Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
De Goey.....oh my mistake he wants to go to the Dwarves..sorry.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Kingy writes today that for a Premiership tilt a team needs 'four genuine stsr factor players'.

The fill is the role playing of the rest of the team and the tactical influence of Scotts.

Who are potentially our 'Four' the next two to five years?

I have...

BBB
Ldu
Jy
????

How we trending for 2018 peoples?

Cunners
Higgins
BBB
Goldy
JZ
Tarrant
Polec
Ahern
White Walker
Jedi Master
Jacobs
Jy
EVW
BMac
LMac
Wood
LDU
TT
Ats
Scott
How many of those are genuine A graders? I count 4. A couple well on the way to becoming A grade if their best becomes their consistent output. Jacobs, def if fit. JZ can be as a forward. The rest are could be's, should have beens or have beens.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
How many of those are genuine A graders? I count 4. A couple well on the way to becoming A grade if their best becomes their consistent output. Jacobs, def if fit. JZ can be as a forward. The rest are could be's, should have beens or have beens.

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
I went to hit like on Passmore's post and it had unlike. I can't even remember coming in this thread or even seeing it.

Kingy writes today that for a Premiership tilt a team needs 'four genuine stsr factor players'.

The fill is the role playing of the rest of the team and the tactical influence of Scotts.

I have...

BBB
Ldu
Jy
????

BBB is an important cog in out team and has shown that he is a consistent and reliable target up forward.

LDU and Jy haven't shown s**t yet.

I think Ziebell has the "potential" to be a one of the stars as a half-forward. He hasn't spent a lot of time as a permanent half-forward and he looks like he is making s**t up on the fly for the large majority of time, but on the occasions we utilise space on the forward line and single him him out he is capable of being extremely dangerous. Richmond are smarter in how they use Martin when he is up forward and I think they get more out of him when he does. We need to develop some game plan tactics which exploit his beastliness. That being said, he needs to tidy up his goal kicking, he was wasteful last season.

Cunnington is an inside beast but outside of stoppages he tends to walk or jog around, if he got an hour of fishing time for each uncontested possession he earned I am guessing he would bust his arse a bit harder outside of stoppages. When he does go into god mode he is a freak and I haven't seen a premiership team that hasn't had an A-Class extractor. He needs to desire to be the best, I think he has it in him but he gets too comfortable at times with just doing his inside work.

Higgins is world class.

Goldy is an exceptional ruckman, his one weaknesses seems to be against the aggressively physical types and I think Hawthorn has pegged him as a bit soft which is why they targeted him for behind the play cheap shots. In his AA year he was fantastic, but I think he needs to get on the angry pills and utilise his mass a lot more effectively, he should put the fear of god into the smaller guys that try to get in his space. It may sound unsportsman-like but he should be looking to put a little runt into hospital early in the season that gets in his way to set the tone that he isn't going to take anyone's s**t this year.

Jacobs, if he can resume at the same standard where he left off is a game changing midfielder, he not only strangles the best opposition midfielder to death, he quite humorously also goes on the offensive and rubs salt into the wound by being quite effective, before getting hurt he was averaging 19.1 disposals, kicked 5 goals and had 6 goal assists, he was offensively one of our better midfielders despite him also pulling down the pants of the oppositions best midfielder at the same time.

I think Tarrant has fallen back somewhat, I don't think his one-on-one work was that great last season and seemed to concede a lot of goals to forwards he wouldn't have given a sniff to in previous years, he is still a good player though, he has a Rance-like ability at times to lose the plot when the defensive structure isn't working. I mean, how often is he nowhere in the vicinity of any key forwards when we see small guys trying to compete against key forwards. Not sure how much our players are to blame and how much is the game plan, but if you are the FB and a FF is kicking goals on 5 foot tall players, it is still on you. Still, I think if we get our s**t together he can be one of the guns that may help us to compete in the short-term.

