Movie Star Wars - Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker - Spoilers and Rumors

Jun 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The only grim satisfaction I can take out of all this is that Disney will lose a lot of money. But unfortunately in the process destroy a beloved franchise.
I class myself as a casual fan and in no way a knowledgeable expert like most in this thread. They bought the rights and just thought they could pump out movies infinitum regardless of quality and careful development. They trod safely with TFA. Keeping the Skywalker motif alive as a bridge but I bet they wanted to depart from the Skywalker story as soon as possible to cash in on new characters and the merch and associated money spinning that comes with it.
I know nothing of the EU apart from bits ive read here so Star Wars to me is directly Sith v Jedi. And I understand this is not the view of most. But we can all agree the failure here is to give the original lifeblood of the franchise a fitting send off. Not a bits and pieces, moving forward, revise back, abolish existing lore against the way the lore exists and then playing revisionist in an attempt to win back the disenfranchised fans.
Grubby grubby Mickey.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
5 months ago his source said they're gonna retcon/explain away Holdo's lightspeed move to say it's impossible to replicate.

5 months ago his source reported before anyone else that the film is likely to be a 2 part movie or 1 three and a half hour movie.

videos for those in his channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjH8yji7b4LldxpNKYxWU7g/videos

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Watching more of that dude's videos, he speaks a lot about not just Disney but all other movie studios and related partners, how there's a huge leftist move to put SJWism into every movie and TV show, lots of democratic political agendas/messages, so many movies getting ruined....Terminator, Godzilla, Star Trek, etc, so many changes made to stories, ideas, scripts, casting, titles of shows, remaking of old classic shows/movies etc. Many consumers are starting to fight back, it's a culture war, all the money the studios are pumping into these shows and toys etc are causing the studios to bleed financially, in strife, even NFL and many other bodies....there's just far too much politics, the whole escapism and entertainment thing gone. He also explains how so many studios and big entities are filled with leftist millenials who got jobs due to nepotism and affiliation with sorority houses etc, how if your leftist leaning or part of the woke world then you'll get hired over legitimately talented people who arent. For instance, how Chuck Windig got to write those books when he was a nobody, and he himself personally knew many acclaimed novelists who went for the same job but got rejected simply for political views, or their stories not being woke enough. Eventually Disney terminated Windig, and he reckons maybe Disney could look to redress the errors they've made like this by moving away from SJWism once Ep9 is over, get rid of KK, and all her cronies in LF, get Zahn to rewrite the post-Endor EU story, move Windig's Aftermath to Legends. Talks about how LF is divided, many KK cronies vs Filoni siders, and he reported this months before it came out -- that Disney would hire Filoni to direct an episode of the Mandalorian as a test because they are leaning toward eventually giving him more say in SW.

And as another video I posted which you all really should watch, from another person, who goes into length the whys and hows about what's going on behind closed doors. That Disney did not publicly endorse KK despite extending her contract, how all KK SW projects were put on indefinite hold and/or canceled, because it's a typical way that big companies/studios get rid of those bosses, clean slate, for someone new to come in. Basically, once Ep9 releases if it bombs they can't blame the new boss of LF because they were saddled with the mess from the previous boss. So what they do is hold everything, make a non-publicized extension of a boss's contract, let the movie come out, and then clean slate, give the old boss a graceful way to leave (family reasons, move on to other opportunities, etc), then bring on the new boss whose hire is geared toward re-invigorating the consumer faith.

See if i can find that video again...worth the watch...

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other things he said his source told him....

Episode 7 set up a bunch of mysteries/plot holes, so that Episode 8 would close them and answer them, and then open up new mysteries and holes for Episode 9 to answer/close and then conclude the trilogy. That George Lucas did indeed help JJ Abrams, tightening up his script for Ep7, giving some continuity/whatever, and helped Abrams write the whole ST story treatment. Not like Lucas' ideas were used, but that Abrams personally asked him to help him. That not a lot, but much of Ep7 was using Lucas' original ideas anyway, just Abrams took them his own way here and there.

