Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks all, plan is to do a few lessons, practice a bit on the range and get some good fundamentals before I go out embarrass myself on a course shooting 10s every hole.

We've all been there mate. Dont worry, do you have mates who play? If so, ask to have a round with them just at the local and have fun. Gottta start somewhere. Hell, Im playing like dog poo right now with club champs fast approacjhing!!

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thanks all, plan is to do a few lessons, practice a bit on the range and get some good fundamentals before I go out embarrass myself on a course shooting 10s every hole.
Don't let your current game prevent you from having a round with mates. One of the best ways to learn is on the course. At the range you're hitting off a flat lie/mats aiming at a sign. At least on the course you'll get a taste of everything and it's a great way to spend a few hours with mates who'll be more than willing to give you some tips along the way.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
We've all been there mate. Dont worry, do you have mates who play? If so, ask to have a round with them just at the local and have fun. Gottta start somewhere. Hell, Im playing like dog poo right now with club champs fast approacjhing!!

Don't let your current game prevent you from having a round with mates. One of the best ways to learn is on the course. At the range you're hitting off a flat lie/mats aiming at a sign. At least on the course you'll get a taste of everything and it's a great way to spend a few hours with mates who'll be more than willing to give you some tips along the way.
Good thing is I have a heap of mates who play, one of my main reasons for wanting to get into it. There's a smallish public course near me too, Oakleigh, only 9 holes. Going to start there and hopefully when it's not too busy. Going to be rough first up but we gotta start somewhere!

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Another good way to learn is look for a 9 hole par 3 course; really dial in your irons and short game. You only really use the driver on probably 12-14 holes a round.

I've been binge watching the Meandmygolf channel on YouTube. So many good tips on there about grip, stance, and how to play every type of shot. (https://m.youtube.com/user/meandmygolf)

The main issue I'm having is with irons - my hands are releasing slightly early. My hands are even with the ball at impact and there's no divot after the ball

Doesnt need to be a divot. I know players who dont take divots. It just means a more sweeping motion. Its fine. I mean i dont, but sometimes i do with my driver!!! LOL!

spot on. it's like learning to drive. Only way to learn is by driving.

Good thing is I have a heap of mates who play, one of my main reasons for wanting to get into it. There's a smallish public course near me too, Oakleigh, only 9 holes. Going to start there and hopefully when it's not too busy. Going to be rough first up but we gotta start somewhere!

Ah oakleigh! Spent many a lunchtime there in my formative golfing years. Tight course. You're not gonna get nice lies or true roll on the green, but *, get out there and try! Try all your clubs, remember distance isnt everything.

Jun 29, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
This is good advice. In general no one cares how bad their playing partners are as long as they can keep up with the pace of play.

atlas1

Cancelled
Harry Potter Fan A Star Wars Fan
Nov 6, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Doesnt need to be a divot. I know players who dont take divots. It just means a more sweeping motion. Its fine. I mean i dont, but sometimes i do with my driver!!! LOL!

Yeah this makes sense, my swing arc is fairly flat and would definitely sweep it

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm a sweeper but wish I took more divots. IMO divots are important in the short irons and wedges, really get the spin up.

giphy.gif

Mojo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've been binge watching the Meandmygolf channel on YouTube. So many good tips on there about grip, stance, and how to play every type of shot. (https://m.youtube.com/user/meandmygolf)

The main issue I'm having is with irons - my hands are releasing slightly early. My hands are even with the ball at impact and there's no divot after the ball

Get onto Mark Crossfield, too - he's going from strength to strength.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
Went to the driving range yesterday after work, I hit my irons so much better. Im playing a round at Albert Park this afternoon, I decided to tee off with my 2 iron. I seem to get more distance but more importantly better control. Whatever works for me, right?

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Just taken it up

My driving and putting are good and improving but wat I am struggling with is the Irons on the fairways

I keep hitting it along the ground!

Any ideas on why this is?

Also can someone explain the numbers on the Irons and what they mean?

I appear to get airborne and distance with the 1 Iron

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just taken it up

My driving and putting are good and improving but wat I am struggling with is the Irons on the fairways

Sounds like you're hitting the ground before the ball. Without seeing your swing, I can't say too much but could be a weight transfer thing; 95% of your weight should be shifted to your front foot on the down swing while your hips start to turn toward the target and aim to hit the ground ~10-15cm in front of the ball. Let the club compress the ball into the ground and let the loft of the club to get the ball in the air.

Also, the biggest misconception is that people lift their heads. Truth is sometimes people lift their hips/shift hips forward in the down swing which causes hitting behind the ball or thinning it.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
No issue at all with a second hand set for $200-300, only problem is without experience I have no idea which sets are beginner friendly, or which are absolute junk being flogged off.
At least with the Strata its backed by plenty of recent reviews, that's the only reason I'm leaning toward it.
If you're comfortable with that set go for it. Golf is such a mental game that there is a bit of a placebo effect thing going on in that if you think the clubs will help you, they probably will.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Sounds like you're hitting the ground before the ball. Without seeing your swing, I can't say too much but could be a weight transfer thing; 95% of your weight should be shifted to your front foot on the down swing while your hips start to turn toward the target and aim to hit the ground ~10-15cm in front of the ball. Let the club compress the ball into the ground and the loft of the club to get the ball in the air.

