Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2003
Exile
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Unlikely AA, if our injury woes matched last season, you can hardly blame the coach for that. Hard to win games under those circumstances.

The club promised a 66 game rebuild, we have just completed that. Now comes stage two of the process. Why the **** would the club sack him one year after beginning stage two? Makes no sense at all, especially as we have identified big problems with the non-senior coach side of the footy department, that have just started to be rectified.

Agreed.

The one that sticks with me is Ratten, we utterly burnt that guy.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
I’ll be pissed off if we sack ANOTHER coach
As will many of us.

The club has adopted a mature approach to returning to the top end of the ladder since 2015, forsaking much of the 'old' Carlton. To throw all of this away because the media or some impatient supporters start making some noise would set us back significantly.

Carlton supporters need to look at the 2018 season as an outlier & remember what was produced in 2017 with a list which contained less talent than our list will contain going into the 2019 season. Bolts is no less a coach now than what he was in 2017 so I just can't see why there would be any extra pressure on him, except from those who want their coffee instant & their food microwaved.

KJP7

Senior List
Mar 22, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
No I wouldn't agree. We played attacking football with high risk often when we could get a decent team on the ground. Very raw and young still but look out here come the blues. Great to watch and they will just get better and better at it.

You can still sustain a brand of football regardless of who’s on the park, execution is the tricky part.

When I turn up each week I’m still not sure what way Carlton will play. Just look at how we lined up in our last match against Adelaide, injuries aside it was a howler in the coaches box.

Unlikely AA, if our injury woes matched last season, you can hardly blame the coach for that. Hard to win games under those circumstances.

The club promised a 66 game rebuild, we have just completed that. Now comes stage two of the process. Why the **** would the club sack him one year after beginning stage two? Makes no sense at all, especially as we have identified big problems with the non-senior coach side of the footy department, that have just started to be rectified.
I agree you cannot blame the coach for injuries but if we were heading for / have another 2 game won season in 2019 i would be surprised if BB is there in 2020.

Sep 10, 2003
Exile
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
You can still sustain a brand of football regardless of who’s on the park, execution is the tricky part.

When I turn up each week I’m still not sure what way Carlton will play. Just look at how we lined up in our last match against Adelaide, injuries aside it was a howler in the coaches box.

They talk mental scarring when sides get beaten badly.

Too me that’s bullshit.

He’s got games into these kids, who apart from having pick #1, 2 or 3 in front of them is just a number.

Those Geelong teams had to go through the process, in those glory years, they knew each other’s games inside out, they could have played blindfolded and still won.

What I’m saying is the Geelong style was a natural evolution of guys playing together as much as the coaching.

We’re doing it the hard way atm, but can see it happening the same way.

Last edited:
As will many of us.

The club has adopted a mature approach to returning to the top end of the ladder since 2015, forsaking much of the 'old' Carlton. To throw all of this away because the media or some impatient supporters start making some noise would set us back significantly.

Carlton supporters need to look at the 2018 season as an outlier & remember what was produced in 2017 with a list which contained less talent than our list will contain going into the 2019 season. Bolts is no less a coach now than what he was in 2017 so I just can't see why there would be any extra pressure on him, except from those who want their coffee instant & their food microwaved.
I like instant coffee and my food microwaved. :thumbsu::D

I admire your nearly infinite patience msr but I am feeling a little jaded after more than 15 years of mainly uncompetitive performances. Lost track of how many false dawns i have seen in that time and tbh i want success and i want it now.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton

what the heck is a brand? ..just curious..anyway as I said I dont agree....and I dont believe there will be any pressure on Bolton either....its still another year to mould this team from the assembled list....that means still more tinkering.
The last match goes down to cue in the rack against a good side on the day on home turf that had blown their chances. It means little.

Last edited:

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
They talk mental scarring when sides get beaten badly.

Too me that’s bullshit.

He’s got games into these kids, who apart from having pick #1, 2 or 3 in front of them is just a number.

Those Geelong teams had to go through the process, in those glory years, they knew each other’s games inside out, they could have played blindfolded and still won.

What I’m saying is the Geelong style was a natural evolution of guys playing together as much as the coaching.

We’re doing it the hard way atm, but can see it happening the same way.
Great post Stig......exactly :thumbsu:

Given the team we had, nothing the coach can do on game day to fix what ailed us. Kids were shot, senior players were injured and the whole squad had played more than they were capable of due to fitness levels being depleted.

Would be surprised if we had even settled on the side by Thursday night a few times during the year, hard to plan when you can only pencil in about 6 reliable players and a handful of kids, leaving a few spots open for anyone who could recover enough to risk playing.

