Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 8, 2012
Publican Baghdad Ritz
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
You can still sustain a brand of football regardless of who’s on the park, execution is the tricky part.

When I turn up each week I’m still not sure what way Carlton will play. Just look at how we lined up in our last match against Adelaide, injuries aside it was a howler in the coaches box.
You seek instant gratification and it's not happening..bye

Feb 8, 2012
Publican Baghdad Ritz
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
I like instant coffee and my food microwaved. :thumbsu::D

I admire your nearly infinite patience msr but I am feeling a little jaded after more than 15 years of mainly uncompetitive performances. Lost track of how many false dawns i have seen in that time and tbh i want success and i want it now.
When it's always cold I don't blame you for being jaded..

mrjones

All Australian
Nov 27, 2009
South East Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
With all the talk of game plan and risk of Bolton perhaps not being up to it tactically, please indulge me with my thoughts.
There were question marks on us playing too tall last year and not having enough small pressure type forwards.
Is there any value to thinking that the Club has been planning and trialling systems that will work to the new rules that have been now put in place for 2019.
I might be reaching here but Bolts talks about building resilience and at times it seemed that in some games the players were put under what would seem unnecessary pressure.
Could this be because we were essentially training the players for 2019 and how the system will look under the new rules.
I might be way off the mark but being ahead of the rest of the competition in this area would be a fresh and exciting concept.

Last edited:
With all the talk of game plan and risk of Bolton perhaps not being up to it tactically, please indulge me with my thoughts.
There were question marks on us playing too tall last year and not having enough small pressure type forwards.
Is there any value to thinking that the Club has been planning and trialling systems that will work to the new rules that have been now put in place for 2019.
I might be reaching here but Bolts talks about building resilience and at times it seemed that in some games the players were put under what would seem unnecessary pressure.
Could this be because we were essentially training the players for 2019 and how the system will look under the new rules.
I might be way off the mark but being ahead of the rest of the competition in this area would be a fresh and exciting concept.
Not surprised if this is the case, BB also played the preseason with minimal rotations the year before the AFL limited the interchange numbers during the season. Seems to challenge the players to do things knowing it will be required down the track. Getting Weitering to play through injury early in his career is another example.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Not surprised if this is the case, BB also played the preseason with minimal rotations the year before the AFL limited the interchange numbers during the season. Seems to challenge the players to do things knowing it will be required down the track. Getting Weitering to play through injury early in his career is another example.
My opinion based on many little bits of evidence is that Bolton is training them into commandos (that also do the dishes). In other words well rounded young men that are equipped to fight for their goals. He told them it will be hard from day one. Told them to expect to be uncomfortable and challenged. At the time these may have seemed flippant remarks, but oh no they are the indicators of the work being done to get to the top and stay there. Build the list. Train the list. Some will get hurt in the process. Its why we see so many injuries. Call them battle scars but its that word resilience being created.

Not so sure about that, a repeat of 2018 or something close to it would see him lucky to survive in the job. There was a lot of discussion in 2018 suggesting he would not be judged on wins and losses but i doubt that will be the case this year.

Agreed 2018 was a disaster, there has to be clear, significant, and tangible improvement.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
I think your spot on mostly. Not sure on the rules bit because thats an ever changing scenario and I also think 2020. This year is still development. Though we may get a nice surprise.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
All these bloody Capricorns. They're so similar to one another you'd think they have the same mother. :)
Happy birthday Coona Blues and thylacine60
and to you, can not quite remember if you were the day before or day after. We do have some similar traits, although a bit same but different on occasion.
Just remember Capricorn = GOAT

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
I’ll be pissed off if we sack ANOTHER coach

I’d be pissed if he was sacked for not having been able to prove himself, just pure lack of patience. But if was identified that intrinsically, something wasn’t right, that he just wasn’t the right bloke for the job moving forward, then we’d be foolish not to move him on asap. Hopefully the team clicks this year and we never think of it again.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
I’d be pissed if he was sacked for not having been able to prove himself, just pure lack of patience. But if was identified that intrinsically, something wasn’t right, that he just wasn’t the right bloke for the job moving forward, then we’d be foolish not to move him on asap. Hopefully the team clicks this year and we never think of it again.
I havent thought of it yet. :D
Its so simplistic and I cant believe the way these negative nellies will never cease with the agitating.