Anyway, but Kathleen Kennedy didn't want Lucas' involvement, wanted it to be her thing, so when Rian Johnson came along she was all onboard with his ideas to subvert everything Abrams/Lucas had gone with, and pump it with Kennedy-approved meta references and SJWism.

But after all the backlash, eventually Disney have seen the light a bit, and got Abrams to come back, sweetened things for him, giving him assurance KK wouldn't interfere etc, tho they said you can't completely write off Ep8, you have to try to fix the ST creatively, find ways around all the subversion and crap RJ did to the continuity of the ST. Remember, Disney even tried to offer Abrams the role of LF chief, but he turned it down -- obviously because of what the video above explains.

Anyway, so Abrams has to try to work around RJ's ruination of the ST, course correct without completely flushing Ep8 down the toilet. That apparently there initially was thoughts to write it off, make it like Ep8 was all a bad dream, and why potentially Ep9 was going to be a two-part movie, where part 1 re-does what Ep8 was supposed to. But in the end they felt this would not wash and just try to fix the ST.

Indeed, Abrams has personally reached out to Lucas again, and in January/February has requested Lucas direct a bunch of scenes personally, that involve original legacy characters because it would be a nice touch, emotional for Mark Hammill (Harrison?), Billie Dee Williams, and George. So there IS this relationship between Abrams and Lucas behind closed doors....helping unofficially at Abrams own request -- both in Ep7, aiding in the entire ST treatment itself, and finally in helping fix Ep9 + shoot a bunch of scenes as a final thank-you goodbye type thing.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
It could be argued RJ himself has already squibbed on his own ideas. The Jedi texts are no longer needed to teach the new ways of the Jedi; Rey has them in her possession anyway.

Luke is the last Jedi and the Jedi are no longer necessary; Rey is then anointed as the last Jedi. He couldn’t even persist with his own themes.

All well and good to be brave. But at least be consistent.

Would also be disappointed with the concept that Disney are just using this trilogy as filler to set up future stories. I don’t really care about that too much right now, good storytelling should be able to achieve both concurrently.
It’s not about using this trilogy as filler, but it is about creating a universe that exists beyond the Empire/Rebellion, Jedi/Sith, Skywalkers at the same time as concluding the saga. He laid the groundwork for that far more successfully than JJ. I do agree with the first point, in that they didn’t need to preserve the Jedi texts. But I don’t see the contradiction in saying the old Jedi ways must end but someone can continue the Jedi by being willing to lead people in a new direction. Luke has been advised by Yoda that failing didn’t mean throwing everything in the bin, it was about learning from those mistakes. Luke is growing by recognising Rey is the new generation of Jedi.

The only grim satisfaction I can take out of all this is that Disney will lose a lot of money. But unfortunately in the process destroy a beloved franchise.
I class myself as a casual fan and in no way a knowledgeable expert like most in this thread. They bought the rights and just thought they could pump out movies infinitum regardless of quality and careful development. They trod safely with TFA. Keeping the Skywalker motif alive as a bridge but I bet they wanted to depart from the Skywalker story as soon as possible to cash in on new characters and the merch and associated money spinning that comes with it.
I know nothing of the EU apart from bits ive read here so Star Wars to me is directly Sith v Jedi. And I understand this is not the view of most. But we can all agree the failure here is to give the original lifeblood of the franchise a fitting send off. Not a bits and pieces, moving forward, revise back, abolish existing lore against the way the lore exists and then playing revisionist in an attempt to win back the disenfranchised fans.
Grubby grubby Mickey.
Disney have made $5b from four movies, plus it’s making Star Wars land, propping up its streaming service; you’ll be waiting a while for them to lose money on this deal.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Another thing he said his source told him....

