Banter Preseason general discussion - The Reigning Premiers Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Tried this last year with limited success but have decided to try again. Thread is to be dedicated to training reports so that they’re easy to find and aren’t lost amongst the general jibber jabber in the other preseason thread

So if you make your way down to a training session and want to share your thoughts, post them here. Genuine questions about any of the reports are also welcome.

Anything else go here :

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/preseason-training-the-reigning-premiers-edition.1208283/

I thought it was re-posting this as a friendly reminder.

They will certainly be more spirited affairs.We have one very big thing going for us and that is Yo;He is one opf the few players capable of blunting Fluffs influence.Mark this in your book; This is the year we meet the Dorkers in finals for the first time!!!

No we wont.

Freo don't have the midfield or the mojo to make finals.

You don't just throw in a couple of tall's and everything is roses! Takes time for the new players to get to know the rest of the team and visa versa. Leading patterns, who blocks for who etc.

They gained some good tall's but lost their 2nd best mid in Neale. The guy who seems to win BOG against us every time.

They lost Weller last year.

They should improve but finals is a big step up from where they have been.

No we wont.

You don't just throw in a couple of tall's and everything is roses! Takes time for the new players to get to know the rest of the team and visa versa. Leading patterns, who blocks for who etc.

They gained some good tall's but lost their 2nd best mid in Neale. The guy who seems to win BOG against us every time.

Basically this. Freo are headed in the right direction and should get a bit better this year, but finals will elude them. They've got a few good cogs for the machine, but need to overhaul the gameplan and learn to utilise what they have before they'll get anywhere.

No we wont.

Obeanie,dont get the idea im happy about it.I think Pearce,Hambly,wilson and Ryan gives them the basis of a good defence.The kid in the ruck looks to have improved his body shape and fitness.They are getting the type of squad that Lying likes.Big bodies!! Kids are not his thing! Blake Connerly,the Hills,Walters possibly Bennell.They are getting size and experience.Their forward line now has three big targets so they have something to aim at.I hate their guts but im a realist.

Obeanie,dont get the idea im happy about it.I think Pearce,Hambly,wilson and Ryan gives them the basis of a good defence.The kid in the ruck looks to have improved his body shape and fitness.They are getting the type of squad that Lying likes.Big bodies!! Kids are not his thing! Blake Connerly,the Hills,Walters possibly Bennell.They are getting size and experience.Their forward line now has three big targets so they have something to aim at.I hate their guts but im a realist.

No worries.

They are building but as someone else added Ross will be tweaking the game plan now they have real forward targets.

So new players, different game plan so a fair few changes occurring. It takes time for lists and game plans to gel and Freo have turned over their list in a big way the last three years. They need time and games to to work through all these things. It isn't easy to throw new players into key positions and everything click.

^^ Yes, same thoughts about the above criticisms of Freo, too early to write them off (or to build them up perhaps?) but just seems more cohesion there, on a mission.
But they could be doomed as long as Slimy Ross is Boss?
Btw it's ok to discuss Freo positively-as in realistically-without having to declare your hate for them or your loyalty to the Eagles, surely.
On an upbeat note, some good news trickling in now on Oallen, Brander, Waterman. Also on new tweaks to gameplan.
Surprised to hear 'a lot of players are completing Next Coach Programs and getting experience in that field as well' says Graham.
"Interestingly, Graham said the players – not just the coaches – had a big say in how they wanted the team to attack the upcoming season.."
Will need any advantage to go B2B...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone writing any team off at this stage of the season has historically proven to be a numpty. Having said that it's probably safe enough to write off Gold Coast.

There may be good reasons to think Freo won't make finals this year, but at this stage it's still all theory.

It would be interesting to analyse those sides that vault out of the bottom 4-5 into the top 8.

I'd suggest that the teams that do that have been playing together for a while and have a core of A graders that provide structure and drive in key posts.

This is why I would be quite surprised to see Freo leap into the top 8. Big list turn over the past three years, new KP forwards, a "renovated" game plan and they lost Neale.

When people wrote off the Eagles last year just look at our core group. 15 odd GF players, one of the best spines in the comp and an injection of semi mature flankers in Rioli and Ryan both in their early 20's.

Tigers also had a very experienced core who bolted into being Premiers.

Bulldogs the same.

So it takes a fairly well credentialed list who have had a bit of bad luck to go bottom four to top 8. Freo simply need time. 2020 I can see them pushing hard for finals.

Astro,there are a lot of Bi-supporters in WA and that is a species i have a particular loathing for.I dont want to be considered in that camp if youll excuse the pun.

^^ Yes, same thoughts about the above criticisms of Freo, too early to write them off (or to build them up perhaps?) but just seems more cohesion there, on a mission.
But they could be doomed as long as Slimy Ross is Boss?
Btw it's ok to discuss Freo positively-as in realistically-without having to declare your hate for them or your loyalty to the Eagles, surely.
On an upbeat note, some good news trickling in now on Oallen, Brander, Waterman. Also on new tweaks to gameplan.
Surprised to hear 'a lot of players are completing Next Coach Programs and getting experience in that field as well' says Graham.
"Interestingly, Graham said the players – not just the coaches – had a big say in how they wanted the team to attack the upcoming season.."
Will need any advantage to go B2B...

"Surprised to hear 'a lot of players are completing Next Coach Programs and getting experience in that field as well' says Graham." - Yes, that interested me too. Anyone have ideas on who they might be?

It would be interesting to analyse those sides that vault out of the bottom 4-5 into the top 8.

I'd suggest that the teams that do that have been playing together for a while and have a core of A graders that provide structure and drive in key posts.

This is why I would be quite surprised to see Freo leap into the top 8. Big list turn over the past three years, new KP forwards, a "renovated" game plan and they lost Neale.

When people wrote off the Eagles last year just look at our core group. 15 odd GF players, one of the best spines in the comp and an injection of semi mature flankers in Rioli and Ryan both in their early 20's.

Tigers also had a very experienced core who bolted into being Premiers.

Bulldogs the same.

So it takes a fairly well credentialed list who have had a bit of bad luck to go bottom four to top 8. Freo simply need time. 2020 I can see them pushing hard for finals.

I was more thinking scrape in if everything goes right. Interstate clubs have a more significant home ground advantage during the season and that can help with the scraping in.

As for the experienced core, Freo have one of those. Fyfe, Sandilands, Mundy, Hill x 2, Walters, Wilson, Hamling. A few kids come on faster than expected, game plan clicks second half of the year, Melbourne do a massive choke and bam....8th spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back