No Oppo Supporters Double-Death-Riding Carlton 2019 Edition - Currently Pick 1 and 19

What month will Bolton be sacked?

• April

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • May

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • June

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • July

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • August

• September

• He won't get the sack this year

Votes: 22 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I will be surprised if the bottom 3 isn't Carlton, Saints and Gold Coast. There's no finishing order that would surprise me, but I would be surprised if any of those 3 improved and/or another side went backwards far enough for any of those 3 to climb above them.

On the surface I have STK quite a way ahead of GC/Carlton and could see them doing more to rise up the table - maybe to 10th or so with a good wind

GCS still have so much talent, recruited pretty well in the off season, and have some possibility of upside

Carlton have no senior players, no senior leaders. Hard to see how a low talent list, without leadership can rise in the short term

They need to get more games in the young blokes and mid tier leaders

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
While other boards are still trying to keep the footy chat going in anticipation of a big year to come, Carlton are at least realistic about their level of interest.....

Screenshot_20190111-091326_Chrome.jpg

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
wtf?

the arrow wasnt red but there has always been an arrow on a quote that took you to the original post

how the hell did you know who/what people were on about ?- sometimes I had to go clicking 3 or 4 quotes back before finally getting a name or clarification on a topic

There’s no need if you read the thread from oldest to newest. Like the comments in the online papers which display newest first, you just re-order it to oldest and it’s all good. BF is already ordered that way.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
There’s no need if you read the thread from oldest to newest. Like the comments in the online papers which display newest first, you just re-order it to oldest and it’s all good. BF is already ordered that way.

Well yeah, but sometimes I'd not check a thread for two or three days and the first new post would be something like 'I think he should be playing more midfield minutes and it'll be a breakout year ' in reply to a post that doesn't mention anyone by name - you have to click back to remember who people are talking about

Oct 8, 2012
Darwin
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Sturt
wtf?

the arrow wasnt red but there has always been an arrow on a quote that took you to the original post

how the hell did you know who/what people were on about ?- sometimes I had to go clicking 3 or 4 quotes back before finally getting a name or clarification on a topic
Yes, I believe that its technical title is "The WTF are they on about? button."

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nah, still have a good enough list to be an average side. will finish in the 8 - 12 range
I am thinking if ever mitch grigg was a chance of getting back to the AFL, mitchell going down could open the door as grigg like mitchell is not blessed with pace but he can really accumulate and win the hard ball. He would be as good a like for like replacement as the hawks could find from the players available still eligible to be drafted...and i think in their system he could be a good player

Think Hawthorn becomes a new threat to our top 2 pick this year

Nah, too many terrible teams below and Mitchell isn't a crippling loss.

Will hurt Hawthorn though, and probably solidifies them as a 9-13 team.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
You're saying that like it's a good thing
It was only in reply to a comment noting gold coasts recruitment was far better than carltons re who might be better going into this season. But that post neglected to note carlton did not lose any of their A graders like cripps and curnow whilst GC lost just about all of their A graders

It was only in reply to a comment noting gold coasts recruitment was far better than carltons re who might be better going into this season. But that post neglected to note carlton did not lose any of their A graders like cripps and curnow whilst GC lost just about all of their A graders

With them Carlton won 2 games. Players (A-grade, and not) are an overrated component to a side, as they are the icing to the cake, not the cake itself. On that, I doubt we'll have a moment that sums this up more perfectly then Cripps game against us in round 23. That was one of the all time great inside midfielder performances, and Carlton still got belted by 100 points.

If you don't have the structures in place, it doesn't matter how many A-grade players you have there. You'll still be useless. Something GC has a credible chance of fixing, whereas Carlton really doesn't as they didn't make any off field moves this year. So yeah, I don't buy that their recruitment will help them either,much like how retaining players won't help Carlton, but improvement is certainly possible through another avenue for GC.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2012
Darwin
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Sturt
Nah, too many terrible teams below and Mitchell isn't a crippling loss.

Will hurt Hawthorn though, and probably solidifies them as a 9-13 team.
Yeah, I think that the Hawks are back to where we were 2015-16 had the ability to take scalps and have good wins but a little bit of a soft underbelly. Last year they had a soft draw so it took a 6-8 team into the top 4. (I'd argue that the pies were in a similar boat) Mitchell's ability to win the ball will be a big loss to them and I think that it will mean that they wont compete with the big boys, but they still should towel up the minnows. 9-13 is a fair assesment.

