Analysis Tale of the tape for your AFL team in 2019: Richmond

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes but then every other team is in that very same boat...
Prolly not in that big of a bother as possibly last year...this year we have a few more options to play around with...
Soldo, Balta, CCJ, maybe TLynch in the forward line...then there's Grigg!
I wouldn't want any of those playing 1st ruck to be honest.Soldo next in line but Balta and CCJ way off imo

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
I wouldn't want any of those playing 1st ruck to be honest.Soldo next in line but Balta and CCJ way off imo
Options mate...options till Nanks gets back into the side if, heaven forbid he sustains an injury!, options...options...
More than last year i reckon...

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Options mate...options till Nanks gets back into the side if, heaven forbid he sustains an injury!, options...options...
More than last year i reckon...
Balta and CCJ too young, it's rare for 20yo's to play first ruck, too likely to get out muscled and injured.

will be playing for the bum**** 2s in 2020

Possibly. If CCJ is as good as they say I can't see Soldo having a job with us in the long run. Might be worth trying him out for a few games this year to improve his tradability.

But if CCJ is genuinely that good and Nank is still young and uninjured then Soldo is back to the backup. Goodbye, but likely to another AFL club.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
I know one thing, if Nank goes down, we're in a bit of bother.
Its interesting with a lot of areas on our list.
Take all the talls for instance. we have 6 very experienced talls and Broad whos played 30 games making 7 players.
These 7 players are starting 22 so what happens if we cop a run of injuries to three or four of our talls which happens regularly to teams.
In terms of Experience or games played and Maturity or age then the cupboard is bare if injuries hit.
Everyone and his dog talks about getting players somewhere between 50 and 100 games before they really mature as players.this is probably more true for talls than other types.

Our 7 regular tall players outside of mids. they are starting 22 and the only one thats debatable is Broad.

Riewoldt 249gms, 30yrs
Rance 199gms, 29yrs.
Lynch 131gms, 26ys.
Grimes 127gms, 27yrs
Astbury 107gms, 28yrs.
Nankervis 59gms, 24yrs.
Broad 30gms, 25yrs

So what is left what happens if we do get a run of injuries to 3 or 4 of these blokes.

Moore 8gms,22yrs.
Soldo 8gms, 22yrs.
Garthwaite 2gms, 20yrs
Chol 1gms, 22yrs.
Balta 0gms, 19yrs.
CC-J 0gms,19yrs.
Miller 0gms, 19yrs

One question that hits me is, in terms of experience/maturity do we drop away more than other sides in this.I think we do.

If we lose our ruckman Nankervis there is only Soldo, CC-J and possibly Chol.A whopping 9 games between them and an average age of 21yrs.Its similar if not worse in the fwd and defensive areas.
I have to ask what sides drop away more trhan us in this.

Imo as a club we really need to find a way to get games into these kids regardless of how we are travelling.

There is one other option to look at in the future. That is to say Nankervis is not good enough gets badly shown up against the better ruckmen going around and actually aim at finding our own Grundy or Gawn who are sole ruckmen week in week out.

When has Lynch ever even as a pinch hitter gone into the ruck. He may be 199cm but he just doesnt play ruck hes a damn fine kpf and that is what he will play as.
Nankervis done a number on Grundy in the first game and I think that was probably the worst thing that could have happened.
You just can’t play the role he does all season I don’t believe.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
Nankervis done a number on Grundy in the first game and I think that was probably the worst thing that could have happened.
You just can’t play the role he does all season I don’t believe.
Hardly a number Rodney they both had very good games. Both got heaps of the ball 29 and 24 disposals each Grundy still won the ruck contest on the day quite comfortably and Nankervis shaded Grundy around the ground.

Hardly a number Rodney they both had very good games. Both got heaps of the ball 29 and 24 disposals each Grundy still won the ruck contest on the day quite comfortably and Nankervis shaded Grundy around the ground.
Mate we won because Nankervis destroyed Grundy in the last quarter. It was one of the most dominant last quarters from a Ruckman I can ever recall, and as good as he was Grundy was just plain ordinary in the same term. I’m sure Nank would have got the three that day he’d have had to. BOG by a mile.
Point I’m making is that it lulled our coaching staff into a false sense. The PF is not round 7 or whatever it was.

Anyway mopsy im agreeing with what you say just using this to illustrate the point. We’d have been better off being truly exposed by Grundy on that particular day rather than Nank getting 3 Brownlow votes.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Playing the pies and eagles will need 2 rucks, so this will be interesting how we play it.
The question is.Do we show our hand inparticular against the Pies or Wait until finals? West Coast oddly enough i'm confident we can beat them here with any combo.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
The question is.Do we show our hand inparticular against the Pies or Wait until finals? West Coast oddly enough i'm confident we can beat them here with any combo.
Far as I am concerned, with the new draw it's up to the wobbles to repeat their PF game against us...
No pressure...I'm sure we'll trial a few strategies/players during the year in preparation for Finals...

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Far as I am concerned, with the new draw it's up to the wobbles to repeat their PF game against us...
No pressure...I'm sure we'll trial a few strategies/players during the year in preparation for Finals...
Yep.I think the side still has some flag credits left.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Hmm we cant play two ruckmen because what second ruck options we have dont offer enough either as a ruckman or around the ground.
Someone here said last yr when talking about tall fwds, why would you play a tall fwd who is not up standard when you can play a smaller player who may do a different role but is up to standard.We should not be playing any one just for the sake of them being a certain type that we lack but arent good enough for the standard.

