Tom Mitchell, recovering from a broken leg and now a Hawk until the end of 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on down Mickey Barlow

Now that is so close to a realistic option for a season that it would be worth a shot.
I still prefer Grigg or Bolton as whoever gets the gig they should be looked at as a future player but as far as competing at the coal face in 2019 Barlow would be near the top of the list.
I’m up for that

Very deflated before the season starts.
As someone posted a sos to cyril is about the only thing that will get me up.

Rather than signing a vfl plodder, i suggest developing one of the young bulls worpel,cousins,howe it will be more beneficial or filling his void with wingard.

A serviceable vfl player wont get us far they will most likely be off the list in 12months and we will lose out developing our young mids which we desperately need to do.
Better of Looking for a outside player with dash in the vfl to play chad hff role.

Now that is so close to a realistic option for a season that it would be worth a shot.
I still prefer Grigg or Bolton as whoever gets the gig they should be looked at as a future player but as far as competing at the coal face in 2019 Barlow would be near the top of the list.
I’m up for that

How old is barlow ? 31
how much footy did he play last yr? 3games .

Its worth considering with these new rules you could almost get away with parking a midfielder in the center square majority of the game.
Like you said he about the only player that would come close in the cold face.

Ps jor would be feeling pretty unlucky he might of got a regular game this yr. Ha!

Last edited:
How old is barlow ? 31
how much footy did he play last yr? 3games .

Its worth considering with these new rules you could almost get away with parking a midfielder in the center square majority of the game.
Like you said he about the only player that would come close in the cold face.

Ps jor would be feeling pretty unlucky he might of got a regular game this yr. Ha!

35 touches in his last game...was huge.

Club won't go this way though. I'd be surprised if we signed anyone at all

Shattered.

Clarko and the playing group have time and time again proven we can adapt and are not reliant on any one player. However, sadly, I just feel looking at our list Mitchell is not only our best player, he is irreplaceable. We are all fully aware we are very light on in the midfield. I feel this is going to have flow on effects for O'Meara, who will now get more work put into him, Wingard if he is asked to play more midfield and less forward and Worpel who will be asked to carry a bigger load in his second year.

Take Mitchell out and a midfield mix (excluding wings) of O'Meara, Shiels, Wingard, Worpel, Howe, Burgoyne (at 36) and Cousins is sadly average. Mitchell just made life so much easier for everyone else and we are all aware at times he carried the midfield. This year, I had hoped with O'Meara clearly tracking back to elite status, Worpel another year in and the arrival of Wingard pinch hitting we may actually have had the nucleus of a very dangerous group. Take him out and gee things change.

But anyhow, we don't have him and once more I'll back Clarko in to find a way forward. I just feel expectations need to be tempered for this season and it will be interesting what he comes up with. Can Hardwick play mid? I'm not sure on that.

Yes out for the season.

2 clean breaks Tibia and Fibula bones. Left leg as well..... not much positive we can spin on this one right at the minute.

I didn’t want to ‘like’ your post but felt I needed to acknowledge your response. Thanks.

Shattered.

Clarko and the playing group have time and time again proven we can adapt and are not reliant on any one player. However, sadly, I just feel looking at our list Mitchell is not only our best player, he is irreplaceable. We are all fully aware we are very light on in the midfield. I feel this is going to have flow on effects for O'Meara, who will now get more work put into him, Wingard if he is asked to play more midfield and less forward and Worpel who will be asked to carry a bigger load in his second year.

Take Mitchell out and a midfield mix (excluding wings) of O'Meara, Shiels, Wingard, Worpel, Howe, Burgoyne (at 36) and Cousins is sadly average. Mitchell just made life so much easier for everyone else and we are all aware at times he carried the midfield. This year, I had hoped with O'Meara clearly tracking back to elite status, Worpel another year in and the arrival of Wingard pinch hitting we may actually have had the nucleus of a very dangerous group. Take him out and gee things change.

But anyhow, we don't have him and once more I'll back Clarko in to find a way forward. I just feel expectations need to be tempered for this season and it will be interesting what he comes up with. Can Hardwick play mid? I'm not sure on that.

Mate. Haven’t you heard? Apparently TOM doesn’t do any damage with the ball. We’ll be just fine without him!

(God I wish this was true)

Hate to be too negative but has anyone come back from a significant leg injury and ever actually fulfilled his promise?
Tom was gonna be a multiple brownlow winner but lets just hope we get something near that when he's back :(

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Broken leg is not a massive issue man. It will heal pretty well and be as strong as before, even considering he has done tib and fib. I don't see any long term impacts.

ACL's are the ones you worry about most.

Lets just hope the surgery and the rehab goes 110%.

You never know what can happen,
look at tyson goldsack last year.
"just under six months after suffering the original injury"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I broke my left leg on the footy field when I was 16. Both tibia and fibula broke clean. Just crossed legs with an opposition bloke going for the ball. Apparently they heard the snap on the boundary line 30 metres away. So I feel his pain.
I was back out playing again the following year.
Good to hear you made a full recovery. So you reckon there would be zero chance of Mitchell coming back at the pointy end of the season?

35 touches in his last game...was huge.

Club won't go this way though. I'd be surprised if we signed anyone at all
I totally disagree. It’s all about having depth for what will be long season. Grigg IMHO must be looked at and if not him then I’d be on the blower to Gibbon’s manager to see if he can be pryed away from Carlton before he signs there if he hasn’t done so already. If those 2 fall through then I’m all for throwing a lifeline to Barlow.

Something that hasn’t been mentioned is that you don’t want to put too much stress on the youngsters. There will be plenty of game time to go around but I think it’s imperative that they fill that top up spot preferably with a like for like to replace Tom. JOM and Silk will need a spell at some point and you don’t want either to get hurt due to over reliance.

Not sure what all the fuss is about. Was only the 5th best midfielder at Shitney, surely won't be missed?

By the way, does anyone know how it happened?

For those that are old enough to remember, state of origin when Andy Collins tackled Tony Hall & he did his knee. I loved Tony Hall, such a smooth mover.

Tommy pretty much replaced Sammy and Lewis by himself. His work was through the roof the last 2 years. His numbers were that crazy and masked how poor our midfield has actually been. Now Jaeger becomes the number 1 midfielder. Is he ready for it? This injury is worth at least 4-5 goals a game, possibly more due to flow on effects

**** it, from adversity comes opportunity.

Clarko is the master, and I'll happily back the rest of our boys to step up in Tom's absence. It will be a massive struggle but that's exactly how legends are born. The club knows where it stands and has another 2 or 3 months to plan around this, our younger midfielders will be given every chance to step up and turbocharge their development. Short term pain, long term gain. The glass is half full.

Yes. This is the way through this. Good post.

Good to hear you made a full recovery. So you reckon there would be zero chance of Mitchell coming back at the pointy end of the season?
As someone else so correctly pointed out, there are light years of advancement in medical science and rehab since then, both in terms of the fact that that was over 30 years ago and that I was playing for a small country footy club. That said, a break's a break and I'd be surprised if he gets back before the 2020 season....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back