Geelong for the flag in 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

VineyToClark

Senior List
Jan 16, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Or how wrong they've been for so long.

Wrong in 2011, 2013, 2016 and 2017 when they tipped Geelong to slide only for Geelong to finish top 2 again in all of those years.

Were they wrong in 2015 and 2018 though when Geelong finished 10th and 8th in those respective years?

Wrong in 2011, 2013, 2016 and 2017 when they tipped Geelong to slide only for Geelong to finish top 2 again in all of those years.

Were they wrong in 2015 and 2018 though when Geelong finished 10th and 8th in those respective years?
They were wrong last year as well when they tipped us to miss the top 8. If Ablett and Taylor kick those last second goals against Richmond and the Bulldogs respectively, and Guthrie, Cockatoo and Ablett don't get injured against West Coast, we'd have finished in 2nd spot again. ;) And we had a bad run with injuries last year too.

And they'll be wrong again.

The people of this country hate being wrong so year after year they'll predict the same outcomes hoping to finally right their wrongs. The process continues until they're eventually proven right and then they'll turn around and say I told you so.

It'll happen eventually but it won't be next year. We have too much top end talent to fall down the ladder.

We lost three games by less than a kick. Had we won it would have seen us finish second. We had what was acknowledged to be one of the harder draws and ran with the second most debutants, many of whom showed lots of upside. I see plenty of room for improvement.

I don't agree with you, but am happy for the Cats to remain underrated.
You also beat Melbourne twice by less than a kick. And that’s just off the top of my head.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Not agreeing with you on your mostly subjective points of view = I don't know much about football.... seems legit.

As it stands today, I think that midfield is overrated, reading off pages of accolades does nothing for the question at hand, Geelong flag 2019? not a chance.
I think we are a chance as are a good number of teams

I do agree with you on the midfield. While it has the star names the reality is Geelong were flogged for Centre clearances last season

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
Geelong's two main problems:

Unless they can create some variety in their forward-line and unless they reprogram their midfield they won't be playing finals. And they're certainly no chance of winning a flag.

Geelong fans - do me a favour. Watch the first quarter again of the elimination final of 2018 (if you still have it). Specifically reference stoppages and contests when the ball is in dispute. Pause the vision. Do this on multiple occasions. What you'll see is Melbourne constantly outnumbering you around the contest and around the outside of the contest. On rare occasions Geelong have the same number of players in the screen shot (never more), but even then, close to the actual ball there will be 3-4 Melbourne players to 1-2 Geelong players. Even when the ball leaves that contest the next contest is the same. Geelong being outnumbered. Over the course of 120 minutes you're not going to win games with "heat" when your midfield is reactionary and second to the ball.

Unless Chris Scott changes what he wants from his midfielders they have no chance of winning a flag.

It's game-plan and style as much as personnel that's the issue for Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Not even close to the "best midfield assembled", Hell, its not even the best Geelong midfield in the last decade....... Just a massive media beat up that seemingly some people eat up and accept. Dangerfield is the only A1 jet in that midfield, Selwood is an overrated battler and Ablett is a has been, heck Duncan is the 2nd best midfielder at that club but gets no accolades because he isnt a "media superstar".

Its no surprise it hasn't worked, nor will it work... getting an injury plagued 34 year old Ablett back to the club as a top up to basically attempt to have an assault on the flag. Surprise, surprise once again shot blanks, Ablett was regularly playing on 1 leg and just shows this club was in desperation mode. More of the same next year.

Utter rot. Its mostly a surprise he played as well as he did last year.

We’ve turned over 30 spots on our list in the past 3 years, so GAJ’s role was to assist in stability and to in team coach the youth. Pretty handy addition one of the best players of all time to do that.

Two others to do same Mitchell at Weagles- that went well and top bloke at Bris-also went well.

I find it somewhat creepy these types of comments, talking of ‘desperation’ etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Daniel McL

Brownlow Medallist
May 21, 2014
ACT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
lol Daniel McL thoughts kent?

To improve enough to win finals in the first place the coach would have to accept that we have to change the way we play & I don’t know if he’s ready to accept that.

