Tom Mitchell, recovering from a broken leg and now a Hawk until the end of 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

* it, from adversity comes opportunity.

Clarko is the master, and I'll happily back the rest of our boys to step up in Tom's absence. It will be a massive struggle but that's exactly how legends are born. The club knows where it stands and has another 2 or 3 months to plan around this, our younger midfielders will be given every chance to step up and turbocharge their development. Short term pain, long term gain. The glass is half full.

Probably wouldve been the perfect time for Burton to see if he couldve been the mid we needed, classy tweet from him too.
Burton is not an elite mid in waiting. If there was even an inkling of him being one, he'd have not been on the trade table.

Andrew Moore would be my pick, nice mature body and already has some AFL experienced and won Box Hill's B&F last year.
Andrew Moore is not on Hawthorn's list.

Any idea which one??

Andrew Moore
Will Hams
Mitch O'Donnell

Moore is currently Box Hill captain, so he would have to relinquish the captaincy should he be drafted. But he was named in the midfield for the VFL team of the year last year. Has about 60 games of AFL experience with Port Adelaide and Richmond.

Hams was a midfielder with Essendon and played a few games of AFL football.

O'Donnell is a talented player beset by injury and probably a little too small to make it as an AFL player. But he's fearless when it comes to hunting the ball and will put his body on the line for his teammates.

Andrew Moore is not on Hawthorn's list.

The AFL introduced a mid-season draft with effect from this year. Hence, Hawthorn has the opportunity to draft a rookie onto the list mid-season. I think there's a possibility the Hawks look to Box Hill to provide some midfield depth mid-season. Moore could well be a candidate.

Well it's nigh on impossible seeing us improve on last years Semi Final showing without our best player by some distance and one of the best 10 players in the competition, that's just realism IMO.

Just read the bad news regarding T.Mitchell, really bad news as a broken leg are notoriously hard to get over quickly (Nat Fyfe for ex.)
But I don't think it's all doom and gloom, realistically yes he's your best player and a top 10 best players in AFL (Brownlow Medallist)
I honestly believe you guys will find a way to spread the load (Hawthorn always finds a way) and cover his output to about 80%
Anyway all the best for the coming season and beyond
Go Tigers, Go Hawks

Andrew Moore
Will Hams
Mitch O'Donnell

Moore is currently Box Hill captain, so he would have to relinquish the captaincy should he be drafted. But he was named in the midfield for the VFL team of the year last year. Has about 60 games of AFL experience with Port Adelaide and Richmond.

Hams was a midfielder with Essendon and played a few games of AFL football.

O'Donnell is a talented player beset by injury and probably a little too small to make it as an AFL player. But he's fearless when it comes to hunting the ball and will put his body on the line for his teammates.

Where did billy Murphy go. But more of a small forward. Also remember Mirra in rotation

What a massive blow to our season. Had such a bad run with injuries to massive players at massive moments in 2018, and it continues with TOM in 2019.

The year of the worpedo and JOM. Massive opportunities beckon.

KOLOKOTRONIS
Nice holiday K? Nice to hear from you.
We are footy starved in summer but you realise any news can often be bad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL introduced a mid-season draft with effect from this year. Hence, Hawthorn has the opportunity to draft a rookie onto the list mid-season. I think there's a possibility the Hawks look to Box Hill to provide some midfield depth mid-season. Moore could well be a candidate.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01...l-taken-to-hospital-with-suspected-broken-leg
from that article

A new AFL rule allowing clubs to sign previously listed players as Category A rookies will give the Hawks until the eve of the 2019 season to replace Mitchell.
NEW RULES AFL brings in mid-season rookie draft for 2019
Previously, clubs couldn't replace players who had suffered season-ending injuries or who had unexpectedly retired after list lodgement deadlines had fallen.
However, the AFL's recently introduced pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP) rules now enable clubs to replenish their lists with new signings through until March 15.

Under new AFL rules for lists this season, relating to the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP), we can add a previously listed player to our list up and until March 15 as a Ctaegory A Rookie.

Mitch Grigg from Norwood has won back to back Margarey Medals and was best on ground in the SANFL GF last year. Mature body, powerful and good kick. Would he be worth a go for a season?

Hope Tommy has quick recovery.

Anyone got any notable recently delisted Cat A rookies?
no it means we can take anyone that was previously on an AFL list as a Cat A rookie
It is why Andrew Moore has been mentioned and Barlow and Grigg

Mitch Grigg from Norwood has won back to back Margarey Medals and was best on ground in the SANFL GF last year. Mature body, powerful and good kick. Would he be worth a go for a season?

I was at this game and it was astounding how much better he was than everyone else on the field. Single-handedly kept Norwood in the game. We could do a lot worse than give him a go. Apparently his old man is not going well with MND so may be difficult bringing him out of SA.

If we don't give Grigg a contract we dead seat have rocks in our heads, you watch some of his state league games and he is Tom Mitchell level in the SANFL, we have to be giving him the spot, he walks into our 22 one would think, if not he would be very close.

I hate that we’re in this position but maybe Michael Barlow could be brought in as a stop gap replacement to offset some of the load. I know it’s not that bad but 3 or so hours of passed and it feels like someone I know has died.

I guess to put things into perspective, this is not as bad as Roughies cancer scare as bones heal whereas other illnesses do not.

We’ve faced adversity during our campaigns before like with Roughie, Cyril’s retirement, Gibson’s season ending hammy or torn pec but we always find a way to rise above. The other way to look at this adversity is that if it does become a season of developing youngsters and falling down the ladder then maybe just maybe that will be how we end up getting our next KPF via a good draft pick. It’s hard but I’m trying to stay positive.

I hate that we’re in this position but maybe Michael Barlow could be brought in as a stop gap replacement to offset some of the load. I know it’s not that bad but 3 or so hours of passed and it feels like someone I know has died.

I guess to put things into perspective, this is not as bad as Roughies cancer scare as bones heal whereas other illnesses do not.

We’ve faced adversity during our campaigns before like with Roughie, Cyril’s retirement, Gibson’s season ending hammy or torn pec but we always find a way to rise above. The other way to look at this adversity is that if it does become a season of developing youngsters and falling down the ladder then maybe just maybe that will be how we end up getting our next KPF via a good draft pick. It’s hard but I’m trying to stay positive.
I'd rather Moore than Barlow, knows the club, knows our systems and has more upside

Someone like Grigg could be a good get as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back