Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm pretty sure that would be just for the T20, and yes I agree it was bloody loud, are you a cranky old man shouting at clouds like me Big Sauce?

I wont be going back unless it's another free ticket situation, can not get invested in the team or the result, I'll stick to Test Match cricket.

Not at that stage yet haha. It wasn't a great night. Average game, loud screaming in the PA. Half time entertainment was good though.

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
Was he? why? I think the Gabba has been pretty poor a number of times in the last decade. Plenty of times you would see the field looking patchy. The wicket is used for a few months every year...
Yes he was. The level of work they put into the ground and the wicket would surprise most people. Fixing the issue wasn't as simple as just returfing.

At the end of the day they get more to the cricket than they for the AFL across the course of the year so it's the main earner sports wise. I'm glad we've kept the wicket area rather than the terrible drop in pitches they use across other grounds.

Leigh and the club were pretty childish around that issue a few years back.

Yes he was. The level of work they put into the ground and the wicket would surprise most people. Fixing the issue wasn't as simple as just returfing.

At the end of the day they get more to the cricket than they for the AFL across the course of the year so it's the main earner sports wise. I'm glad we've kept the wicket area rather than the terrible drop in pitches they use across other grounds.

Leigh and the club were pretty childish around that issue a few years back.

Where'd you get those figures from? Just had a look and there is 3 Gabba BBL matches for their season as well as the test. If test matches averaged over 30k per day you'd be right...but that's not the case.

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
Where'd you get those figures from? Just had a look and there is 3 Gabba BBL matches for their season as well as the test. If test matches averaged over 30k per day you'd be right...but that's not the case.
You'd be right except there are 5 big bash games this season at the Gabba. If you look at last season they had 5 as well, a test and 2 ODI’s with total crowds of approx 340,000. The lions ended up with approx 202,000 so just a slight difference there.

Last edited:
You'd be right except there are 5 big bash games this season at the Gabba. If you look at last season they had 5 as well, a test and 2 ODI’s with total crowds of approx 340,000. The lions ended up with approx 202,000 so just a slight difference there.

My mistake, thought I had read that one game was in North QLD and they only hosted 3 at the Gabba.

Last season was against England whilst the Lions were just coming off winning the wooden spoon. What's the average cricket attendance when it's any team other than England playing? I can't find the figures.

What Tibia fracture isn’t severe?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well a hairline would be infinitely better than a compound. Just the thought of the one Voss did way back still makes me all blegh.

I read this morning it's both tibia and fibula for Mitchell which isn't sounding good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Gee we have a tough run of games at the Gabba during the first half of the season, our pre bye home games-

Round 1 v Eagles> Hard to see us winning this one although a good time to get them.
Round 3 v Power> Good chance to send Rocky and Mayes'y home losers.
Round 5 v Magpies> Can we lift for this blockbuster prime time clash.
Round 7 v Swans> Always a tough team to beat
Round 9 v Crows> IMO will be a big improver this year, tough ask.
Round 11 v Hawks> Bank the 4 points, our bunnies.

It is at this stage a stark contrast to our away games pre bye-

Round 2 v Kangaroos> 50/50 game.
Round 4 v Bombers> One of the favorites this season, very tough.
Round 6 v Suns> Must win and will.
Round 8 v Bulldogs> Like our chances here.
Round 10 v Dockers> Lachie will be fired up, another win.
Round 12 v Blues> Must win and will.

It is not beyond the stretch of imagination (doomsday scenario) that we go into round 6 v the Suns at 0-5. IMO best case at the bye is 7-5, worst case 3-9.

If the away games were home games I'd be confident of 4-5 wins at the Gabba, I do prefer the better games at the Gabba though from a spectator/crowd drawing perspective.

Gee we have a tough run of games at the Gabba during the first half of the season, our pre bye home games-

Round 1 v Eagles> Hard to see us winning this one although a good time to get them.
Round 3 v Power> Good chance to send Rocky and Mayes'y home losers.
Round 5 v Magpies> Can we lift for this blockbuster prime time clash.
Round 7 v Swans> Always a tough team to beat
Round 9 v Crows> IMO will be a big improver this year, tough ask.
Round 11 v Hawks> Bank the 4 points, our bunnies.

It is at this stage a stark contrast to our away games pre bye-

Round 2 v Kangaroos> 50/50 game.
Round 4 v Bombers> One of the favorites this season, very tough.
Round 6 v Suns> Must win and will.
Round 8 v Bulldogs> Like our chances here.
Round 10 v Dockers> Lachie will be fired up, another win.
Round 12 v Blues> Must win and will.

It is not beyond the stretch of imagination (doomsday scenario) that we go into round 6 v the Suns at 0-5. IMO best case at the bye is 7-5, worst case 3-9.

If the away games were home games I'd be confident of 4-5 wins at the Gabba, I do prefer the better games at the Gabba though from a spectator/crowd drawing perspective.
I am looking forward to a 4 and 0 start and a 30,000 crowd for the round 5 blockbuster. :oops::rolleyes:o_O:drunk::footy:
It is nice to dream!

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Visited the Hawthorn board to read the Tom Mitchell thread.

F*** me, 20+ pages of it’s the end of the season for Hawthorn.

Lot of talk of how shallow their team is, and the need to hit this years draft to add some kids to develop for depth.

And a lot of talk about 2020 being in the window and making the GF.

Lot of talk of how shallow their team is, and the need to hit this years draft to add some kids to develop for depth.
Completely understandable!
Completely blind!

Visited the Hawthorn board to read the Tom Mitchell thread.

Even with Mitchell, they were never going to play finals in 2019. So it isn't the end of their season, its the exclamation mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back