Disney strongly urged KK to reshoot parts of TLJ to make Leia die in TLJ, in that bridge scene, that there'd be no expense too much to reshoot it, because Fisher died months before the release of TLJ, and instead to make Luke survive TLJ....but KK/RJ insisted no on both counts. So Disney had to go to other great lengths and expense-wise to devise ways to still have Leia in Ep9...had to pay the family of Carrie undisclosed money to allow them to use unused footage and the rotoscoping method, because the family insisted no to CGI Leia like R1, and thoughts of re-casting Meryl Streep as Leia was quickly thought of and quickly rejected. Same thing happened with R1 when they CGI'd Tarken, Disney had to pay the family tons of money, and his trust fund, etc.

Another thing....that months before The Clone Wars was announced to be re-released, before comic-con San Diego, his source told him it was happening and that Disney are doing it for Filoni, that KK didn't want it to come back. Thought it was too macho, too traditional, too Lucasistic.

That all creative licensing in LF has been cut off except Filoni's group. All the projects going on now are from Filono's creative group which Disney has greenlit. In other words, anything Filoni wants to create can be done automatically straight away, with Disney funding, instead of having to go thru dozens of layers of redtape inside Disney to gain approval, which was the normal relationship between LF and Disney. But they've already started giving Filoni say and power this way.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
sorry to bore you all, i go back to work on monday so i will become scant around here most of the time. will leave people in peace, tho every now and then i will jump back in.

this is not something new, this leak surfaced in june 2018, and by a reddit user, but my new favorite vlogger says it matches up with what his source told him beat by beat around the same time.

obviously this is an early story idea that has since been tweaked, added to, etc. but it's interesting to see how stupid these writers can be.

but everything i post below (the early storyboard, and in recent times, new added in scenes/stories), you tell me if that sounds like a bomb or a good movie that'll re-invigorate the fanbase.....

----

early storyboard for ep9, wow what a putrid story....

the whole movie will paint the resistance as the democrats, and kylo as trump, the first order as the republicans. lots of subtle imagery/names/details. eg, the entire ST already, the Resistance is colored blue like the democrats whereas in the OT, the Rebels were always red. The name resistance too is based on the democratic slogan at the time of resistance to trump's campaign prior to the election. Remember, that all doesnt make any sense anyway, given that after the Empire was defeated, the standing power is the New Republic, so there's no resistance/rebellion.

anyway....

ep9 plot "a" is kylo is a benevolent leader, all are prospering. however, the resistance dont buy it and get intel that out in the unknown regions is a whole planet being enslaved literally like the matrix in an underocean world, the whole planet being used to manufacture the first order's war machine. rey/etc go out to the unknown regions to save a girl who is the key to unraveling all this. after they save her and free the planet from bondage, the entire unknown region of new alien creatures unite with the resistance to lead an all out war against kylo and the first order.

ep9 plot "b" is kylo with the knights of ren hunting down force users and killing them off. but also him trying to track down the mole in his organization. turns out the mole is hux, who is trying to usurp kylo.

rey and kylo thruout the film are very much in love, and still force skyping, indeed, even able to appear before each other physically across the galaxy. rey is training a new school of students, and one big reveal at the end is that one of these students is really rey's child. this enrages kylo....because he's not the dad?....or.....she kept it secret from him?.....and kylo nearly force chokes her to death, but leia saves the day, wielding either a lightsaber of her own and fighting kylo, or using some force power herself.

----

in recent times, this vlogger has elaborated on the most current story, various details. like how disney wanted to find a way to tie in how luke's lightsaber was found in the first place, and many other mysteries from ep7. so one method that was devised...which has since proven to be true, was that they decided on hiring billy dee williams to reprise the Lando role, so that he can be the bridge between cloud city and maz.

a lot of early scenes showing how the lightsaber got from cloud city to maz....hence leaked scenes like maz hiding in the hills whilst kylo from a flashback kills villagers harboring the lightsaber, maz flees with it....etc.

recent news is how there IS a whole new alien race from the unknown regions who wage war against the FO, and who are enslaved in an underocean world....turned out true.

a female child who looks like rey was cast a while back now, speculated to be for flashback of rey as child, but turns out this child is doing scenes WITH daisy and adam driver.....turned out true then.

