Society/Culture Hypocrisy of The Left - part 3

If education is a state responsibility then I don't think the federal government should be putting money towards it in election campaigns as a vote buy.

Since the question is coming about what I would do, I'd divert the chaplain cash to a positive parenting program - but that won't see results for a generation.

It definitely is a generational thing, no doubt, and that would be a very good start

Claude Balls

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Every time you speak to me you put things in my mouth.

All I've said so far is the left are happy to spend public money because they don't appear to know or care that it represents someone else working.

If you don’t like people enquiring as to whether you meant to say something absurd, don’t make sweeping generalisations with absurd implications.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think the crux of the issue is that the liberal party aren't as right wing as made out to be..
Abbott and co tried to reduce spending but they did it in such a boneheaded way that they instantly lost any political capital.

I mean Joe Hockey berated Australians for being entitled and then got caught smoking cigars in celebration. Bad look.

Costello for all his faults could at least sell a relatively positive message when he was cutting services from the budget. He didn’t tell Australians they had it too good, just blamed Labor for overspending.

Like most of the confected outrage in this thread, it's not real
It's a parody account (she's a comedy writer) but that won't stop people begin outraged at outrage.

Every time you speak to me you put things in my mouth.

All I've said so far is the left are happy to spend public money because they don't appear to know or care that it represents someone else working.
That's as just an ignorant statement as the one you were responding to.

Proud SJW

Cancelled
Aug 27, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think the crux of the issue is that the liberal party aren't as right wing as made out to be..
The pendulum swings very gently and very slightly in Australia, so Australians have a desperate need to pretend that light breeze is a gale in order to ensure their views mean something.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
And maybe you should ask why they don't. Why in a modern world, some people perform better than others. Bigotry? Then why do Jewish/Chinese people prosper in every country they emigrate to, despite facing racism? Why do some cultures fail, while others prosper? Why do some families repeat the cycle of violence? Is it all just luck?

Mate, 'luck' is something you (personally) have no control over.

If you happen to board an aircraft where the Pilot is a nutter and intentionally flies the thing into a mountain, you got unlucky. Very ******* unlucky. Ditto if you find yourself the 1 in a million people who gets eaten by a shark, even though the shark meant to eat you.

The actions of others dont remove the element of luck. If the only reason the car that hit you on the way to work was even at that precise spot at that precise time was due to the driver sleeping in an extra second that morning, you got unlucky.

You dont control the circumstances of your own birth, even if other people (i.e. your parents) do. If you happen to find yourself existing as a disabled child of a poor rural Indian family in the slums of Delhi, or you happen to find yourself springing into existence as Barron Trump, it's something that boils down (subjectively, to you) as blind ******* luck.

What you then choose to do with that life is up to you (to an extent).

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mate, 'luck' is something you (personally) have no control over.

If you happen to board an aircraft where the Pilot is a nutter and intentionally flies the thing into a mountain, you got unlucky. Very ******* unlucky. Ditto if you find yourself the 1 in a million people who gets eaten by a shark, even though the shark meant to eat you.

The actions of others dont remove the element of luck. If the only reason the car that hit you on the way to work was even at that precise spot at that precise time was due to the driver sleeping in an extra second that morning, you got unlucky.

You dont control the circumstances of your own birth, even if other people (i.e. your parents) do. If you happen to find yourself existing as a disabled child of a poor rural Indian family in the slums of Delhi, or you happen to find yourself springing into existence as Barron Trump, it's something that boils down (subjectively, to you) as blind ******* luck.

What you then choose to do with that life is up to you (to an extent).
Except there is no chance you could wake up as an Indian child or Barron Trump. Zero. You have two possible outcomes for being. To be or to not be. That is all.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
It's a debate on how much those without are entitled to the work from those who do.

But first, we have to agree that money is a measure of work over time, directly related to how much your time and expertise are valued, the money you are paid represents the time you have worked.

Why would anyone - other than the wealthy - agree to that definition?

Some people are better at their jobs but are poor at saying so; some people are ingratiating and terrific at pushing the work at other people. Bureaucracies live off the notion that money is a measure of work over time, directly related to how much your time and expertise are valued, and bureaucracies are the worst thing to happen to your business most of the time. They become self serving and self perpetuating, just good enough at performing - by the standard measures - to keep themselves in place, but not performing at peak levels.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Luck only matters where an event can have a different outcome, which is determined by chance. Can you be born to anyone else?
No, but a different sperm can reach the egg before the one which created you did, of the thousands of sperm that made it that far.

The variables are infinite. Your mother could've had a fall just after conception, and the early pregnancy could be aborted. Luck isn't quite the right word, because you are not lucky, you are just incredibly unlikely. Each of our existences are unlikely, so to that extent, we are lucky to exist at all; if we are lucky to exist, then it follows that any permutations along the line (from wealthy to poor, good upbringing to abusive) are also lucky.

Ergo, yes, you are lucky to be born to wealthy parents.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
No, but a different sperm can reach the egg before the one which created you did, of the thousands of sperm that made it that far.

The variables are infinite. Your mother could've had a fall just after conception, and the early pregnancy could be aborted. Luck isn't quite the right word, because you are not lucky, you are just incredibly unlikely. Each of our existences are unlikely, so to that extent, we are lucky to exist at all; if we are lucky to exist, then it follows that any permutations along the line (from wealthy to poor, good upbringing to abusive) are also lucky.

Ergo, yes, you are lucky to be born to wealthy parents.
Yes, that is the only luck. To exist or not. Not to be born poor or rich.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
You don't think, if your existence itself is unlikely, then your existence being placed in a better location/situation is not also unlikely?
People who are born now are better off that 99% of people who ever lived. What if instead of being born now you were born 1000 years ago? Why even limit it to humans - what if you were born as a dinosaur not long before K-Pg event?

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
People who are born now are better off that 99% of people who ever lived. What if instead of being born now you were born 1000 years ago? Why even limit it to humans - what if you were born as a dinosaur not long before K-Pg event?
Exactly!

Why limit it in any way whatsoever? If you are lucky to be born at all, then you are equally lucky to be born now, to a wealthy couple, who sent you to good schools and provided the steps you needed to become successful; just as while you are lucky enough to be born at all, of all the creatures that have been born you were born as an infant primeval mosquito about to be eaten by a primeval spider.

Them's the breaks sometimes. I will say, though, you're reaching a little to avoid coming away from this saying, 'Yes, I am lucky that I was born to wealthy/stable parents!'

Back