Votes: 45 44.1%
  • Channel 7

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 26 25.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sort of on topic, so be gentle

I currently have an vintage early 2000's 32" HD CRT TV as my main viewing screen - 50kg plus !

Always loved the PQ and currently running with a Beyonwiz Tuner Recorder and an early Blu Ray via Component

Does everything except Netflix / Kayo streaming etc that I do through my PC

However it is slowly dying - 15 years not a bad life span

Will need to upgrade shortly to a new 4k Smart Panel

Only looking at 43" to 49"

Still watch a fair bit of FTA but likely to see more streaming due to ease of use of new panel

Opinions and feedback on current Brands / Models in this size range would greatly appreciated before I splash the cash

I know there's not a huge amount of options and I understand the VA / IPS panel debate

PQ / upscaling capability is my number 1 priority

Thanks !

Samsung - tick
Sony - tick
Panasonic - tick
LG - avoid
TCL - avoid
Soniq - avoid
Hisense - avoid
Palsonic - avoid
Teac - avoid
Hitatchi - avoid

Any of the first three will be fine. Just pick what you like and fits your price range, understand the more you pay the better you get but there is dimishing returns. Samsung have pretty damn great panels, but I think Sony have the edge with their UI/Software. LG can look nice, but their reliability is garbage. Many DOAs and failures early in life - the amount of returns i had to process on LG TVs wasn't a good selling point for them.

Don't get weird sizes like anything with a .5" in it, these are usually 'end of roll' panels and are unlikely to be of the same quality as the standard sizes. Go a 50" if you can at all. Sometimes the 49" and stuff are end of roll panels as well and you should try and favour a 50".

Just my two cents after 5 years in electronics sales and is by no means gospel. Others will have different opinions and experiences as is always the case with these things!

Last edited:
Samsung - tick
Sony - tick
Panasonic - tick
LG - avoid
TCL - avoid
Soniq - avoid
Hisense - avoid
Palsonic - avoid
Teac - avoid
Hitatchi - avoid

Any of the first three will be fine. Just pick what you like and fits your price range, understand the more you pay the better you get but there is dimishing returns. Samsung have pretty damn great panels, but I think Sony have the edge with their UI/Software. LG can look nice, but their reliability is garbage. Many DOAs and failures early in life - the amount of returns i had to process on LG TVs wasn't a good selling point for them.

Don't get weird sizes like anything with a .5" in it, these are usually 'end of roll' panels and are unlikely to be of the same quality as the standard sizes. Go a 50" if you can at all. Sometimes the 49" and stuff are end of roll panels as well and you should try and favour a 50".

Just my two cents after 5 years in electronics sales and is by no means gospel. Others will have different opinions and experiences as is always the case with these things!
I have an LG OLED 55" that is 4 years old, has had two panel replacements in its life so far, both under warranty.

Great TV, but agree about the reliability.

OLED is flipping great though. I can't tell the difference between 1080p on it and 4k on my mates Sony (I do need glasses though).

To get back to the original thread. Why would I want to pay $25.00 per month for Kayo on top of my FOXTEL Sports subscription? As Kayo is a FOXTEL spawn it will use the FOXTEL feed anyway and you cannot record off the Kayo feed like you can from FOXTEL Sports so if you want to record a game you will have to either record off free to air, if it is available, or FOXTEL.

Kayo looks like another way for FOXTEL to rip consumers off. i.e. Charge another $25 a month for a service you basically already have.

My information is based on the links below, maybe someone has more up to date information which makes Kayo a 'must have'?

https://www.finder.com.au/kayo-vs-foxtel

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/k...-hits-the-ground-running-20181127-p50inq.html

To get back to the original thread. Why would I want to pay $25.00 per month for Kayo on top of my FOXTEL Sports subscription? As Kayo is a FOXTEL spawn it will use the FOXTEL feed anyway and you cannot record off the Kayo feed like you can from FOXTEL Sports so if you want to record a game you will have to either record off free to air, if it is available, or FOXTEL.

Kayo looks like another way for FOXTEL to rip consumers off. i.e. Charge another $25 a month for a service you basically already have.

My information is based on the links below, maybe someone has more up to date information which makes Kayo a 'must have'?

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/k...-hits-the-ground-running-20181127-p50inq.html

I think you are a bit ill informed about it's capabilities. You can stream replays at any time, or if you rock up to a game 30minutes late you can start it from the beginning. Their is zero need to record anything as it's on demand.

No one here is suggesting you have both Kayo and Fox. That would be silly. The thing is Kayo is cheaper than having Foxtel, Fox Sports and the HD package.

If you are happy with Fox, then stay with it. Particularly if you use the other foxtel channels. I didn't so it's why I made the switch. Saves me a tonne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez, that is a bit narrow-minded! I imagine there are many Foxtel users that won't be interested in Kayo, but I am sure it is all about growing their customer base. What about all the NON Foxtel users? I am one, with just too many channels of nothingness, but I want access to my two favorite sports in AFL and F1 without paying an arm and a leg! Having used it, I am absolutely won over! I won't be renewing my AFL Live Pass, and gone are days of hunting for internet streams of F1.

I reckon many people in the same boat as me will consider moving to Kayo as well.