disney trying to get harrison ford back from the dead, to boost a flagging franchise, either time travel or deleted scenes/rotoscoping....vlogger reported this in june 2018, and ONLY about a week or so ago it finally started leaking from others around the net.....so there must be truth here.

vlogger said disney are jumping the shark badly fearing this movie is gonna bomb, so resorting to cameos and callbacks after cameos and callbacks of many PT/OT characters to try to get fans excited.

gonna be a lot of force ghost luke, where he's like TLJ yoda, able to physically interact with rey, etc. but speculation he's not actually dead, as there's no blue light around luke, that in TLJ he was using a force projection of a force projection when confronting kylo, and the one that disappeared on ahch-to was just a force projection. this is disney's way of trying to course correct, give fans what they wanted of luke being bad ass, having a major role, etc.

reunion scenes with luke, leia and han.

the same technology that was used on kurt russell in some recent movie to make him look as young as he did in the 80s....will be used on luke, so that we see either flashback scenes of younger luke, or whatever.

kylo's throne will be in mustafa, vader's castle.

hayden christiansen reprising his role as anakin. except it'll be a tormented force ghost anakin. half his face blue and of hayden, the other half red and all mangled/skeletal like vader in red light. avoiding breaking continuity with SW, by having anakin's force ghost tormented again seeing kylo and what he's doing.

rey's real name will be revealed in the movie. RJ had easter egged in the mirror scene that she is told "luke is your uncle", but disney gonna have a problem on their hands trying to sweep that away whilst fostering a reylo relationship and possible child.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
It actually seems somewhat interesting, it’s a shame the foundation already poor though.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
another thing i heard from a couple different places is.... the knights of ren number say six people, chances are half or all of them are actually females. and perhaps that mara character is one of them, as she is rumored to wield a lightsaber/weapon, and all the KoR are force users who wield various weapons and lightsabers. So KoR when wearing masks will be male stunt guys, but there'll be scenes where they take off their masks, or some of them do, and we see they're females.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Watching more of that dude's videos, he speaks a lot about not just Disney but all other movie studios and related partners, how there's a huge leftist move to put SJWism into every movie and TV show, lots of democratic political agendas/messages, so many movies getting ruined....Terminator, Godzilla, Star Trek, etc, so many changes made to stories, ideas, scripts, casting, titles of shows, remaking of old classic shows/movies etc. Many consumers are starting to fight back, it's a culture war, all the money the studios are pumping into these shows and toys etc are causing the studios to bleed financially, in strife, even NFL and many other bodies....there's just far too much politics, the whole escapism and entertainment thing gone. He also explains how so many studios and big entities are filled with leftist millenials who got jobs due to nepotism and affiliation with sorority houses etc, how if your leftist leaning or part of the woke world then you'll get hired over legitimately talented people who arent. For instance, how Chuck Windig got to write those books when he was a nobody, and he himself personally knew many acclaimed novelists who went for the same job but got rejected simply for political views, or their stories not being woke enough. Eventually Disney terminated Windig, and he reckons maybe Disney could look to redress the errors they've made like this by moving away from SJWism once Ep9 is over, get rid of KK, and all her cronies in LF, get Zahn to rewrite the post-Endor EU story, move Windig's Aftermath to Legends. Talks about how LF is divided, many KK cronies vs Filoni siders, and he reported this months before it came out -- that Disney would hire Filoni to direct an episode of the Mandalorian as a test because they are leaning toward eventually giving him more say in SW.

And as another video I posted which you all really should watch, from another person, who goes into length the whys and hows about what's going on behind closed doors. That Disney did not publicly endorse KK despite extending her contract, how all KK SW projects were put on indefinite hold and/or canceled, because it's a typical way that big companies/studios get rid of those bosses, clean slate, for someone new to come in. Basically, once Ep9 releases if it bombs they can't blame the new boss of LF because they were saddled with the mess from the previous boss. So what they do is hold everything, make a non-publicized extension of a boss's contract, let the movie come out, and then clean slate, give the old boss a graceful way to leave (family reasons, move on to other opportunities, etc), then bring on the new boss whose hire is geared toward re-invigorating the consumer faith.

