Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Weitering
2. Burton
3. Oliver (I know everyone here faps over him, and he has been excellent as a 2nd year player, but he's a less effective version of Tom Mitchell - check their metres gained and handballing % statistics to see what I mean and I think his ceiling will be about that of Tom Mitchell)
4. Hipwood
5. Parish
6. Hopper
7. Curnow
8. Kennedy
9. Schache
10. Mills

LOL

Richmond won the flag with one key forward. Never been done before as far as I know

Then finished first, with the same side. Rioli contributed in more than a handful of games.

The Saints and Essendon being more or less rubbish the last two seasons isn't the key part of the discussion but its a fairly important factor in the comparison - a lot less pressure in these dead rubber games

1997. Matthew Robran at CHF, no other key forward at all. Most goals kicked by a midfielder and a bloke that played half back all year. Our 2nd ruck sat on the bench when not rucking, not much of a footballer was Aaron Keating.

1997. Matthew Robran at CHF, no other key forward at all. Most goals kicked by a midfielder and a bloke that played half back all year. Our 2nd ruck sat on the bench when not rucking, not much of a footballer was Aaron Keating.

Great wiki page:

Aaron Keating (born 24 May 1974) is a former Australian rules footballer who played in the Australian Football League (AFL) and the South Australian National Football League (SANFL). His six-game AFL career included the 1997 premiership.

After a run of injury and the suspension of David Pittman prior to the 1997 AFL Preliminary Final, Adelaide Crows coach Malcolm Blight called up Keating from the Norwood reserves side. Keating subsequently played in the Premiership for Adelaide in just his third AFL match. A week later, Keating played in a Premiership for his SANFL club Norwood.[1]

Keating's brother Clark is a former AFL player who won three premierships with the Brisbane Lions.

Great wiki page:

Aaron Keating (born 24 May 1974) is a former Australian rules footballer who played in the Australian Football League (AFL) and the South Australian National Football League (SANFL). His six-game AFL career included the 1997 premiership.

After a run of injury and the suspension of David Pittman prior to the 1997 AFL Preliminary Final, Adelaide Crows coach Malcolm Blight called up Keating from the Norwood reserves side. Keating subsequently played in the Premiership for Adelaide in just his third AFL match. A week later, Keating played in a Premiership for his SANFL club Norwood.[1]

Keating's brother Clark is a former AFL player who won three premierships with the Brisbane Lions.

He was actually pretty important though. Rehn wasn’t on top early and getting that breather allowed us to not get too far back and for Rehn to dominate further as the game wore on. “Pathetic Pittman” did an admirable job on Buckets Loewe at centre half back. Might have been a different result had Spider not done his shoulder a week or so earlier though.

Strange post. Weitering had an off year, but his talent is undeniable, Curnow was an inspired selection, people are sleeping on McKay who's stats compare well to Hipwood for example, and Jack has out performed many taken ahead of him, and almost all after in the ND.

Cunningham's the only fail for me and that's alright.

Tackles is the main stat for small forwards and Rioli is the best in the business.Also Rioli is a big game player and Gresham yet to be tested yet.I may have underrated Gresham, but Rioli is the prototype small forward, let's review this thread in round 12 to see how much Rioli has improved with a proper pre-season.
Gresh has kicked bags vs good sides and match winning goals.

Gresh is a match winner and has stood up in big moments.

Richmond won the flag with one key forward. Never been done before as far as I know

Then finished first, with the same side. Rioli contributed in more than a handful of games.

The Saints and Essendon being more or less rubbish the last two seasons isn't the key part of the discussion but its a fairly important factor in the comparison - a lot less pressure in these dead rubber games
Bulldogs won it with none.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well you've only been watching the game with more than a passing interest since mid 2017 so can't say I blame you for thinking that.

First small forward line. Essentially the same thing.

Jack 193
Townsend 187
Caddy 186
Butler 182
George 181
Rioli 179

+

Edwards 182
Lambert 178

IF Richmond goes on to win the premiership, it will be on the back of an unconventional structure that has literally caught oppositions flat-footed: the 1-5 forward line. Richmond’s small forward line — in which Jack Riewoldt is the solitary tall target — has weaponised an attack that contains no other elite player (albeit Daniel Rioli has elite talent). It has given the Tigers superior front-half speed, which, in turn, has given them a potent method for both scoring and defending.

The Tigers only have to win two more games with this unorthodox set-up of Riewoldt flanked by Rioli, Dan Butler, Jason Castagna, the mid-sized Jacob Townsend and a rotating midfielder. In all likelihood, this one tall and five medium/smalls structure won’t be sustainable from next year, as rivals work out how to negate and exploit it.

jAKE NIALL@FoxSports

Derm was a little more on the money last week when explaining Richmond’s point of difference – it’s frenzied, suffocating forward pressure. On the eve of the finals, former coach Danny Frawley questioned whether such a small forward line could stand in September. But it was their superior endurance, Brereton wrote, that allowed them to run and bludgeon their opponents into the ground. They had deliberately targeted good middle distance runners, players like Jason Castagna, Daniel Rioli, Dan Butler and Kane Lambert. Throw Jacob Townsend and Jack Graham into the mix – guys we’d barely heard of six weeks ago – and you have an irresistible and strangely intimidating force.

.theguardian

After the incredible victory, Richmond's Kane Lambert praised his fellow forwards' ability to defy the odds. "We wanted to apply as much pressure as we can, as we have done all year, we knew if we could do that we could eventually crack them," Lambert told ESPN amid the pandemonium in the Tigers' changerooms. "We've gone small all year, we've had no keys [apart from Riewoldt] but we just played to our strengths and that's speed and pressure.

It [the small forward line] has worked, hasn't it? Throughout the whole year, we've been told we're too small without a second key forward but blokes have had a willingness to play selfless roles - Jacob Townsend, Josh Caddy ... and Jack Riewoldt has been unbelievable," the ex-Swan said post-match.

espn

Last edited:
Yet Oliver eclispises him in every stat. He was also AA this year. I’ll be surprised if Sier is AA in next 2 years. I just can’t find the excitement stats though.

Did you miss this bit?

Sier is 191cm and 88 kg his first 12 games @ 19.5 d and 10.6 cp
Oliver is 187 and 83 kg his first 13 games @ 19.2 d and 9.5 cp
Maybe we should revisit this in a years time.

These are Siers excitement stats comparing their respective first seasons with a very similar amount of games.

Did you miss this bit?

Sier is 191cm and 88 kg his first 12 games @ 19.5 d and 10.6 cp
Oliver is 187 and 83 kg his first 13 games @ 19.2 d and 9.5 cp
Maybe we should revisit this in a years time.

These are Siers excitement stats comparing their respective first seasons with a very similar amount of games.
Totally fair comparing an 18 year old with a player who by then had two full pre-seasons under his belt.

Whatever, but when some flog wants to create his own dialogue I have the right of response.
Both 2015 draft and games played almost the same, so where does he eclipse him in every stat?

Totally fair is acknowledging calling two full preseasons is also bullshit, for a player that has had a fair injury history.
Played 18 vfl games in 2 seasons 16/17. Plus his only exposure to TAC cup system is 2 games, just school footy outside of that.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back