Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How has he been thrown under a bus?
"Once in a generation talent", weve set the kid up to fail. Hes about to come into the worst test side weve had in over 30 years with a trip to England to come. Hes also had his troubles with mental health, it should be the last thing we are doing.

nothing to do with cricket but this headline grabbed my attention in this mornings portvertiser
View attachment 604086

He is a great guy, very humble. Got to know him at my gym, trains hard and religiously. Genuinely hope the best for this South Aussie.

He is a great guy, very humble. Got to know him at my gym, trains hard and religiously. Genuinely hope the best for this South Aussie.
Certainly a better representative of Australian men's tennis than the other 2 spoilt brats.

Certainly a better representative of Australian men's tennis than the other 2 spoilt brats.

He genuinely is the kind of guy you could go up to and say hello and get a polite sincere response.

Actually when I first met him, I didnt know who he was. :drunk:

You mean the guy who isn’t currently being considered for Davis Cup because he sulked and wouldn’t appear courtside to support his fellow countrymen when Hewitt picked Millman over him based on their practice form?

Granted that Tomic is a tanking knob and Kyrgios has massive mental demons, but the Kokk still is not what I’d call a great representative for Aussie tennis.

Good to see the one-dayer is not on FTA today. Great job by Cricket Australia to sign a media deal that minimises their exposure to the general public when there are no other big sports to compete against. Then again, based on Australia’s current form, it’s probably for the best if as few people as possible see them play! :D

Just did a Google search and discovered that all ODIs and International T20s (not including the World Cups) will only be shown on Foxtel for the next 6 years. I have a feeling that this will be looked back in hindsight as a terrible deal for Australian cricket as they suffer from lack of exposure and media coverage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just did a Google search and discovered that all ODIs and International T20s (not including the World Cups) will only be shown on Foxtel for the next 6 years. I have a feeling that this will be looked back in hindsight as a terrible deal for Australian cricket as they suffer from lack of exposure and media coverage.

The deal would've been settled prior to Sandpapergate. They'd be severely regretting their decision now.

It's an absolute tragedy. Geoff Lemon's book goes into more detail as to what might have been. Had tried to link this in my earlier post, but the reddit link seemed to break.

The Seven deal was a prime example of CA’s general air of disregard for those they deal with. They were obsessed with topping a billion dollars to stand alongside the AFL and NRL. How to get there wasn’t important. Nine was the stale old-school partner. Network Ten had done the game a service, growing the Big Bash from a joke fluorescent league that no one could watch on pay TV to a summer staple in a world that accepted ‘the Brisbane Heat’ as a reasonable concept. People found a new presentation refreshing, it was free to air, and the viewer average jumped from 236,000 a night to nearly a million on Ten. Now the BBL was successful, CA wanted every dollar back.

Nine and Ten offered a joint deal. Amarfio met them for less than fifteen minutes and dismissed it as ‘non-compliant’. Peever asked Ten’s American owner CBS not to ‘include local management as I feel they are not prepared to challenge their operating model to be anything other than bottom feeders’. All totally normal and professional.

Ten went all in: $960 million for the lot. Their secondary channels would broadcast men’s and women’s Big Bash, domestic one-dayers, even the white elephant Sheffield Shield. It could have been an amazing coup for cricket. But you may have noticed that 960 million is less than a billion. So CA signed all the valuable games to Foxtel, as long as a free-to-air partner would simulcast Tests and some BBL.

Ten was told this was now all they could bid for. They offered $80 million a year and Sutherland shook on it. Then Seven was allowed another bid, worth $82 million. The network that had revitalised cricket broadcasting and made CA’s risky Big Bash gamble a winner was punted over comparative pocket change. Sutherland made an appearance with the victorious network heads, the three of them trying to manage various bits of cricket gear in a photo as awkward as David Cameron posing with a pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back