See if i can find that video again...worth the watch...
Man in movie equals fun escapism, woman in lead equals SJW conspiracy. Am I doing it right? The only people pursuing a culture war are nutters like that guy that see any evening of the ledger as an attack on their status in the world. Not one of his ideas sound plausible, not moving Aftermath to Legends, not re-signing KK because they actually want her gone, not a Hollywood-wide conspiracy to put SJW into films. You’ve got a live one there GG.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
In this video below......he details that the film isn't full of flashbacks....instead, Kylo Ren has a specific new force power that no one has ever had before, and what it is is Kylo Ren can go back in time and view anything....he can see young anakin in TPM, he can see Anakin choking Padme, he can go back to the clone wars, he can travel at any time and view events. He can't change the past, he can barely interact, like picking up a relic from the past, but can essentially only view events.

So there's a LOT of these scenes all to do with Kylo. He can touch a necklace that belongs to Padme and go into this flashback mode where he sees Padme lying in the coffin with the Necklace, etc type of thing.

Rey has a nightmare, where she sees all these Siths in a forest. But that's a bad dream. Vlogger man says all this is jumping the shark, filling it with nostalgia instead of telling a good story.

Also, it's possible to do reunion scenes with Leia/Luke/Han because during TFA Abrams shot millions of scenes with all three, together and separately, that they never used, not deleted scenes, but just tons of takes and extra scenes that were never used. So that's how Han could be coming back, same way Carrie Fisher is being rotoscoped, etc.

Says Ewan McGregor is returning to play force ghost Obi-Wan.

Also says, something that JJ will keep from TLJ is how Rey and Kylo are so powerful that the Force makes Force Ghosts even more powerful to counteract the effect. So Yoda, Obi, Anakin, Luke, will all be Yoda-like in TLJ. Especially Luke anyway....he features in Ep9 a lot as an ultra-powerful force ghost able to physically interact, fight with a lightsaber, call on acts of god, etc.

Says Disney is bleeding badly over SW....they're raising the prices on EVERYTHING across the board.

There's a Task Force Review Board inside Disney, chaired with Abrams, Iger, and others, that aims to fix TLJ, that's anti-KK, that has ceased funding anything LF asks for, unless it comes from Filoni directly....this board has been tasked to do everything in their creative/administrative power to correct Ep8. How initially Abrams wanted to make Ep8 purely a bad dream, where ep9 would start with Luke waking up from that, where Luke now knows what COULD happen because he saw it in the dream, and does it differently, so ep9 part 1 would be ep8 re-lived, then ep9 part 2 would finish off the trilogy. But the Review Board/Iger rejected that idea early, but have passed a lot of components to course correct that will be seen in ep9.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Man in movie equals fun escapism, woman in lead equals SJW conspiracy. Am I doing it right? The only people pursuing a culture war are nutters like that guy that see any evening of the ledger as an attack on their status in the world. Not one of his ideas sound plausible, not moving Aftermath to Legends, not re-signing KK because they actually want her gone, not a Hollywood wife conspiracy to put SJW into films. You’ve got a live one there GG.

His source is saying that Disney and LF are divided with much antagonism inside, old school creative people and execs fighting the younger woke set, over a range of things. This whole PC/Woke thing is divisive in the real world, in schools, workplaces, in politics, on the street, etc, so why wouldn't it also be a very real divisive fight going on inside movie studios? You ought to be smarter than to dismiss the notion that real world stuff happens inside companies too.

For instance, his source told him how the day Kasdan jr posted on twitter that Lando is pansexual, that all hell broke loose in Disney, where Iger/execs were tearing shreds into Kasdan, KK, and LF, face to face, over all this nonsense. Much arguing, yelling between the two groups. This was well before the movie released, making it even harder for Solo to turn a buck.

