Is the Dogs Prelim the Greatest Moment in history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Men dropped to their knees and cried in the streets. Women considered putting down their mobile phones to enjoy the greatest moment in history...then decided to continue scrolling aimlessly through Facebook. Those Children who watched the game instantly turned into adults and they, they are the ones who will lead this country to victory

Probably the happiest I've ever been.

The fact it happened at Spotless against GWS made it so so special. We knew we were carrying a bunch of players whose fitness was suspect. They were the ultimate hometown bullies. They were faster than us, bigger than us, and more skilled than us. There were about 20 times during that game it looked like the floodgates were about to open for GWS. We could have easily walked away having lost by 10 goals. I still can't quite believe we did it. It was the ultimate victory of heart over..... well, everything else. Add to that the fact I truly loathe the GWS brats, and deeply deeply hope they end this period of their existence without a premiership.

I was obviously over the moon with the Premiership a week later. But I found it hard to hate the Swans - I admired so many players in that team. And the GF was in our home state. To me, it just doesn't compare.

Last edited:
Probably the happiest I've ever been.

The fact it happened at Spotless against GWS made it so so special. We knew we were carrying a bunch of players whose fitness was suspect. They were the ultimate hometown bullies. They were faster than us, bigger than us, and more skilled than us. There were about 20 times during that game it looked like the floodgates were about to open for GWS. We could have easily walked away having lost by 10 goals. I still can't quite believe we did it. It was the ultimate victory of heart over..... well, everything else. Add to that the fact I truly loathe the GWS brats, and deeply deeply hope they end this period of their existence without a premiership.

I was obviously over the moon with the Premiership a week later. But I found it hard to hate the Swans - I admired so many players in that team. And the GF was in our home state. To me, it just doesn't compare.

But the Prelim final win would have meant nothing if we had not beat the Swans.

Great date for the world Chicago old mate , your birth date , my birth date and the start of the 2nd world war :tired:
So you're exactly one year younger than me! I remember when I was only 65. *sigh* I presume you mentioned the three dates in order of importance? ;)

Our birthday is between Jack Trengove's and Easton Wood's birthdays. We do share the date with Callum Moore from Richmond. (Yuck. :poo:)

Good you brought Sheedy up.

In the lead up to the game the thought of his s**t stain of a manufactured club denying us made me furious.

When GWS were about to enter the comp he had the termerity to tell Victorian clubs “who had done nothing for 100 years that they were coming for your players.”

In the week leading up to the game he told the Victorian public to “get a life” as his Giants were taking all before them.

Screw that guy and lol that we beat this arrogant flogs club when it mattered most.

Extremely well said.

Have always hated Sheedy all the way from watching those filthy (although admittedly good) Essendon sides of his in the 80’s, 90’s and 2000’s - sniping, going in knees first at contests and belting players behind the play.

Absolutely no coincidence the “Giants” become filthy, dirty, arrogant flogs after being under Sheedy’s tutelage.

I actually neglected to mention in my long post about the greatness of this day that I walked past Sheedy at half time and gave him the finger.

He is a turd of biblical proportions and I wish him no end of misery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F*ck that moment Bont kicks that goal in the last.....still brings tears to this old soldier.

And that roar, I am biased but man our club can but out some pure guttural, tribalistic roar like no other.

I love this club.

The “Bulldogs!” chant after Bonti’s goal was the loudest I’ve ever heard at one of our games.

Heard some brilliant atmosphere at our game over the years - Western Oval, Finals, other big games - none was more spine chilling than that one.

I don’t think anything will ever match that month for Dogs supporters, whatever happens in the future.

Agreed, when* we win our next premierships** it won’t be as amazing as 2016. The drought, the Preliminary Final history, the teams we beat. What a way to win a premiership.

*Yes, I said when we win our next, not if. It will happen.

**And yes, I said premierships, plural. There’ll be more than one. :cool:

Have to admit i found myself rewatching the JJ to Bont goal on YouTube yesterday and it still brings me to tears every time.
Same with all those PF highlight vids - every one of them raises the heartrate. Clay's goals, Dicko outsmarting Shaw, the chain ending in Caleb's goal, Picko's smother and Libba's delivery to Macrae, the desperate last couple of minutes.

I think that in 500 years people will look back on this game as the defining moment for our species.
Hate to be dramatic mate, but the world will be over in about 25-30 years unfortunately.

The upside to that morbid prediction is that that the Prelim was the moment Civilisation peaked.

Hate to be dramatic mate, but the world will be over in about 25-30 years unfortunately.

The upside to that morbid prediction is that that the Prelim was the moment Civilisation peaked.

Nah it won't, cobber. 2016 was the turning point. When every footy fan across the country came together to support the Doggies against GWS we showed the world that humans are capable of putting their differences aside and coming together to defeat a common enemy. First it was GWS. Now it's Global Warming or Donald Trump or North Korean missiles or whatever your doomsday prediction may be; we will prevail.
As long as blokes like Bontempelli occupy this planet, there's no obstacle we can't overcome.

Last edited:
Nah it won't, cobber. 2016 was the turning point. When every footy fan across the country came together to support the Doggies against GWS we showed the world that humans are capable of putting their differences aside and coming together to support a common enemy. First it was GWS. Now it's Global Warming or Donald Trump or North Korean missiles or whatever your doomsday prediction may be; we will prevail.
As long as blokes like Bontempelli occupy this planet, there's no obstacle we can't overcome.
Nah mate, we will all be dead by 2037. Bookmark it.

Go Dogs!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back