Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The positive of the Mitchell injury is no one knows what the game plan will be without him, and Clarko and the boys have time to plan and prepare.

Get well soon, Mitch.

Thanks for the updates.

Sorry for the late report. Work got in the way.

Putting aside the Mitchell incident for now, it was a cracking day for a training session. It was great to be there with Abasi, Eldorado, houdinohuddo & Ordovician. The other observers have very nicely covered today's session but I will add my thoughts.

It was great to see Wingard in action. Very silky, tricky, quick, evasive, hitting targets under pressure. But that's enough about his Fortnite skills. Him and Impey seem to be inseparable.

Speaking of Impey I expect he will go up a notch or two this season. Looking very, very good.

Howe was prominent, showing aggression and making his presence felt in positive ways with and without the ball.

CJ is so quick. Always applying pressure at every possible opportunity, causing others to double take and fumble. If he can get to the required level with ball in hand he will really be something.

Greaves is an elite kick.

Scrimshaw is 100% a Birchall clone, even moves like him with the slight hunch. I like how he goes about it and have high hopes for him.

The unknown tall guy I believe is the son of our CEO, Justin Reeves. He is 208cm. Not sure why he is training with the team.

Awesome to see Birchall out there with no tape or strapping. Likewise for Scully. I won't be at all surprised if Scully plays early in the season.

I like the look of Will Golds. Goes in hard and can definitely play.

Jackson Ross kicked a beautiful running goal from the wing. He moves very nicely for a tall guy.

Unfotuantely the incident with Tom and the Ambulance on the ground brougt training to a virtual stop just as they were gearing up for some match sim so there is not much more to say today. Will have more next week.

Not much to say about what happened to Tom. It happened, he will recover and be back. We now have room for someone to step up. Howe, Worpel, Wingard, Jaegar, Cousins, Jones. It will be exciting to see how we handle this massive loss.

More from me next week.
Thanks for positives on a s**t day Axe you’re a champ

Echo what I said earlier and what Axe just posted. Scrimshaw has me excited. They've cloned Birchall, that's what it looks like. Hopefully better knees.

Looks really happy too. Hopefully Gromma can have some comment on where he is at in his headspace

Hey Bris that's BS and you know it, opinion based forum, didn't think hr bagged the s**t out of them just stated that he didn't think they would make it.
So often when something like this gets said / posted the knights of the fanboy realm show there soft underbelly not all players are going to make it,
For the record before I was on big footy I let all around me at the footy know that I thought Brad Sewell was going to be nothing but a hack, I was wrong. Once.
Surely negative opinions of players can be expressed on here without the need for the realm to play the man, just remind them when said players step up they were wrong.
Please explain to me the point of writing 19 year old players off months before the season has started.

Please explain to me the point of writing 19 year old players off months before the season has started.
You know you could simply disagree without playing the man or doing a little points scoring of your own. What a boring place this would be if everyone had to agree with you and Abasi. I am not offended in the least if you have a different opinion. I just stated mine, in response to a post that declared Ollie and CJ to be at the head of the list to make a debut. I disagreed, as is my right. I also went a little further to say that I did not think they would make it. Also my right. You want to get your nose out of joint then go right ahead.

You know you could simply disagree without playing the man or doing a little points scoring of your own. What a boring place this would be if everyone had to agree with you and Abasi. I am not offended in the least if you have a different opinion. I just stated mine, in response to a post that declared Ollie and CJ to be at the head of the list to make a debut. I disagreed, as is my right. I also went a little further to say that I did not think they would make it. Also my right. You want to get your nose out of joint then go right ahead.
On exposed form they haven’t shown enough to debut but clearly the club sees a bit more worth persisting with to see they can be developed. But for some perspective, In jiath’s case, the time between his last game and today represents about 25% of his entire time on the list. You have little to no visibility of a quarter of his career during his developmental phase and you are willing to write him off.

On exposed form they haven’t shown enough to debut but clearly the club sees a bit more worth persisting with to see they can be developed. But for some perspective, In jiath’s case, the time between his last game and today represents about 25% of his entire time on the list. You have little to no visibility of a quarter of his career during his developmental phase and you are willing to write him off.
You have your opinion and I respect that. In CJ's case I have not seen enough to suggest he will make it. That said, he may improve dramatically and prove me wrong. In that event, I am big enough to admit I was wrong. For now, I will stick to my current assessment. But I am also not the type to throw up any "I told you so"s for any meaningless points scoring as you suggested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's s**t news about Mitchell - nothing quite like a gun player missing a season

Hope you don't mind the intrusion but just wondering what Hawthorn were potentially going to trade their 2019 first rounder for?
It was what was required to get Shiel from GWS(had we agreed to paying 2x firsts he’d be in Brown and Gold).