His source also says, a lot of people in LF know they're jobs are up once Ep9 releases, because KK will be pushed on, and all her underlings, in upper middle and lower management will be booted, they'll clean house. So a lot of other rumors and leaks are coming directly from LF because these people don't care anymore, don't want ep9 to succeed.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
It’s not about using this trilogy as filler, but it is about creating a universe that exists beyond the Empire/Rebellion, Jedi/Sith, Skywalkers at the same time as concluding the saga. He laid the groundwork for that far more successfully than JJ. I do agree with the first point, in that they didn’t need to preserve the Jedi texts. But I don’t see the contradiction in saying the old Jedi ways must end but someone can continue the Jedi by being willing to lead people in a new direction. Luke has been advised by Yoda that failing didn’t mean throwing everything in the bin, it was about learning from those mistakes. Luke is growing by recognising Rey is the new generation of Jedi.

Disney have made $5b from four movies, plus it’s making Star Wars land, propping up its streaming service; you’ll be waiting a while for them to lose money on this deal.

Jack you seem to place a lot of emphasis on things being set up for future films. That’s why I mention it shouldn’t be done at the expense of the current trilogy, which it very much seems to be if their main premise is to move on from the Skywalkers.

Secondly, you also place a lot of significance on Yoda’s chat with Luke about failure. If that’s all that was necessary for Luke to snap out of his mood and “grow”, it raises the question as to why didn’t Yoda have this chat with him before?

Seems a bit ridiculous that all it took was a Yoda pep talk for him to check himself back in and make a difference. A few billion people died in the meantime.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Jack really hangs hard on that one scene with Yoda that is ultimately meaningless, but ignores the scene with Rey and Kylo that changes the course of the movie significantly from what it could have been to the same old s**t we've seen before.

Sent from mTalk

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Jack you seem to place a lot of emphasis on things being set up for future films. That’s why I mention it shouldn’t be done at the expense of the current trilogy, which it very much seems to be if their main premise is to move on from the Skywalkers.

Secondly, you also place a lot of significance on Yoda’s chat with Luke about failure. If that’s all that was necessary for Luke to snap out of his mood and “grow”, it raises the question as to why didn’t Yoda have this chat with him before?

Seems a bit ridiculous that all it took was a Yoda pep talk for him to check himself back in and make a difference. A few billion people died in the meantime.
I'm enjoying the trilogy in its own right, but I'm aware that Lucasfilm will be making many more movies, which is why it's also important to set up the universe. As a fan I want more movies, I want more TV series, I'm happy to see them put out more even though this means the likelihood they make something I don't like increases.

As for the Yoda chat, perhaps it required the rise of Rey to show Luke that it doesn't have to be a never ending cycle of Jedi/Sith.

Jack really hangs hard on that one scene with Yoda that is ultimately meaningless, but ignores the scene with Rey and Kylo that changes the course of the movie significantly from what it could have been to the same old s**t we've seen before.

Sent from mTalk
If you think that scene is meaningless, no wonder you don't like the film. It's not meaningless though, it's fundamental.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I'm enjoying the trilogy in its own right, but I'm aware that Lucasfilm will be making many more movies, which is why it's also important to set up the universe. As a fan I want more movies, I want more TV series, I'm happy to see them put out more even though this means the likelihood they make something I don't like increases.

As for the Yoda chat, perhaps it required the rise of Rey to show Luke that it doesn't have to be a never ending cycle of Jedi/Sith.

If you think that scene is meaningless, no wonder you don't like the film. It's not meaningless though, it's fundamental.

The unviverse has been established for 40+ years. Not sure why it’s so important that it’s set up in this trilogy, especially with 2 films jammed back to back covering a week or so of the timeline.

As for the never ending cycle of a Jedi and Sith, that’s essentially what we’ve ended up with at the end of TLJ. A Sith-style leader of the Empire, and the last Jedi who is custodian of the ancient teachings of the Jedi.

This movie is consistently inconsistent.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
The unviverse has been established for 40+ years. Not sure why it’s so important that it’s set up in this trilogy, especially with 2 films jammed back to back covering a week or so of the timeline.

