Movie Star Wars - Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker - Spoilers and Rumors

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
there are a lot of videos from vloggers about this, but decided to post this one.

but one other vlogger went so far as to say that scenes with luke, han leia, from tfa and leia/luke from tlj, using rotoscoping, to make a reunion happen on screen.

that would be so inorganic.

others are speculating jj has gone out to get harrison to make some new scenes with luke in january/february.

talk about fan service.

Jun 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Episode IX- Return of the
star_wars_holiday_special_s.jpg

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I really think Ep9 is going to bomb almost as bad as SOLO.

TLJ pretty much ruined the ST. Undoing everything that was set up in ep7. It failed as the middle part of a trilogy, by not setting up a bunch of scenarios to care about, didn't take what was presented in ep7 and develop their paths thru twists and turns that ultimately concluded on a cliff-hanger.

People really don't care anymore about Kylo, Poe, Rey, Finn, Hux...the main new characters. Where there was intrigue after ep7, now there's a sense of finality after TLJ, and a sense of wasted potential drama.

I of course will still go see it, and I am sure many will...but i reckon tens of millions of casual-to-hardcore fans are going to abstain until they read some reviews from fans and youtube vloggers before seeing it.

Already sounds like Ep9 is heavily convoluted for a story....there are like 8-15 new characters, as well as attempts to "course correct" TLJ, as well as trying to finalize the Skywalker Saga with something profound and worth it, and rumors it's either a really long 3 hr movie, or a two-part movie because so much needs to be done to truly wrap it all up (+ course correct)....as well as edict from LF to tie in Rebels (what happened to thrawn and ezra), tie in elements of Resistance, tie in elements from novels/comics, as well as tying in the PT and OT, etc.

Lots of flashbacks is going to be bad. Flashbacks are always a sign of poor writing ability.

I really hope Abrams is not going to edit his own film, but instead a reputable editor is, so they can carve thru the tons of scenes, and find a better way to more briefly course-correct + some kick-ass sub-plot that can conclude the Skywalker Saga without all the fluff and filler around it.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I really think Ep9 is going to bomb almost as bad as SOLO.

TLJ pretty much ruined the ST. Undoing everything that was set up in ep7. It failed as the middle part of a trilogy, by not setting up a bunch of scenarios to care about, didn't take what was presented in ep7 and develop their paths thru twists and turns that ultimately concluded on a cliff-hanger.

People really don't care anymore about Kylo, Poe, Rey, Finn, Hux...the main new characters. Where there was intrigue after ep7, now there's a sense of finality after TLJ, and a sense of wasted potential drama.

I of course will still go see it, and I am sure many will...but i reckon tens of millions of casual-to-hardcore fans are going to abstain until they read some reviews from fans and youtube vloggers before seeing it.
It won't bomb because the bolded simply isn't true. The raging critics aren't casual fans, they are hardcore fans, casual fans are the ones that took it to $1.3bn and even if they were ambivalent, will still rock up to see how it ends. And the hardcore fans like you will see it anyway, no matter how much you say Star Wars is ruined.

I certainly hope JJ doesn't go all in for fan service and squib the point of the series, which was to move beyond the OT and open up new stories. We got a Han/Leia reunion in VII, a Luke/Leia reunion in IX. As RJ said, stop living in the past and let's move forward.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
If RJ wanted to stop living in the past, why replicate the battle of Hoth? The Death Star 2 trench run? The callbacks to Han’s dice?

Luke is supposedly the Last Jedi, but then he announces Rey is? The film contradicts itself on numerous occasions, no wonder it’s confusing as to what they’re actually trying to do with these movies.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
If RJ wanted to stop living in the past, why replicate the battle of Hoth? The Death Star 2 trench run? The callbacks to Han’s dice?

Luke is supposedly the Last Jedi, but then he announces Rey is? The film contradicts itself on numerous occasions, no wonder it’s confusing as to what they’re actually trying to do with these movies.
Because it's a Star Wars movie, he balanced callbacks with a storyline that moves past the Skywalkers. What did you want, an Edwardian drama?

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
As in, after this trilogy, the universe is set up for storylines outside the Skywalkers. Thought that was obvious.

A coherent trilogy should do both. Tell a meaningful story whilst also setting up a future framework. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

Also, I doubt Kylo will be dead by the end of 9. At least, I hope not. For me, he’s the standout new character.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
A coherent trilogy should do both. Tell a meaningful story whilst also setting up a future framework. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

Also, I doubt Kylo will be dead by the end of 9. At least, I hope not. For me, he’s the standout new character.
Well, I won't be surprised if Lucasfilm tries to have its cake and eat it too. But RJ was clearly the braver filmmaker for mine, willing to take risks and really open up the Star Wars universe beyond the Skywalkers and Jedi/Sith. My fear is that JJ will squib it, deliver a safe, fan-friendly conclusion, that does nothing for future storytelling.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Well, I won't be surprised if Lucasfilm tries to have its cake and eat it too. But RJ was clearly the braver filmmaker for mine, willing to take risks and really open up the Star Wars universe beyond the Skywalkers and Jedi/Sith. My fear is that JJ will squib it, deliver a safe, fan-friendly conclusion, that does nothing for future storytelling.

It could be argued RJ himself has already squibbed on his own ideas. The Jedi texts are no longer needed to teach the new ways of the Jedi; Rey has them in her possession anyway.

Luke is the last Jedi and the Jedi are no longer necessary; Rey is then anointed as the last Jedi. He couldn’t even persist with his own themes.

All well and good to be brave. But at least be consistent.

Would also be disappointed with the concept that Disney are just using this trilogy as filler to set up future stories. I don’t really care about that too much right now, good storytelling should be able to achieve both concurrently.

Jun 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I suppose you pay the exorbitant amount of money that Disney has for the rights, you most defintely will have your cake and eat it too. Expensive cake.
The plan would of course be to introduce a new raft of characters and then set infinite spin offs off that into perpetuity.
New characters tank or garner no interest, I guarantee "Sons of Skywalkers" and stuff of that ilk.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
As in, after this trilogy, the universe is set up for storylines outside the Skywalkers. Thought that was obvious.
The trilogy could have been anything else and it would still be set up for storylines outside the Skywalkers. It’s a bit of nothing statement.

Back