn the ball over, it's easy, we've got a huge numbers and space advantage against a team that isn't set up and we should naturally be able to score.

But sometimes we'll turn the ball over in our D50 against a team that is sitting back on us. The plan can't be to chip our way through as the defence opens up, because the best defences don't open up.

This is how we played in 2017. We freewheeled a bit in attack which worked great against s**t teams we could simply outclass, but was useless against a well organised defence who worked together to stifle us and make us turn the ball over or simply kick to a contest we were naturally outnumbered at because of the opposition +1 or +2.

A good offence will draw players out of position to find space. It's not about seeing a round hole and becoming a round peg, it's about moving the defence around through leading, blocking, dummy runs and mismatches. It's about could of quick kicks to unlock the defence that you can make because you know where your teammates will be leading to, and you can trust that your teammates will be there to support you.

Everything you say about defence, supporting, moving as one to fill holes, pressuring the opposition into making mistakes, sticking to your assignments, has to apply to having the ball in hand as well. You don't react to changes in the defensive shape, you generate changes in the defensive shape by moving players around and moving the ball around. Proactive, not reactive.

If teams know we can't move the ball to save our lives, they'll sit back on us and grind us out week in week out, just like we saw in 2018.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Chad Wingard was 85 kg last year and moved like a three toed sloth. Travis Boak was 85 kg and could run all day.

It wasn’t the weight that was the issue. If he’s lost 7kg it’s probably from his fat head.

Did Chad nail your Wife, Sister, Daughter or something like that ? Because all this stuff your coming out with becoming a tad irrational.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Chad will probably play well as a forward at Hawthorn because they actually have a functioning system of ball movement and a capacity to score more than about 7 goals a game.
Having there best mid out for the year won't help.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
[Fast forward to end-of-season exit interview]

Hinkley: "Chad, it should come as no surprise that I think your attitude stinks and you're not fit enough to play our run hardery for longery game plan. I've been telling you this all season."

Wingard: "Why did you keep picking me then?"

Hinkley: "I needed to preserve my 11-4 superstar status plus you are slightly more talented than Jake Neade. However, you are the second worst (after Jared) in understanding my esoteric definition of formlessness which is essential to how I want us to play. If you're not going to pull your finger out you should explore your options."

Wingard: "OK." [leaves]

Hinkley: [to himself] "At least we left no stone unturned and tried everything possible."

Back