Prediction Who will finish higher - Melbourne, Essendon, Adelaide or Hawthorn

Who finishes higher in 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why they were in the thread title in the first place tbh
Well OP thought they were listing four teams with top four aspirations,

Seeing as we actually made top four last year I can see why we would be on the list.

Most footy observers were predicting a slide for the Hawks, this injury is likely to be a deck of cards scenario in which they don't even make finals.
Demonstrates the folly of relying too much on one good player to shoulder more than his fair share of the load.
ToM had 97% time on ground in 2018 which papered over the gaping cracks in the list, one of them being the shallow mid field depth.
As they say, one players misfortune is another players opportunity and I'm sure, well fairly sure, there is someone on the list who can grasp an opportunity as has been presented right now.

Deck of cards for Hawthorn is bottom 4.

Deck of cards for Hawthorn is bottom 4.
I'm expecting a brief rally early doors, then we're likely to see the capitulation as reality takes its toll. Bottom 4 as you say is a distinct possibility.
Let's face it, Mitchell going down means an Essendon v Hawks game will see Jaegar exposed to the hard stuff and we saw how Big Red put him away, plus you can throw in Parish or Hepps to keep him quiet which frees up Zak, Shiel and Smithy to run rampant.

I'm expecting a brief rally early doors, then we're likely to see the capitulation as reality takes its toll. Bottom 4 as you say is a distinct possibility.
Let's face it, Mitchell going down means an Essendon v Hawks game will see Jaegar exposed to the hard stuff and we saw how Big Red put him away, plus you can throw in Parish or Hepps to keep him quiet which frees up Zak, Shiel and Smithy to run rampant.

Relying upon Jaegar to run out a season? Gawd, that is like relying upon Dean Wallis to fill in a spreadsheet. A great coach like Clarko can get the most out of an average list, and squeeze a lot of premierships out of a very good list. However, it does rely upon star players taking on big roles and others working off them. When they go down, the bit players get exposed. Once they get exposed they lose confidence and get even worse.

Does Hawthorn still have 2019 pick one in the bank still?

Jaeger has no issue with the hard stuff, plu it's alright Sicily will just towel the Bombers up again,

Should get Cogs with FA and trade pick 15-18 for a star like Tom Mitchell like we did a couple of years ago. Goddamnit I love supporting this team.

Ahhhhh

You've had a great run. Of course, the next few years won't be as fun. Unless you like watching young kids develop and enjoy the occasional "win against the odds".

Relying upon Jaegar to run out a season? Gawd, that is like relying upon Dean Wallis to fill in a spreadsheet. A great coach like Clarko can get the most out of an average list, and squeeze a lot of premierships out of a very good list. However, it does rely upon star players taking on big roles and others working off them. When they go down, the bit players get exposed. Once they get exposed they lose confidence and get even worse.

Does Hawthorn still have 2019 pick one in the bank still?
Jaeger played 20 games this season... And yes we do still have our picks, but thanks for the fake concern.

Despite losing Mitchell I still expect us to make finals.
No excuses then.

I like the optimism, sadly I think you were pushing for 6th-8th at best and this will hurt those chances now.

As always when the big guns go down, the youth get a chance to stand up, so there could still be some surprises.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had Hawthorn 12th with Mitchell. I'll now have to reassess.

There's more chance of James Hird getting from A to B on his push bike unscathed than Hawthorn playing finals in 2019.

Unfortunately, there's a ripple effect. In the case of Melbourne, we'd be sending James Harmes to Mitchell, but now he goes to the next best perceived threat. So you're not just losing your best mid, your next best mid will also be nullified by many teams. Across a 22 game season it will take its toll.

No excuses then.

I like the optimism, sadly I think you were pushing for 6th-8th at best and this will hurt those chances now.

As always when the big guns go down, the youth get a chance to stand up, so there could still be some surprises.
I originally expected a finish between 5-8. I now expect a finish between 5-8. He’s one player, a big player in terms of importance but another player comes in and makes an impact while others rise. Also Clarko can shuffle a pack of playing cards the right way for the right result.

Some may think my optimism is foolish but I have full confidence that we can do more than just ride this season out. It’s also good knowing that if we bomb out we actually have our 1st & 2nd round picks.

Funny how Tom has gone from an ineffective stat padder that is overrated, to one of the best players in the comp and we are now going to be screwed and might as well give up on 2019 all in the space of one day.
Hawks fans have been talking him up all year, so it's no surprise.

That said, its a bloody shame to be losing him, for all football followers.

Funny how Tom has gone from an ineffective stat padder that is overrated, to one of the best players in the comp and we are now going to be screwed and might as well give up on 2019 all in the space of one day.

Stuff everyone

Hawthorn will still finish above Melbourne, Essendon and Adelaide

In fact.........

They will shock everyone (especially Kane Cornes) and finish on top of the ladder

:D

I really don't see how the Hawks recover from this. Mitchell is just so far and away their most important player. Averages 11 more disposals, 7 more contested possessions and 3 more clearances then their next best in each category. That is a hell of a lot of productivity that they need to replace.

Do Hawthorn have another A-grade, recent All-Australian mid that they can bring in to lessen the blow? Hopefully the forward pocket they got from Port can finally transition into the midfield and take the burden off of O'Meara and Shiel, who both now need to step up in a big way.

I am more optimistic with the Hawks than most. As unexpected as Tom getting injured today during the year things as unexpected will happen that no one here can predict. JOM wins the Charlie or Worpel stamps himself as a young gun mid or Hardwick is moved into the midfield with great effect or Dylan Moore comes in as a small forward allowing Chad to spend more time in the middle or Clarko and Sammy come up with new strategies that bamboozle opposition teams or Cyril is keeping himself in good shape and agrees to fly in for each game ................... Ok maybe not the Cyril one but sport always throws up many surprises.

The Hawks ain’t going to sit back and feel sorry for themselves and I hope that opposition teams are thinking like most of the posters are on here!

Pretty awkward spot for the Hawks now , some players are irreplaceable I don't care what anyone says
If Mitchell's injury is the straw that breaks the back of their flag chances what is the point of playing all the veterans to scrap into the 8
Hard for such a proud club to admit but they might be better trying out all their younger players and looking to the future

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back