There's nowhere else to go though and it really wouldn't take much.

Walls can be friend but can just as easily be foe, should things not go the way the club envisaged.
I'm not confident that the advisory position bestowed upon Walls will turn out to be a good one. Too many cooks can make for a dangerous recipe.

Fair to say that Silvagnis position is about as secure as can possibly be and if performance doesn't come about on-field, no one will be looking his way.
Fitness staff are now in place and being the new kid on the block, his position is clearly very safe.
The Head of Football is also new and his position is also safe, given how hard we chased him.
We've had time to mix and match the assistant coaches and Bolton has to play a large part into what is assembled. It's his team.

One can attach any ones name they wish to here, but given the above circumstances, if the team is not to perform, there's only one place to look at.

There's nowhere else to go though and it really wouldn't take much.

Walls can be friend but can just as easily be foe, should things not go the way the club envisaged.
I'm not confident that the advisory position bestowed upon Walls will turn out to be a good one. Too many cooks can make for a dangerous recipe.

Fair to say that Silvagnis position is about as secure as can possibly be and if performance doesn't come about on-field, no one will be looking his way.
Fitness staff are now in place and being the new kid on the block, his position is clearly very safe.
The Head of Football is also new and his position is also safe, given how hard we chased him.
We've had time to mix and match the assistant coaches and Bolton has to play a large part into what is assembled. It's his team.

One can attach any ones name they wish to here, but given the above circumstances, if the team is not to perform, there's only one place to look at.
Happy birthday
I agree about the coaching getting attention this season but not as a keep or get a new head coach question.

There have been so many other factors influencing the team dynamics, with the list turnover and injuries. This will be the first time we can clearly see the coaching effectiveness.

IMO the club will be looking to build expertise and experience that complements Bolts, when we do analysis of the season and footy program. We are getting evidence based it seems.

Bee Vee

Premium Gold
Jan 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
You can still sustain a brand of football regardless of who’s on the park, execution is the tricky part.

When I turn up each week I’m still not sure what way Carlton will play. Just look at how we lined up in our last match against Adelaide, injuries aside it was a howler in the coaches box.

I wouldn't think so. Game style is controlled by the team with momentum. Forget game to game. Watch some games quarter to quarter or even 5 minutes at a time. The team who has momentum controls the game style and the quality opposition are able to minimise the damage. Look at Collingwood this year. Teams had "run ons" against them but they defended against the momentum before getting the game back on their own terms. Then they initiated their own style of game when they retained control.
That was Hawthorns downfall this year. They arrogantly persisted with their brand of footy no matter the flow of momentum or how the opposition matched them. It was painfully obvious that they had no gear changes or capacity to play a different brand of footy.

Sustaining a brand of footy when you don't have there personnel to execute it or when the opposition take the game away from you is foolish. I admire the ability of our players/team to shift gears during the game. It definitely didn't always work but it was a great learning curve for the players and their development.

Let's worry about judging Bolton when he has a decent playing list to implement the strategies. That starts this year.

Happy birthday
I agree about the coaching getting attention this season but not as a keep or get a new head coach question.

There have been so many other factors influencing the team dynamics, with the list turnover and injuries. This will be the first time we can clearly see the coaching effectiveness.

IMO the club will be looking to build expertise and experience that complements Bolts, when we do analysis of the season and footy program. We are getting evidence based it seems.

Well thank you but at my age, I'm not counting any more. Too many numbers.

I'm a strong advocate of cohesion, inside and outside the team.
When the positive energy is palpable all around the club, people just lift. A little here, a little there and all of a sudden the whole is so much better than they were before.

Look at what Balme did for Richmond. It's no fluke that he comes along and almost everyone just somehow seems to have become more mature (I did say almost) and start to work fluently towards a common goal.