Most of the squad hadn’t played together, can’t build cohesion in an off season and it is made many times harder when there was between 3 and 6 changes most weeks.

There ain’t a coach alive or dead that can make that work.

Dadda Dave

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Given the team we had, nothing the coach can do on game day to fix what ailed us. Kids were shot, senior players were injured and the whole squad had played more than they were capable of due to fitness levels being depleted.

Would be surprised if we had even settled on the side by Thursday night a few times during the year, hard to plan when you can only pencil in about 6 reliable players and a handful of kids, leaving a few spots open for anyone who could recover enough to risk playing.

Most of the squad hadn’t played together, can’t build cohesion in an off season and it is made many times harder when there was between 3 and 6 changes most weeks.

Spot on Jabba!!
How's that BF APP working for you ?
I hate it so far..

KJP7

Senior List
Mar 22, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

100% agree, moving forward with hopefully a healthy list I’d love to see us start playing the way we want to play rather than just horses for courses and trying to mitigate an oppositions strength and being overly defensive.

With three dangerous key forwards hopefully we can start to take the game on more and puts sides under pressure similar to what West Coast did to the pies in the gf.

Spot on Jabba!!
How's that BF APP working for you ?
I hate it so far..
Used it once then my phone was going crazy at work, turned off the notifications.

Struggling with the layout and finding where things are. Not sure it will be well used.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can only recall 2 coaches going out on their own terms in my lifetime, RDB and Parko after his second stint.

It’s the nature of the business.
Too early to be knifing the coach .... just MO hippy

Last edited:
100% agree, moving forward with hopefully a healthy list I’d love to see us start playing the way we want to play rather than just horses for courses and trying to mitigate an oppositions strength and being overly defensive.

With three dangerous key forwards hopefully we can start to take the game on more and puts sides under pressure similar to what West Coast did to the pies in the gf.
This ... so much this. Been begging for a midfield that we throw our guys in there and the opposition compromise their set up to defend us, rather than the other way around.

Watching our mids get slaughtered because we have built our key tall stocks first has been the one thing that has sorely tested my patience, despite understanding why we have done it that way.

Happy with our defensive stocks, content the forwards are closer to what we need anytime since Hammill left and excited by the potential of our midfield.

Time to turn from hunter into quarry. Let them chase us for a change

I agree you cannot blame the coach for injuries but if we were heading for / have another 2 game won season in 2019 i would be surprised if BB is there in 2020.
Something horrendous would need to happen for us to only win two games for the year and injuries not be the problem. The squad for this season is miles ahead of last year and plenty of the younger players gained valuable time in the seniors.

By all reports the kids are happy and hungry, would almost be harder to go backwards with that happening.

spot on though, jab - we couldn't do it all at once - tried that repeatedly with the "top-up regimes" - spine and talls first, backline, forwards, engine room
Yep, seeing it fail repeatedly got me through.

Went to one game last year, the Freo debacle at Shittyhad Stadium, can’t believe I sat in a car for 6 hours to watch that.

Sat there stunned for part of the game, then my mate and I got philosophical about the result and where we were headed. Did not join in the booing of our team at the break, could see what was happening and why. So glad that part of the rebuild is behind us, hopefully the injury problems are too.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
I like instant coffee and my food microwaved. :thumbsu::D

I admire your nearly infinite patience msr but I am feeling a little jaded after more than 15 years of mainly uncompetitive performances. Lost track of how many false dawns i have seen in that time and tbh i want success and i want it now.
Some of the false dawns you speak of came from a lack of patience by the club in trying to get back to the top.

We did a partial rebuild from 2005-2007 & then went all in for Judd, Warnock & McLean. The Judd recruitment I have no problem with, what he brought to the club both on & off field was invaluable, but the latter 2 were brought in, IMO, on the basis that we were ready to challenge.

We made it to the finals from 2009-2011 (& then virtually as a lucky loser in 2013) with a half built list. You compare our list now to that of those finals seasons & the depth of talent we have now significantly outstrips that of 2009-2011. What is currently holding us back, as I mentioned a number of times during the disastrous 2018 season, is the age demographic of our list. The pain we suffer now will be quickly forgotten when our current group of 18-22 year old players are 20-24 years old, with significant game time under their belts. Game time which will have been accumulated from 2016-2020.

It is highly unlikely we will play finals this years, but I am almost certain we will be playing finals in 2020 & beyond, but this time around we will be going deep into the finals on a number of occasions, not just getting to the 2nd week on 2 occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back