We play Nankervis despite him being carved up in ruck contests most weeks!!!!! but he does give a decent contest and he gives us enough when the ball hits the ground and around the ground.
When he comes up against more agile blokes like Grundy and Gwn then he becomes a real liability because these blokes dont only beat him in the ruck but hurt him at the contest and around the ground.

I have posted this many times.
Watching Nank vs Gawn, Grundy, Nic Nat is bad, but it is what it is
He is a liability that is being exploited, man up on all opposition Mids
No point in hoping he wins the tap, anticipate him losing or at very least halve the contest
1) In the PF I think it was Treloeur who was alone near boundary, Grundy tapped to him and they're away
2) Again PF Grundy runs in quicker than Nank in last Q, no one near, grabs ball snaps goal
Nank is a stop gap for when CCJ comes along, CCJ is our long term future, there is no denying this (even the club knows this I believe)
I have said he can't ruck 95% like say Grundy, Gawn and Nic Nat can
Nank sorry to say doesn't offer anything in our fwd line either, People been saying Grigg got found out this year, but I think Nank more so
Against say Pies, Demons, WC, we adopt a defensive structure with our Mids towards their Mids
Man up tight and try to negate their run as they know their ruck will win and will set up accordingly
If Nank is our No1 ruck after 2020 we are ****ed
Go Tigers

ivansarmy

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
No point in hoping he wins the tap, anticipate him losing or at very least halve the contest
1) In the PF I think it was Treloeur who was alone near boundary, Grundy tapped to him and they're away
2) Again PF Grundy runs in quicker than Nank in last Q, no one near, grabs ball snaps goal
Nank is a stop gap for when CCJ comes along, CCJ is our long term future, there is no denying this (even the club knows this I believe)
Nank sorry to say doesn't offer anything in our fwd line either, People been saying Grigg got found out this year, but I think Nank more so
Against say Pies, Demons, WC, we adopt a defensive structure with our Mids towards their Mids
Man up tight and try to negate their run as they know their ruck will win and will set up accordingly
If Nank is our No1 ruck after 2020 we are ******
Go Tigers

I agree he gets monstered by Gawn, Grundy and Nic Nat but so do everyone else. Coleman-Jones is 1cm taller than Nank so even when he is in his prime I think he’d have the same problems against these guys. Nank is a very good player and a premiership ruckman that had no other ruckman helping him! Yes he has limitations but there are a lot of teams that would love to have him and while he can’t dominate the hit outs he makes up for it in other areas. I think calling him a stop gap is very harsh and if Coleman-Jones is equal the player Nank is we would all be happy.

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
It'll be interesting to see how we deal with this in 2019.

Maybe we'll use a hybrid (Balta, Chol) to see how that works. Maybe the young back up rucks, CCJ or Soldo will play a fair bit. Maybe just Nank. But we've seen that exploited by teams with top notch rucks. I don't think our coaching group is stuck on things. They adapt and learn.
If Chol is a Ruckman then Carlton is a Premiership threat in 2019

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
If Nank is our No1 ruck after 2020 we are ******
Go Tigers
Was CCJ drafted as a genuine full time ruck? Whete is he being played in the magoos?

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I agree he gets monstered by Gawn, Grundy and Nic Nat but so do everyone else. Coleman-Jones is 1cm taller than Nank so even when he is in his prime I think he’d have the same problems against these guys. Nank is a very good player and a premiership ruckman that had no other ruckman helping him! Yes he has limitations but there are a lot of teams that would love to have him and while he can’t dominate the hit outs he makes up for it in other areas. I think calling him a stop gap is very harsh and if Coleman-Jones is equal the player Nank is we would all be happy.

Yeah agree to a point, everyone bar Jack i'd say had a shocker in 2018 PF
But I do see a little of I.Maric in him, and can see CCJ being groomed to take over in 2020
Nank will never be a 700 + HO ruckman, not tall enough, which is the goal i'd say of a top notch ruck
Nic Nat is 29, Gawn is 28, Grundy is 25 as is Nank
Nic Nat is 201 cm 110 kg, Gawn is 208 cm 109 kg, Grundy is 203 cm 102 kg and Nank is 199 cm 102 kg which is on the small side
His last 2 years disposal ave is about the same as Grundy, Gawn even Nic Nat
But what goes south (last 2 years) is HO ave, Gawn 40, Grundy 35, Nic Nat around 30 ( no 2017, half 2018 injured)
Granted Nank has had only 2 full seasons 2017, 2018 both with Tigers, his is 22 HO ave, which is bad
It's just an opinion, regardless he is a premiership ruckman which he can hang his hat on
I just cant see us going fwd with an undersize ruck as everyone else is going oversize
Even if CCJ is only 1-2cm higher that is 25mm-50mm of more reach, Soldo(23yo in 8 gms HO ave 22) 204 cm 106 kg has 125mm more reach
My own opinion, is that Nank wont be able to compete at the pointy end of the season, where it counts the most,
where we are striving to be every year

Back