What I wonder is whether Bolton genuinely welcomed having had Walls handed over to him. Not everyone would have accepted this as being a good idea.
Now, it may be working beautifully and better than we could have imagined, but again we put something into place that has so many ways fo going wrong.
Anyway, only time will tell, as it usually does.

passmark

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I hope talk of Bolts under pressure doesn't stem from the club thinking the list is "sorted".

We're 12 days past a year where it was pretty well agreed the list was an unbalanced mess.

While I think we have addressed many of the issues it is way too early to assert this list is ready for anything. It is still very immature with heavy reliance on too few players.

I'm happy for Bolts to be accountable (i say as much in my signature) but he's still got players at the very beginning of their careers and theres no guarantee they'll be good enough. For me the next few years are as much of a test of SOS as Bolts.

I think the club has made some very good appointments in the coaching/admin/fitness areas over the last three years. The one concern i have is the Walls role , doesn't seem to be a step in the right direction imo. I may be wrong and his intricate knowledge of how the game was played 30 years ago may be the missing piece in the puzzle.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
I hope talk of Bolts under pressure doesn't stem from the club thinking the list is "sorted".

We're 12 days past a year where it was pretty well agreed the list was an unbalanced mess.

While I think we have addressed many of the issues it is way too early to assert this list is ready for anything. It is still very immature with heavy reliance on too few players.

I'm happy for Bolts to be accountable (i say as much in my signature) but he's still got players at the very beginning of their careers and theres no guarantee they'll be good enough. For me the next few years are as much of a test of SOS as Bolts.
I am as big a Bolton supporter as you will find, but he must attract greater scrutiny from this season. He has been handed a pretty difficult gig
to date. I am happy to give him top marks for establishing a united and focussed group, particularly among the kids.

While the group is united, there are a number of "alpha" types now needing to co exist in a ridiculously talented midfield group, how that mix evolves is
most assuredly on Bolts. How heavily do we rely on the experienced blokes? how much exposure and responsibility do each of the kids get? Do we overlook
maturity for development, and vice versa? How much opportunity do perceived second stringers who are still young and developing get, against establishing
a cohesive first string? A great many more similar questions beckon.

It has to be on the coaching group now, led by Bolts. It is unreasonable to dramatically question the quality of our recent additions, and thus the quality
of our drafting and trading. Their job is to meld these talented young bucks in to a dominant playing force.

I have every confidence in Bolts, but hope he doesn't get driven to second guess himself or his team by impatient supporters and officials, let alone
the hyenas who inhabit the media.

Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
I am as big a Bolton supporter as you will find, but he must attract greater scrutiny from this season. He has been handed a pretty difficult gig
to date. I am happy to give him top marks for establishing a united and focussed group, particularly among the kids.

While the group is united, there are a number of "alpha" types now needing to co exist in a ridiculously talented midfield group, how that mix evolves is
most assuredly on Bolts. How heavily do we rely on the experienced blokes? how much exposure and responsibility do each of the kids get? Do we overlook
maturity for development, and vice versa? How much opportunity do perceived second stringers who are still young and developing get, against establishing
a cohesive first string? A great many more similar questions beckon.

It has to be on the coaching group now, led by Bolts. It is unreasonable to dramatically question the quality of our recent additions, and thus the quality
of our drafting and trading. Their job is to meld these talented young bucks in to a dominant playing force.

I have every confidence in Bolts, but hope he doesn't get driven to second guess himself or his team by impatient supporters and officials, let alone
the hyenas who inhabit the media.

I think the period for unconditional patience has probably expired for Bolts now. He has a good maturing list to work with, so expectations need to lift around the club. I think most supporters probably love his demeanour but some have concerns about the game plan last season. There are numerous reasons for the club needing to take a decent step forward this year, treading water would be a bad result.

45 on Sunday :eek: That is some serious hot weather.

Hope you have got a good Air Conditioner Metalcrusher

Ill take a screen shot of my bloody power bill and pm it to you acey .... you would die of shock mate .... they reckon the 45 is conservative for tomorrow .. bom reckons it might nudge 48!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back