If he has accepted that and realised that we need to move the ball faster out of defence & through the midfield, plus apply a lot more pressure inside 50 (which I’m hoping the additions of Dahlhaus + Rohan mean), as well as give more responsibility to the younger guys pushing into the midfield like Parfitt, Narkle, Fogarty, Constable, etc then we are a chance imo.

We are such a consistently inconsistent team though so it really could go a few ways:
- Everything we try works & we don’t have too many injuries throughout the year & we actually stand up in finals then we could win the flag.
- We’ll stay around the same mark, making finals but not being a threat in the finals.
- What we change doesn’t work and we finish 12-16th.

No idea which way it’s going to go.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
To improve enough to win finals in the first place the coach would have to accept that we have to change the way we play & I don’t know if he’s ready to accept that.

If he has accepted that and realised that we need to move the ball faster out of defence & through the midfield, plus apply a lot more pressure inside 50 (which I’m hoping the additions of Dahlhaus + Rohan mean), as well as give more responsibility to the younger guys pushing into the midfield like Parfitt, Narkle, Fogarty, Constable, etc then we are a chance imo.

We are such a consistently inconsistent team though so it really could go a few ways:
- Everything we try works & we don’t have too many injuries throughout the year & we actually stand up in finals then we could win the flag.
- We’ll stay around the same mark, making finals but not being a threat in the finals.
- What we change doesn’t work and we finish 12-16th.

No idea which way it’s going to go.

Good post.

Yup, it could go any which way. And probably will.

I find it interesting to see that in every shot of preseason training there’s Scarlo replete in hat and sunnies driving team performance. Scotty is obviously doing what he does best and that’s sitting in a smokey room strategising. Did we add someone to assist with this? I thought I saw something to that affect.

Daniel McL

Brownlow Medallist
May 21, 2014
ACT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
Good post.

Yup, it could go any which way. And probably will.

I find it interesting to see that in every shot of preseason training there’s Scarlo replete in hat and sunnies driving team performance. Scotty is obviously doing what he does best and that’s sitting in a smokey room strategising. Did we add someone to assist with this? I thought I saw something to that affect.

Scott has been away from the club on extended leave, he’s back on Monday I think an article said.

Love Scarlo so not fussed at all that he’s running things.

VineyToClark

Senior List
Jan 16, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
They were wrong last year as well when they tipped us to miss the top 8. If Ablett and Taylor kick those last second goals against Richmond and the Bulldogs respectively, and Guthrie, Cockatoo and Ablett don't get injured against West Coast, we'd have finished in 2nd spot again. ;) And we had a bad run with injuries last year too.

And they'll be wrong again.

The people of this country hate being wrong so year after year they'll predict the same outcomes hoping to finally right their wrongs. The process continues until they're eventually proven right and then they'll turn around and say I told you so.

It'll happen eventually but it won't be next year. We have too much top end talent to fall down the ladder.

Some very fine lines in footy, on the other side of the coin you won two games against us by less than a goal both decided by last second shots on goal.

Anyway are Geelong your tip for the flag this year? I'm tipping them for the flag this year as mentioned in the original post.

Some very fine lines in footy, on the other side of the coin you won two games against us by less than a goal both decided by last second shots on goal.

Anyway are Geelong your tip for the flag this year? I'm tipping them for the flag this year as mentioned in the original post.
Yes Geelong are my tip for the flag this year.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes, kick them out of the League i say, uncompaetive no - hopers the lot of them.....there is no future in Geelong's dreaming! .Danger, Ablett and Selwood should retire, their recrutiing officer doesn't know what he's doing and they're run as badly as Cricket Australia!

Yes at least investigate the Bomber, Dank drug issues (during their time at GFC) that seems to be true seeing as Bomber and Dank have been busted
Seriously this thread has sunk as the Titanic did, to the Bay 13 with this one

Yes at least investigate the Bomber, Dank drug issues (during their time at GFC) that seems to be true seeing as Bomber and Dank have been busted
Seriously this thread has sunk as the Titanic did, to the Bay 13 with this one
Na, keep it here. I want it to remain here for the entire season so those embarrassing trolls can remember the errors in their ways.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back