Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

Want him playing from round 1.... he’s ready to play the big time
Only person he could replace is Broad.
Rance, Grimes, Ashbury and Vlastuin are locks if fit, then we need two smaller rebounding players, which Garthwaite isn't.
There's not really room for him unless someone is injured.
I agree he is ready, but who's spot does he take?

Astbury leaving as a free agency is not totally out of the equation at the end of the year,If he has a great year and remains injury free he will get very good coin his way to move

Collingwood & Hawthorn will be desperate to sure up their backline and have been known to go after mature KPB to fill needs
3 x $750k is not totally out of the question and i dont believe we will match or get close enough to it

Astbury & Ellis could be both gone in 2020 and Richmond get 2 end of first round picks ;)

Sam Taylor & Jacob Hopper - Common down to Tigerland :thumbsu:

Astbury leaving as a free agency is not totally out of the equation at the end of the year,If he has a great year and remains injury free he will get very good coin his way to move

Collingwood & Hawthorn will be desperate to sure up their backline and have been known to go after mature KPB to fill needs
3 x $750k is not totally out of the question and i dont believe we will match or get close enough to it

Astbury & Ellis could be both gone in 2020 and Richmond get 2 end of first round picks ;)

I just cant see Dave exercising FA and would sign for much less. IMHO this is the least likely event.

Astbury will never leave Tigerland.Bookmark it.

So did I at first, but the idea that's he's grown significantly it seems to have grown legs (so to speak) and is just a waste of time and needs to be shot down for the sake of those not following intently on the 'in joke'.

Seems he's in the Gourdis/Post/McBean school of BF circle jerk over the 'potential' of a player who is clearly not upto it (As evidenced by him being our 5th or 6th best 'tall' defender right now).
1547329316834.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rance, Grimes, Ashbury and Vlastuin are locks if fit, then we need two smaller rebounding players, which Garthwaite isn't.

Grimes maybe 190 plus but his role is that of a small and hes as good as any small defensve player going around.
The effect of this is we only have Rance and Astbury playing tall and there is definately room for one more.

To me it really is a simple exercise of having Rance play third tall, he provides heaps of rebound as it is and we can then afford to play one of Garthwaite or Balta in Rances spot.

Lets talk successful teams. We have had two dynasty"s in recent times Hawthorn and Geelong. Plus the teams who won a premiership in and around these two.
Every team has had at least three players 190cm or above. Only one Sydney in 2012 had more than one genuine small player in their back half.

Even the maligned Bulldogs team for height in 2016 had kpp's missing thru injury but still managed to play three blokes 190cm plus and they had Easton wood a medium sized player who punched way above his height the only small they had in the g/f was the rebounding Johannison at 180cm.

Even our own team Astbury, Rance, Grimes, Broad all above 190cm then we had Flossy a good sized medium at 187 and the only small was the rebounding Houli.
Three or four talls in the back half is very much the norm and it really is an exception to have more than one small.

In later yrs Geelong used Scarlett as a third tall to great effect why cant we do the same with Rance.

Grimes maybe 190 plus but his role is that of a small and hes as good as any small defensve player going around.
The effect of this is we only have Rance and Astbury playing tall and there is definately room for one more.

To me it really is a simple exercise of having Rance play third tall, he provides heaps of rebound as it is and we can then afford to play one of Garthwaite or Balta in Rances spot.
I love Grimes as much as anyone, he's a star. But he's lock down with not much offensive output and he can play tall, medium or small, incredibly versatile.

I just think with Grimes, Astbury, Rance, Vlastuin and Garthwaite we may be a little bit too "top heavy". That only leaves room for one genuine offensive smaller defender/rebounder which would be Short.
Is that the optimal 6 man defence balance for us? Despite the quality of the players, I'm not sure.

I love Grimes as much as anyone, he's a star. But he's lock down with not much offensive output and he can play tall, medium or small, incredibly versatile.

I just think with Grimes, Astbury, Rance, Vlastuin and Garthwaite we may be a little bit too "top heavy". That only leaves room for one genuine offensive smaller defender/rebounder which would be Short.
Is that the optimal 6 man defence balance for us? Despite the quality of the players, I'm not sure.
We only had one in 2017 anmd that was Houli and we won a premiership. Id be even happier to keep the back 5 of Broad, Grimes Astbury, Rance Vlastuin and replace Houli with a tall like Grant Birchall.

Fair dinkum sides just dont pick too many small players in the back half not successful ones at least.

Have a look at the weagles last yr

Sheppard 187cm, McGovern 196, Barass 194, Schofield 196 schofield provides them with drive, Hurn 187cm and a whopping 95kg, Duggan a medium and the smallest player in the backhalf at 184cm. Yeo the yr before played h/b made A/A at 190CM. Tom Cole,Jackson Nelson al nice sized mediums also went thru there..They dont need to be small to provide your side with what ever it needs. Theres a strong case that smalls in the back half can leave you vulnerable.
The Taller rangy players actually give you far mor options if they can also do the job of the small player. Just being a small rebounder is not enough in todays game.

We only had one in 2017 anmd that was Houli and we won a premiership. Id be even happier to keep the back 5 of Broad, Grimes Astbury, Rance Vlastuin and replace Houli with a tall like Grant Birchall.

Fair dinkum sides just dont pick too many small players in the back half not successful ones at least.

Have a look at the weagles last yr

Sheppard 187cm, McGovern 196, Barass 194, Schofield 196 schofield provides them with drive, Hurn 187cm and a whopping 95kg, Duggan a medium and the smallest player in the backhalf at 184cm. Yeo the yr before played h/b made A/A at 190CM. Tom Cole,Jackson Nelson al nice sized mediums also went thru there..They dont need to be small to provide your side with what ever it needs. Theres a strong case that smalls in the back half can leave you vulnerable.
The Taller rangy players actually give you far mor options if they can also do the job of the small player. Just being a small rebounder is not enough in todays game.
Look I don't necessarily disagree with everything your saying, if it balances the defence defensively and offensively it could work, but I just think it might be a bit too top heavy and lack run, run is generally what the smaller guys provide, as a general rule. Astbury, Grimes, Garthwaite and Vlastuin don't provide that. Rance could and should, he should be playing loose wherever possible.

We have been playing 7/8 defenders so you can have Short and Houli in the 22...

You are right it might be too big however in the past the defensive set up has looked a bit small against big forward lines IMO; Pies, WCE

Rance is best when he can play loose

:thumbsu:

Probably broad but I wouldn’t be surprised if he replaces Astbury tbh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back