Geez, that is a bit narrow-minded! I imagine there are many Foxtel users that won't be interested in Kayo, but I am sure it is all about growing their customer base. What about all the NON Foxtel users? I am one, with just too many channels of nothingness, but I want access to my two favorite sports in AFL and F1 without paying an arm and a leg! Having used it, I am absolutely won over! I won't be renewing my AFL Live Pass, and gone are days of hunting for internet streams of F1.

I reckon many people in the same boat as me will consider moving to Kayo as well.
It's part of their exit strategy from cable. Streaming is where it's at.

I would go Kayo.

Im looking to get an Android TV box of some sort (thinking Nvidia Shield).

Does anyone have a Nvidia Shield? Can you get all of:
Netflix (can you use VPN through Shield to get American Netflix?)
ABC iView
SBS On Demand
9Now
7Plus
10Play
Youtube
Kayo (which I know isnt on Android TV yet?)

I like my catch up apps as I rarely watch shows when they are on, and would prefer to not have to use my phone to chromecast.

I would go Kayo.

Im looking to get an Android TV box of some sort (thinking Nvidia Shield).

Does anyone have a Nvidia Shield? Can you get all of:
Netflix (can you use VPN through Shield to get American Netflix?)
ABC iView
SBS On Demand
9Now
7Plus
10Play
Youtube
Kayo (which I know isnt on Android TV yet?)

I like my catch up apps as I rarely watch shows when they are on, and would prefer to not have to use my phone to chromecast.
Yea I have one & all that's on there plus more there is VPN app(s) but I haven't tried it with Netflix as yet.
Kayo app not available yet but it's coming plus the inbuilt chromecast seems a s**t load better than the regular Chromecast I used beforehand.
I really haven't explored it's gaming capabilities as yet but I'm very happy with it, I got a good deal when Ebay was having a tech sale so keep an eye out.

Smart TV's are dumb man wish I'd bought one sooner.

Yea I have one & all that's on there plus more there is VPN app(s) but I haven't tried it with Netflix as yet.
Kayo app not available yet but it's coming plus the inbuilt chromecast seems a s**t load better than the regular Chromecast I used beforehand.
I really haven't explored it's gaming capabilities as yet but I'm very happy with it, I got a good deal when Ebay was having a tech sale so keep an eye out.

Smart TV's are dumb man wish I'd bought one sooner.

Cool... Sold me on buying one :)

Just got one on ebay with 20% off... maybe could have got cheaper if waited and looked around, but happy with the price I paid.

Last edited:

I was asked a question about whether I would use Kayo and I answered from my perspective. As I already pay $20.00 per month for Foxtel Sport I would find it hard to justify spending another $25.00 per month for basically the same feed. I do not see anything narrow minded in that and I suspect many other FOXTEL subscribers will see it that way.

In your case you do not have FOXTEL so Kayo is a cheaper alternative and I can see why it would appeal and if I did not have a FOXTEL multi package I would probably consider Kayo.

I have to self disclose and admit that I am anti Murdoch and Telstra even though I am a long standing customer of both. As Newscorp has a 65% stake in FOXTEL and Telstra owns the rest I am probably too biased for my own good and have a natural aversion to paying these people any more money than I have to. Murdoch and Telstra now there is a match made in hell.

Sort of on topic, so be gentle

I currently have an vintage early 2000's 32" HD CRT TV as my main viewing screen - 50kg plus !

Always loved the PQ and currently running with a Beyonwiz Tuner Recorder and an early Blu Ray via Component

Does everything except Netflix / Kayo streaming etc that I do through my PC

However it is slowly dying - 15 years not a bad life span

Will need to upgrade shortly to a new 4k Smart Panel

Only looking at 43" to 49"

Still watch a fair bit of FTA but likely to see more streaming due to ease of use of new panel

Opinions and feedback on current Brands / Models in this size range would greatly appreciated before I splash the cash

I know there's not a huge amount of options and I understand the VA / IPS panel debate

PQ / upscaling capability is my number 1 priority

Thanks !
There's no competition... LG OLEDs. Do your research, you'll see.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Cool... Sold me on buying one :)

Just got one on ebay with 20% off... maybe could have got cheaper if waited and looked around, but happy with the price I paid.
Just a heads up there is no 9Now & SBS on Demand app on there yet sorry I just assumed as I haven't installed a lot on it, the rest is all there I'm sure they'll be added at some point as I don't reckon ABC iView was there initially until I did an update.

.... I have to self disclose and admit that I am anti Murdoch and Telstra even though I am a long standing customer of both. As Newscorp has a 65% stake in FOXTEL and Telstra owns the rest I am probably too biased for my own good and have a natural aversion to paying these people any more money than I have to. Murdoch and Telstra now there is a match made in hell.
No problems, everyone has a different set of circumstances & needs. I am in your corner on the last part. Only give these guys my hard-earned when I absolutely have no other choice!

I haven't got kayo yet but talking to a mate, it sounds fantastic. Here's some cool stuff about it:

- Dual screens (2 sports at once)
- Watch live games from the start if you come in late
- Can watch goals / highlights on the fly ( marked in playback bar)
- Vast array of documentaries available on demand
- Recent content available at ease (easy on demand access)
- Quality of streams consistent and excellent

Sounds like a no brainer to me.

That's my favourite part of it so far. So glad something like this has finally come along.
Once they get Smart TV apps, it'll become even better.

There's no competition... LG OLEDs. Do your research, you'll see.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I trust you as a spokesman more than their previous guy!
3aeecaa5b1bd150b62af524a06162860.jpg

Back