As for the never ending cycle of a Jedi and Sith, that’s essentially what we’ve ended up with at the end of TLJ. A Sith-style leader of the Empire, and the last Jedi who is custodian of the ancient teachings of the Jedi.

This movie is consistently inconsistent.
Star Wars has existed for 40+ years within a very narrow filmic framework of Jedi/Sith, Empire/Rebellion and the Skywalkers. Even the novels spent the first 10 years stuck in the same cycle before realising the potential for more expansive storytelling. TLJ laid the framework for moving beyond all that with Luke removing himself from the equation, Rey not being connected the Skywalkers or the Jedi Order (the books themselves are just texts on the Force, they don't necessarily relate to the Order Luke decided needed to end) and the random boy at the end using the Force. It's now incumbent on JJ to take it where it needs to go, which is Kylo being defeated, thus ending the Skywalkers' hold on the Force, Rey being her own Jedi, and people able to use the Force without being part of any Jedi/Sith order.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Star Wars has existed for 40+ years within a very narrow filmic framework of Jedi/Sith, Empire/Rebellion and the Skywalkers. Even the novels spent the first 10 years stuck in the same cycle before realising the potential for more expansive storytelling. TLJ laid the framework for moving beyond all that with Luke removing himself from the equation, Rey not being connected the Skywalkers or the Jedi Order (the books themselves are just texts on the Force, they don't necessarily relate to the Order Luke decided needed to end) and the random boy at the end using the Force. It's now incumbent on JJ to take it where it needs to go, which is Kylo being defeated, thus ending the Skywalkers' hold on the Force, Rey being her own Jedi, and people able to use the Force without being part of any Jedi/Sith order.

The Skywalkers don’t really have a hold on the force as such. I’ll say though that your outline above does have merit and would be an interesting concept to explore.

It certainly could be achieved without having to come at the cost of Luke for example. Also, it would’ve been better if the texts themselves were actually destroyed in that fire. Having the glimpse of them at the end in Rey’s possession is contradictory to the message you’re relaying above.

If the old ways of the Jedi are no longer applicable, then fine. Do away with them. But to then go to such lengths to explain why the are outdated, but to then have the very same teachings bestowed to the last remaining Jedi, is contradictory.

As I said, RJ has perhaps already squibbed on his own concept.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
The Skywalkers don’t really have a hold on the force as such. I’ll say though that your outline above does have merit and would be an interesting concept to explore.

It certainly could be achieved without having to come at the cost of Luke for example. Also, it would’ve been better if the texts themselves were actually destroyed in that fire. Having the glimpse of them at the end in Rey’s possession is contradictory to the message you’re relaying above.

If the old ways of the Jedi are no longer applicable, then fine. Do away with them. But to then go to such lengths to explain why the are outdated, but to then have the very same teachings bestowed to the last remaining Jedi, is contradictory.

As I said, RJ has perhaps already squibbed on his own concept.
I hope that Rey retaining them is because they are as unimportant as Yoda implies; that it is just a ‘how-to’ of the Force and the Order itself remains in the past. Or that Luke goes on to say there is nothing more to be learnt from them but a historical curiosity. But I agree, destroying the texts would have been more unequivocal and I would have preferred it.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I hope that Rey retaining them is because they are as unimportant as Yoda implies; that it is just a ‘how-to’ of the Force and the Order itself remains in the past. Or that Luke goes on to say there is nothing more to be learnt from them but a historical curiosity. But I agree, destroying the texts would have been more unequivocal and I would have preferred it.

It’s perhaps an example of his obsession for subversion coming at the expense of quality storytelling.

It was explained numerous times why the old ways are no longer relevant. Why the texts aren’t needed. A dramatic scene to show the tree being burnt down. The audience presume the texts are in fact in the fire, and are being discarded.

Then boom. Fooled you! Subversion time. The books are safe and sound with Rey.

Needless and unnecessary, and dilutes the story supposedly being told.

Back