1st ODI | Australia vs India @ SCG (13:20 local)

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Who is an Australian quality opener for the one day side in your opinion?

Darcy Short was the leading scorer in the JLT series, I think you could have opened with him and one of Marsh or Khawaja and then alternated attacking and pragmatic bats. I think Finch could have come in in the middle order against the spinners with less pressure and more freedom.

Something like

Short
Khawaja
Marsh
Maxwell
Carey
Finch
Stoinis

I also think a batting line up should be fluid. If we are 2-180 after 35 overs I'd send in Stoinis or Finch over Carey. If we are 2-25 Carey can play as an anchor.

Also Matthew Wades form this year means he is unlucky not to be in with a shout as the OD keeper

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
This has been one of the more frustrating discussions I've ever had on here. Carey was irrelevant to what I was posting about but you and the other bloke chose to make it the focus.
You came in here sooking about the batting lineup and mentioned Carey, Marsh and Handscomb and why he is batting above Maxwell. You said Carey wasnt an opener and that he is a keeper - I disagreed - his keeping has nothing to do with where he bats. Then you dont have a problem with him opening. You flip and change your opinions every post.

I respectfully disagreed with you about Carey's position. Same goes for Khawaja and Marsh. Id have them batting above Maxwell if they are all selected in the same side. Questions regarding their selections is an entirely different argument.

I agreed with you that Maxwell is too low at 7 for me.

I was never patronising you. I was never condescending. You've just been throwing a tanty the past few pages.

As I said, I'm done. Clueless.

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Darcy Short was the leading scorer in the JLT series, I think you could have opened with him and one of Marsh or Khawaja and then alternated attacking and pragmatic bats. I think Finch could have come in in the middle order against the spinners with less pressure and more freedom.

Something like

Short
Khawaja
Marsh
Maxwell
Carey
Finch
Stoinis

I also think a batting line up should be fluid. If we are 2-180 after 35 overs I'd send in Stoinis or Finch over Carey. If we are 2-25 Carey can play as an anchor.

Also Matthew Wades form this year means he is unlucky not to be in with a shout as the OD keeper
You're arguing different things ! Cant you see this?

You're arguing team selection. Thats a completely different argument. You originally started discussing the batting order for this match.

My god.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Usman and Marsh are boring batsmen to watch, but do hope they stay in for a while to least bank a few wickets for the remaining 10 overs at the absolute worst.

I reckon Marsh is a lovely batsman to watch when he's on song.

It's part of the reason the selectors are so seduced by him imo.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
This is ridiculous. We’ve got a 4.5 run rate after losing both our openers. We’ve played 16 overs, what do you want them to do? Build into some form slowly or bash a few sixes around the hole out to long on?

Sorry. To clarify, Finch, Carey, Stoinis and Maxwell are all very exciting players to watch. I am not hoping to see a wicket fall simply because Uzzie and Smarsh are in. They are doing a fine job with the run rate as you mentioned. They are just a tad more methodical in how they go about as opposed to those players i previously mentioned. Only mentioning they are boring short form players in regards to the entertainment value the others would potentially provide.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I watched an awful lot of him bat being a NSW supporter and he is far too lazy as a cricketer.

Agreed, he is last with his foot movement, he often just hangs his bat outside off stump and pushes at the ball or slashes at one with all wrists. I don't think he's made the most of his career so far

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
You're arguing different things ! Cant you see this?

You're arguing team selection. Thats a completely different argument. You originally started discussing the batting order for this match.

My god.

No that's what you thought I was talking about.

Agreed, he is last with his foot movement, he often just hangs his bat outside off stump and pushes at the ball or slashes at one with all wrists. I don't think he's made the most of his career so far
Yep, which is why I used the word laconic.

Oct 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Liverpool, Cardinals

He needs to improve his running between the wickets as well. Turning 2's into singles by taking the first run too slowly

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
He needs to improve his running between the wickets as well. Turning 2's into singles by taking the first run too slowly

Yeah these guys should watch some tapes of Michale Beven and Hussey. Absolute masters of scoring at 4-6 an over without taking any risks by nudging the ball for 2s and 3s. Seems like our guys only have 4s and shots that didn't make it for 4

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
No that's what you thought I was talking about.
You're 1st, 2nd and 3rd posts in this thread today - all about batting order.

Why the **** are Alex Carey, Usman Khawaja and Peter Handscomb coming in before Glenn Maxwell in coloured cricket
Not what I said. What have Carey Khawaja and Handscomb ever done to get a spot above him in one day cricket
Um Carey is a bloody wicket keeper not an opener.
I'd have Maxwell batting 4 or at the lowest 5. 7 is ridicolous

:drunk::drunk:

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
You 1st, 2nd and 3rd posts in this thread today - all about batting order.

:drunk::drunk:

Not an opener for Australia. I've clarified this already child

So now that I've clarified what I said would you like to move on or keep bringing up something from pages a go

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Getting to the point where Khawaja needs a Rohit Sharma-esque super surge in his scoring to make up for this, can see him pulling a Peter Forrest and scoring a ton at a match losing SR.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
We're not that good so we're playing conservatively.

Going at 4.5 an over for the first 40 probably won't get the job done that often, but that's where we're at I reckon.

Back