I think if we can get our s**t together, we have a very good core group. It will be interesting to see the impact that Tyson, Hall and Polec will have in the midfield. I think Tyson is going to be a lot better than some people think, he could potentially be the pick of the recruits from last year if we can get the right structure. I think we got the best out of Cunnington when we had Greenwood in the side and as much as I like Anderson, Dumont and Ahern, they are bit undersized or don't play inside that competitively. In games where Cunnington has been worked over or injured, we may as well have pulled up stumps and gone home, especially post Jacobs getting injured. I think we have better variety of inside vs outside and more options within the inside and outside group now, it just comes down to can we get them to gel. Most other clubs that have injected a lot of fresh faces to the core team have not gone spectacularly in the first year after but some took off a couple of years later.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
BBB is an important cog in out team and has shown that he is a consistent and reliable target up forward.

I think Ziebell has the "potential" to be a one of the stars as a half-forward. He hasn't spent a lot of time as a permanent half-forward and he looks like he is making s**t up on the fly for the large majority of time, but on the occasions we utilise space on the forward line and single him him out he is capable of being extremely dangerous. Richmond are smarter in how they use Martin when he is up forward and I think they get more out of him when he does. We need to develop some game plan tactics which exploit his beastliness. That being said, he needs to tidy up his goal kicking, he was wasteful last season.

Cunnington is an inside beast but outside of stoppages he tends to walk or jog around, if he got an hour of fishing time for each uncontested possession he earned I am guessing he would bust his arse a bit harder outside of stoppages. When he does go into god mode he is a freak and I haven't seen a premiership team that hasn't had an A-Class extractor. He needs to desire to be the best, I think he has it in him but he gets too comfortable at times with just doing his inside work.

Higgins is world class.

Goldy is an exceptional ruckman, his one weaknesses seems to be against the aggressively physical types and I think Hawthorn has pegged him as a bit soft which is why they targeted him for behind the play cheap shots. In his AA year he was fantastic, but I think he needs to get on the angry pills and utilise his mass a lot more effectively, he should put the fear of god into the smaller guys that try to get in his space. It may sound unsportsman-like but he should be looking to put a little runt into hospital early in the season that gets in his way to set the tone that he isn't going to take anyone's s**t this year.

Jacobs, if he can resume at the same standard where he left off is a game changing midfielder, he not only strangles the best opposition midfielder to death, he quite humorously also goes on the offensive and rubs salt into the wound by being quite effective, before getting hurt he was averaging 19.1 disposals, kicked 5 goals and had 6 goal assists, he was offensively one of our better midfielders despite him also pulling down the pants of the oppositions best midfielder at the same time.

I think Tarrant has fallen back somewhat, I don't think his one-on-one work was that great last season and seemed to concede a lot of goals to forwards he wouldn't have given a sniff to in previous years, he is still a good player though, he has a Rance-like ability at times to lose the plot when the defensive structure isn't working. I mean, how often is he nowhere in the vicinity of any key forwards when we see small guys trying to compete against key forwards. Not sure how much our players are to blame and how much is the game plan, but if you are the FB and a FF is kicking goals on 5 foot tall players, it is still on you. Still, I think if we get our s**t together he can be one of the guns that may help us to compete in the short-term.

I think if we can get our s**t together, we have a very good core group. It will be interesting to see the impact that Tyson, Hall and Polec will have in the midfield. I think Tyson is going to be a lot better than some people think, he could potentially be the pick of the recruits from last year if we can get the right structure. I think we got the best out of Cunnington when we had Greenwood in the side and as much as I like Anderson, Dumont and Ahern, they are bit undersized or don't play inside that competitively. In games where Cunnington has been worked over or injured, we may as well have pulled up stumps and gone home, especially post Jacobs getting injured. I think we have better variety of inside vs outside and more options within the inside and outside group now, it just comes down to can we get them to gel. Most other clubs that have injected a lot of fresh faces to the core team have not gone spectacularly in the first year after but some took off a couple of years later.

You put David King to rest!

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Jacobs, Goldstein, Brown and Tarrant are all top 4 in their role/position in the AFL. Cunnington and Higgins are top level talents. No doubt. Ziebell kicked 30+ as a mid-sized flanker.

