Grand Slam Australian Open 2019

Who will win?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we make a Day 1 Aus Open thread.....

Not sure why Julia Goerges v Collins is on MCA. Indeed, that is a shocking first 2 games. You would want to watch Alex.

I don't mind Fed at night this match day. Defending champs on the first night. Seems right.

I am a huge fan of womens tennis. But i hope they don't always go 2 WTA, 1 ATP on the main courts. If you going to rid of advantage sets, then there is no huge reason to not have 2 mens matches if the schedule demands it. And if Juila Goerges is a top 5 WTA match, then perhaps they could have an ATP match on there instead.

I am a huge fan of womens tennis. But i hope they don't always go 2 WTA, 1 ATP on the main courts. If you going to rid of advantage sets, then there is no huge reason to not have 2 mens matches if the schedule demands it. And if Juila Goerges is a top 5 WTA match, then perhaps they could have an ATP match on there instead.

It’s been the way for a little while, at least 12 months. It’s a joke. I don’t particularly want to be forced to watch 1 men’s match and 2 women’s anytime I go.

But my solution probably isn’t supported by many. I have long advocated for men to only play best-of-3 in Week 1, kind of like you have to earn the right by going deep to play a best-of-5 match. It’s the only way for men and women to play equal sets, clearly the idiots that run tennis will never make women play best-of-5, especially in the early rounds, so the alternative is to drop the men back to best-of-3. That would greatly help with Week 1 scheduling and fatigue over a long year.

A day pass for RLA/MCA in Week 1 is a waste of money.

Day 2 OOP
#AusOpen Day 2 main court schedule:

RLA ☀️
🇦🇺 Destanee Aiava
🇺🇸 Madison Keys

🇩🇪 Tatjana Maria
🇺🇸 Serena Williams

🇩🇪 Alexander Zverev
🇸🇮 Aljaž Bedene

RLA 🌙
🇷🇸 Novak Djokovic
🇺🇸 Mitchell Krueger

🇯🇵 Naomi Osaka
🇵🇱 Magda Linette

MCA ☀️
🇯🇵 Kei Nishikori
🇵🇱 Kamil Majchrzak

🇦🇺 Daria Gavrilova
🇸🇮 Tamara Zidanšek

🇺🇸 Venus Williams
🇷🇴 Mihaela Buzărnescu

MCA 🌙
🇷🇴 Simona Halep
🇪🇪 Kaia Kanepi

🇫🇷 Benoit Paire
🇦🇹 Dominic Thiem

MA ☀️
🇨🇿 Karolina Pliskova
🇨🇿 Karolína Muchová

🇭🇷 Borna Coric
🇧🇪 Steve Darcis

🇩🇪 Laura Siegemund
🇧🇾 Victoria Azarenka

🇦🇺 Samantha Stosur
🇺🇦 Dayana Yastremska

MA 🌙
🇦🇺 Nick Kyrgios
🇨🇦 Milos Raonic
(not before 7pm)

Day 2 OOP
#AusOpen Day 2 main court schedule:

RLA
🇦🇺 Destanee Aiava
🇺🇸 Madison Keys

🇩🇪 Tatjana Maria
🇺🇸 Serena Williams

🇩🇪 Alexander Zverev
🇸🇮 Aljaž Bedene

RLA
🇷🇸 Novak Djokovic
🇺🇸 Mitchell Krueger

🇯🇵 Naomi Osaka
🇵🇱 Magda Linette

MCA
🇯🇵 Kei Nishikori
🇵🇱 Kamil Majchrzak

🇦🇺 Daria Gavrilova
🇸🇮 Tamara Zidanšek

🇺🇸 Venus Williams
🇷🇴 Mihaela Buzărnescu

MCA
🇷🇴 Simona Halep
🇪🇪 Kaia Kanepi

🇫🇷 Benoit Paire
🇦🇹 Dominic Thiem

MA
🇨🇿 Karolina Pliskova
🇨🇿 Karolína Muchová

🇭🇷 Borna Coric
🇧🇪 Steve Darcis

🇩🇪 Laura Siegemund
🇧🇾 Victoria Azarenka

🇦🇺 Samantha Stosur
🇺🇦 Dayana Yastremska

MA
🇦🇺 Nick Kyrgios
🇨🇦 Milos Raonic
(not before 7pm)
Wow another 5 matches on Melbourne Arena. Trying to limit the break between the 4th match and the NB 7 match. Last year with 4 there was a 2-3 hour wait on the Wednesday.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also has Court 2 been renamed 1573 arena?
Yep, after some Chinese alcohol brand that must have thrown a bit of cash for the naming rights.

I heard a rumour some Indian billionaire was trying to have it called the Jai Singh Arena.

He's having to play 2 matches in the humid sydney heat today and the ******* dumb ao organisers schedule him for 3pm in the middle of the 37 degree day heat. It's bullshit. Put him on last on either mca or Melbourne arena.

It's ridiculous. And millman on court 7? The 2nd highest ranked aussie. Just insane.
I know in the past the Aussie players were allowed to request when and what court they wanted to play on.

Looks like the organisers don’t allow that anymore. Instead they pamper to one player who isn’t allowed to play during the day in more than 28 degree heat for fear of fatigue.

He's having to play 2 matches in the humid sydney heat today and the ******* dumb ao organisers schedule him for 3pm in the middle of the 37 degree day heat. It's bullshit. Put him on last on either mca or Melbourne arena.

It's ridiculous. And millman on court 7? The 2nd highest ranked aussie. Just insane.

But what can you do? You can't delay the match till Tuesday. When he would have to play 2 matches in 2 days anyway, and it is unfair for his opponent. Change what side of the draw plays when? the draw is released on Thursday, and we all wanted to know what side was playing when. plus we don't know who is the finalists.

There are only 4-5 night matches at the Australian Open. And what is fair to Alex must be fair for Sofia, Petra, Tennys etc. Of course, Alex has had the harshest workload and you can make a case that this is a special circumstance. Playing them all as late as possible is the best solution as you say. I honestly think the AO should take advantage of the summer weather and have more night matches on the outside courts. Have matches not starting before 6pm.

But at least he is not playing first up on RLA.

There are only 4-5 night matches at the Australian Open. And what is fair to Alex must be fair for .

But at least he is not playing first up on RLA.
The difference between all the players you mentioned and alex is that he has had to play 2 matches today, in the sydney heat. They could have scheduled him in any of the night slots ononday night except for rla. Easily. Or first on one of the main courts. He is on in the middle of the day! Just as Melbourne will reach its maximum temperature.

Back