No way Hanrahan and Jiath are ready for AFL. In fact I am prepared to stick my neck out and say neither will make it. (Ducks for cover) Hanrahan can do a few nice things but I do not see AFL-level hardness or endeavour. Jiath is... well... energetic.

Moore, on the other hand, I really like.

I have strong reservations about Hanrahan's progress, but I am very bullish about Jiath. I am undecided about Moore.... he reminds me of a smaller bodied Monfries.

I think it is all good speculating on young talent, and expressing an opinion.

Sorry for the late report. Work got in the way.

Putting aside the Mitchell incident for now, it was a cracking day for a training session. It was great to be there with Abasi, Eldorado, houdinohuddo & Ordovician. The other observers have very nicely covered today's session but I will add my thoughts.

It was great to see Wingard in action. Very silky, tricky, quick, evasive, hitting targets under pressure. But that's enough about his Fortnite skills. Him and Impey seem to be inseparable.

Speaking of Impey I expect he will go up a notch or two this season. Looking very, very good.

Howe was prominent, showing aggression and making his presence felt in positive ways with and without the ball.

CJ is so quick. Always applying pressure at every possible opportunity, causing others to double take and fumble. If he can get to the required level with ball in hand he will really be something.

Greaves is an elite kick.

Scrimshaw is 100% a Birchall clone, even moves like him with the slight hunch. I like how he goes about it and have high hopes for him.

The unknown tall guy I believe is the son of our CEO, Justin Reeves. He is 208cm. Not sure why he is training with the team.

Awesome to see Birchall out there with no tape or strapping. Likewise for Scully. I won't be at all surprised if Scully plays early in the season.

I like the look of Will Golds. Goes in hard and can definitely play.

Jackson Ross kicked a beautiful running goal from the wing. He moves very nicely for a tall guy.

Unfotuantely the incident with Tom and the Ambulance on the ground brougt training to a virtual stop just as they were gearing up for some match sim so there is not much more to say today. Will have more next week.

Not much to say about what happened to Tom. It happened, he will recover and be back. We now have room for someone to step up. Howe, Worpel, Wingard, Jaegar, Cousins, Jones. It will be exciting to see how we handle this massive loss.

More from me next week.

Any sign of Ricky Henderson?

Last edited:
Totally agree Luvvy. Good fun casting the microscope over the unproven guys. Ollie's high end is electric but he seems like a burst player. He looks like he is waiting to detonate rather than say a Poppy who just wants in.

Jiath is a ripper. He seems hellbent on seeing what he can and cannot do. If he can find a level and build on it he will make it, lovely athlete.

Moore and Monfires!!!! Moore is tenacious, in the mould of Tim Clarke (with better skills). Can his body cash the cheques his temperament will write? His finals series sums up Moore - bring on the intensity and he will eat it up. Can he perform in free-flowing games?

No report today, copped a bit of Gastro over the weekend. Should have at least one report, possibly two, later in the week.
last Fridays news gave me the shits.

I absolutely agree with the positive comments regarding CJ. His performances in the Box Hill finals were sensational. His ability to read the ball and his judgement and sheer speed to chase down to intercept and tackle was brilliant.

No other Hawthorn player, in my view, showed such rapid improvement during the course of the 2018 season. He went from being a bit player to an integral part of the best 18.

Remember in the Box Hill grand final when he was running forward with the ball at a crucial moment. With his other hand he waved to his team mate to make position to his right to receive his hand ball (which was duly dispatched). Coming from a 19 year old who's basically just played a year of footy, that was really something.

I think CJ's upside is enormous.

I absolutely agree with the positive comments regarding CJ. His performances in the Box Hill finals were sensational. His ability to read the ball and his judgement and sheer speed to chase down to intercept and tackle was brilliant.

No other Hawthorn player, in my view, showed such rapid improvement during the course of the 2018 season. He went from being a bit player to an integral part of the best 18.

Remember in the Box Hill grand final when he was running forward with the ball at a crucial moment. With his other hand he waved to his team mate to make position to his right to receive his hand ball (which was duly dispatched). Coming from a 19 year old who's basically just played a year of footy, that was really something.

I think CJ's upside is enormous.
HBF'er, Mississippi?
What position do you see him taking up, at AFL level?

*noted, that he was 3rd from memory in the 2km Time Trial at Draft Camo, about 3 secs behind Dylan Moore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back