West Coast’s Grand Final 22? Elite forward (Kennedy) and intercept defender (McGovern). Yeo is up there. But everyone else just contributed. Did their job. No weak links. Had a plan and stuck to it. Well coached. Well executed. Fell 5 goals down in a Grand Final. No panic. Got the job done. The whole “must have elite players in every line” and “must have X factor” is currently bullshit. Don’t get me started on the Dogs in 2016 or Tigers in 2017. Any side that has elite everywhere and X factor can win the next 3 flags. North don’t but have enough to win one if EVERYTHING goes right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Come on Snake; the man needs to fill a page every Saturday for 29 weeks!!!

Fish and chips will suffice.

In fact, a potato cake would have more insightful football content.

Gotta_Bea_Hero

Senior List
Jan 17, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Higgins is world class.

You have summed it up perfectly. Well done.

Dirty_11

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 28, 2014
Beneath the Blue & White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Shinboners

Higgins is world class.

JZ's rise to A grade can be as simple as conversion in front of goal. He had plenty of chances last year and needs to improve his accuracy by a minimum 10% on 2018.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

JZ's rise to A grade can be as simple as conversion in front of goal. He had plenty of chances last year and needs to improve his accuracy by a minimum 10% on 2018.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

He has a relatively simple problem to fix, he doesn't kick through the ball at close range like he does further out from goal. A lot of his misses were in the corridor within 50m and he probably lacks the repetition in the chip kick for goal kicking action for it to be accurate under fatigue/pressure conditions. Now that he is a forward, he doesn't have the luxury to be sloppy in his primary role, you can forgive midfielders who aren't the greatest shot on goal, but now that he is a forward he should be looking to have a kicking action set for any distance that is reliable within the corridor.

Last edited:

Cunnington
Higgins
Brown
Goldstein
Tarrant
Jacobs

Genuine A graders, (whatever that means.) What club would knock them back tomorrow?

Scott Thompson up there too.

JZ (on the forward line)
Polec
Jedly
Ahern
Froggy

All need another year at North doing what they are capable of and then they may also be in that group. 2 years of it and they are definitely there. More than "could be's" imo.

The rest of them all seem capable of doing a job well. At the very least.

There are some players who had a poor 2018 but showed before that they can really step up. LMac, kayne Turner and Marley Williams were all excellent at times in 2017. Williams and Turner were leading the Syd halfway thru the year weren't they? Pittard made an AA squad. As did Hall and Tyson is not exactly s**t. Jy Simpkin could become a great player too. BMac and EVW could both be excellent defenders.

Cunnington
Higgins
Brown
Goldstein
Tarrant
Jacobs

Genuine A graders, (whatever that means.) What club would knock them back tomorrow?

Scott Thompson up there too.

JZ (on the forward line)
Polec
Jedly
Ahern
Froggy

All need another year at North doing what they are capable of and then they may also be in that group. 2 years of it and they are definitely there. More than "could be's" imo.

The rest of them all seem capable of doing a job well. At the very least.

There are some players who had a poor 2018 but showed before that they can really step up. LMac, kayne Turner and Marley Williams were all excellent at times in 2017. Williams and Turner were leading the Syd halfway thru the year weren't they? Pittard made an AA squad. As did Hall and Tyson is not exactly s**t. Jy Simpkin could become a great player too. BMac and EVW could both be excellent defenders.
I counted 4, you can add Polec to make 5. Cunners, Higgo, Taz and BBB. Rest, as I said, are could be or have beens.

I counted 4, you can add Polec to make 5. Cunners, Higgo, Taz and BBB. Rest, as I said, are could be or have beens.

Jacobs and Goldstein are also A grade players, whatever that means. Its not a quantifiable thing tho. There's no real scale. The AFL is the highest level of footy so if you play in that comp you are by definition A grade/1st grade.

I'm waiting to see what Polec does first before I consider him too.

czero

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Such a stupid kingyism.

You need elite coaching and a playing group that invites pressure and is willing to put in the hard work to make skill use automatic.

Literally any number of our guys have the gifts to be a star, but you need to have the mentality of a star - that's usually where coaching comes in.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

I have...

BBB
Ldu
Jy
????

How are we traveling at the top end?

The middlle to tail is ....average to below

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
How are we traveling at the top end?

The middlle to tail is ....average to below

The list is at ground zero. "Premiership tilts" shouldn't be in anyone's thinking. Maybe one week of playing an interesting style of footy and being somewhat competitive would be nice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back