Oct 8, 2012
Darwin
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Sturt
FWIW this is my Prediction for the and of season Ladder.

Top 4
Adelaide
Richmond
Melbourne
WCE

(You can throw a blanket over these guys, the order might be different, I'm backing in our fitness staff, our ability and our draw here.)

Rest of the 8
Collingwood - Harder Draw, Beams is a big in, but their mids were already elite, still need to score and stop scoring.
GWS - I think that their boat has sailed, Sheil is a big loss for them, Kelly and Coniglio are great though. This will be the worst that they do they could be much better than this prediction.)
Essendon - Will improve a bit, a lot will depend on whether Joe D becomes the player that they hope. Sheil is a big in.
Sydney - I think that they are drifting now, Mills and Heeney need to find the next gear.

Geelong - Haven't seemed to click in the GAJ 2 Era, can play good footy but too sporadic.
Port Power - Will win enough games to keep Kern. Losing Polec and Wingard will hurt them.
North - has about as much luck as Santiago in old man and the sea at landing the big fish.
Hawks - were inflated last year, losing Tommy Gun will cripple the ship.
Brisbane - Young core is good, Fagan can coach, Hodge is a general. On the up.
Doggies - Played the youngest 22 in 2018 on 18 occasions, puppies lose Dolehouse and need to refind their Mojo.
Fremantle - Got some tall timber, lost Neale and I think the game has gone past Ross. Will be another nothing season for them.
Saint Kilda - Have some talent, but can they pull it together, can Richardson coach?
GCS - Lost May and Lynch but added some solid contributors to the engine room. Yr 2 of the Dew should see the structures in play.
Carlton - Their top six most capped players are , Simpson, Murphy, Thomas, Ed C, Kreuser, Jones. The next is Liam Casbolt. 2022 looks bright though.

119others

The Crows are coming
Apr 19, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
If anyone wants an enjoyable couple of hours on the couch try re-watching the R23 games vs Blues. Blues are beyond are pitiful and I love how Piggy Dunstall absolutely gives it to them all game. Skill level of Blues is absolutely deplorable - well along with hunger, footy smarts, fitness and structure.

Crows with a top 2/3 pick I am hoping grab Rankine end of 2019. Someone 'in the know' on the drafts board recently said he is not settling in well at Suns. Surely its only a matter of time before he returns home.

Otherwise I would not be surprised to see the Crows again trade pick 2 or 3, especially if there are no absolute standouts at the relevant pick. We have shown we are as motivated as any club to strike deals and could do a pick #2 and Crows 2020 second rounder for a regressing teams (Geelong, Horks, Poort) for a pick say 6-8 in 2019 and first round draft pick in 2020

Great optionality

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
With them Carlton won 2 games. Players (A-grade, and not) are an overrated component to a side, as they are the icing to the cake, not the cake itself. On that, I doubt we'll have a moment that sums this up more perfectly then Cripps game against us in round 23. That was one of the all time great inside midfielder performances, and Carlton still got belted by 100 points.

If you don't have the structures in place, it doesn't matter how many A-grade players you have there. You'll still be useless. Something GC has a credible chance of fixing, whereas Carlton really doesn't as they didn't make any off field moves this year. So yeah, I don't buy that their recruitment will help them either,much like how retaining players won't help Carlton, but improvement is certainly possible through another avenue for GC.
We are talking about degrees of garbage between what carlton and GC will serve up this year. I don't buy GC draft strategy at all for the mid and longer term and i am firmly in the corner that thinks they will finish clear bottom with carlton being anywhere between 17th and 15th

We are talking about degrees of garbage between what carlton and GC will serve up this year. I don't buy GC draft strategy at all for the mid and longer term and i am firmly in the corner that thinks they will finish clear bottom with carlton being anywhere between 17th and 15th

I fully expect Carlton to be their own tier of garbage, and give Fremantle 1-21 season a really good shake. Gold Coast I could easily envision getting 4-5 wins this year.

After all, 2-20 is beyond the point it happens by accident, and Carlton haven't done anything to rectify that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back