Looking at a couple of YTube Vids I reckon I am swinging all the way through similar to when I drive; they are saying to basically swing and strike the ball rather than follow through

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
No issue at all with a second hand set for $200-300, only problem is without experience I have no idea which sets are beginner friendly, or which are absolute junk being flogged off.
At least with the Strata its backed by plenty of recent reviews, that's the only reason I'm leaning toward it.

Yep got a second hand set with cart, plenty of extra balls, tees etc for $160 on Gumtree

I did end up buying a $200 driver for Xmas as the driver was from the 1980’s..a Slazenger

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
If you're comfortable with that set go for it. Golf is such a mental game that there is a bit of a placebo effect thing going on in that if you think the clubs will help you, they probably will.

We are playing 9 holes as beginners.

I find that first 4 or 5 holes go well and then as I fatigue and lose concentration my game becomes a Dogs brekkie

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Yep got a second hand set with cart, plenty of extra balls, tees etc for $160 on Gumtree

I did end up buying a $200 driver for Xmas as the driver was from the 1980’s..a Slazenger
Part of my conspiracy theorist mind has little respect for golf manufacturer marketing. They're hardly going to come out and say that the 2019 clubs are the same as 2018 models, and subsequently every year for the previous 20. Persimmon (wood) drivers are actually very long and very compatible to the latest drivers except that off centre hits aren't as long.
The 1971 Aust. Open was played at Royal Hobart and was won by Nicklaus. There's an hours footage on YouTube. Seeing where his drives went, he would still be one of the longest drivers at the club, easily clearing 300 yards.
He played MacGregor blades which would still hold their own against modern clubs. Shafts and balls have improved massively. Putters have improved their weight distribution. Wedges have probably improved in their groove cutting.
But irons? Im not such a believer that irons are really going to 'help'. IMO everyone should play blades or close to it. They give the best feedback on poor shots and in the long-term will 'help' your game more than other irons. Get the right shaft and shaft length on an old set of Hogans, Mizuno or MacGregor blades and you really can't go wrong.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
We are playing 9 holes as beginners.

I find that first 4 or 5 holes go well and then as I fatigue and lose concentration my game becomes a Dogs brekkie
Everyone does this, don't worry.
Two things, routine is important and can help with this. Grip, stance, ball position etc need to be focused on for every shot.
2nd is don't try and immediately make up for a bad shot. Much like a gambler chasing their losses. If you hit a bad tee shot, hit out onto the fairway (never go for the hero shot, the low 3 iron under the tree that fades and somehow goes over the bunker and stops on a dime), go through your routine and hit a good 3rd shot. Get on the green and LEAVE YOURSELF A PAR PUTT. You might make it. You probably won't but walking off with a bogey 5 is a good outcome generally. That 3 iron may have got you a 4 but in all likelihood would have got you a 6 or higher.

Just taken it up

Hard to say why your balls are skimming the ground. Which club are you using? 3 or 4 iron dont get much loft. Given you're just starting hitting along the ground is natural. The concept of hitting ball then ground is foreign. Takes time.

Numbers on irons.

Higher the number, the more loft. All things being equal, a 9 will not go further than an 8 as it launches the ball on a steeper angle. The ball spends more time going "up" with a 9 iron, whereas say a 5 iron gets more distance but less loft.
Next time you are at golf, hold the 9 iron and look down. You can see plenty of the club face. THen take a 5 iron. Less loft and you cant see as much of the face.

Distance also determined by club. let's say all things being equal again.

SW - 90m
PW - 100m
9 iron - 120m
8 iron - 130m
7 iron - 140m
6 iron - 150m
5 iron - 160m

As a general rule the difference between clubs is say 10m.

Hope that helps

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Hard to say why your balls are skimming the ground. Which club are you using? 3 or 4 iron dont get much loft. Given you're just starting hitting along the ground is natural. The concept of hitting ball then ground is foreign. Takes time.

Numbers on irons.

Higher the number, the more loft. All things being equal, a 9 will not go further than an 8 as it launches the ball on a steeper angle. The ball spends more time going "up" with a 9 iron, whereas say a 5 iron gets more distance but less loft.
Next time you are at golf, hold the 9 iron and look down. You can see plenty of the club face. THen take a 5 iron. Less loft and you cant see as much of the face.

Distance also determined by club. let's say all things being equal again.

SW - 90m
PW - 100m
9 iron - 120m
8 iron - 130m
7 iron - 140m
6 iron - 150m
5 iron - 160m

As a general rule the difference between clubs is say 10m.

Hope that helps

Legend

Remove this Banner Ad

Back