Player Watch #30 Tom McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom McCartin.jpg
Tom McCartin

Player Profile

In an indication of Tom McCartin’s rapid rise, the young Sydney Swans forward had played 34 AFL games by the end of his teenage years – and that was despite being the youngest player in the league in his debut 2018 season. The Geelong Falcons product has a brilliant marking ability and presents a tall target inside 50, although coach John Longmire has also used him as a key defender. McCartin is the younger brother of number one 2014 AFL Draft pick Paddy, who played 35 AFL games with St Kilda.

Tom McCartin

DOB: 30 December 1999
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: St Joseph's (Vic)/St Joseph's, Geel (Vic)/Geel Gram (Vic)/Geel U18

Last edited by a moderator:
That mark deep in defence in front of Gawn and Sinclair was terrific, so was that contested grab on the wing in the first half. He's a very, very good 18-year-old.

A bit of a throw back to the days when boys were playing at 16 and 17. He still cops a bit of criticism for not doing enough, or kicking enough goals, bit given he's playing the Reid role almost as good as Reid, I'm not complaining.

Given Nick Blakey is joining the team next year and he's just about AFL ready now, Sam Reid's going to find plenty of competition for his spot.

That mark deep in defence in front of Gawn and Sinclair was terrific, so was that contested grab on the wing in the first half. He's a very, very good 18-year-old.

A bit of a throw back to the days when boys were playing at 16 and 17. He still cops a bit of criticism for not doing enough, or kicking enough goals, bit given he's playing the Reid role almost as good as Reid, I'm not complaining.

Given Nick Blakey is joining the team next year and he's just about AFL ready now, Sam Reid's going to find plenty of competition for his spot.

Reid might become a more regular defender

In the injury room?

Reid might become a more regular defender
I've said this many times in the Reid thread, but I love his work up the ground being a link man between the 50m arcs. Has exceptionally quick hands in close for a big man.

But this is the McCartin thread and he has been great and improving throughout the season. He might not be having as much scoreboard impact as people might like, but his ability to lead strong and hard to the wings repeatedly and be a legitimate option is incredibly important for our structures. Got a good future with the Swans for sure!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Locked in until 2021! Good work hopefully works on his kicking and continues to develop strongly!

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-09-17/mccartin-locked-in

I really hope his pre season is going well and time has been found for him to practice goal kicking.

It has been a very long time since we have had such a promising young tall forward. Maybe the last time I was so enthusiastic about a debut season was that of a young Terry Daniher. (Well documented of course was the idiot Stewart trading him for Nev Fields - so I was really delighted we signed him up, proving that Horse is smarter than Stewart)

McCartin and Daniher share some attributes - sticky hands, good on the ground, determination in the contest, team orientation, good vision imagination and footy smarts, ability to run for long periods, not being overawed by anyone, enjoying physicality inc tackling).

TD was not spectacular - other than in his consistency. I think TM will be the same. (tho my favourite Bloods goal of the season was TM lying on the ground getting possession and scrambling a miracle drop kick goal)

Most of us in the best 22 thread have him outside calculations for selection. I do not. I have him in the frame and expect he will play a lot of solid games for us in 2019.

Assuming Menzel gets games, it is imperative that every other forward especially the talls are highly mobile. The Menzel limitations re defensive pressure are well documented but these are balanced by his attacking attributes.

I am concerned by the notion of playing both Naismith and Sinkers with the latter as a fwd/ruck. A forward line of Buddy, Reid, Sinkers, Menzel and two rotating small forwards (from Ronke, Papley, Parker, Hewey, Haylist etc) strikes me as top heavy. McCartin will be able to get to and make contests that Sinkers can not

With a second pre-season and the addition of Reid and Menzel to the forward line, TM would provide another reliable target and the pack busting work horse every successful forward line would like.

I am really looking forward to his further development this year and believe he will be integral to our prospects of success. I am interested in other people's views.

Mccartin should be best 22 to start the year I agree, better than bambi

Come on. He might be less injury prone but I can't think of one way to argue Reid is not a better player than McCartin.

I suspect McCartin will end up a more accomplished player but right now it's not even close.

Come on. He might be less injury prone but I can't think of one way to argue Reid is not a better player than McCartin.

I suspect McCartin will end up a more accomplished player but right now it's not even close.

I think there is room for both. Each offers different strengths to the mix and provide viable alternative targets to Buddy.

What’s Reid done really? Mostly sat on the sidelines

What’s Reid done really? Mostly sat on the sidelines

Had a better first season....so I ask what has Tom done compared to Sam?

Comparing first full seasons

1547434512096.png

Comparing Reid's career stats vs McCartin's first season

1547434740100.png

Really I understand Sam has missed long periods of time but to say Tom is better is just not true yet on any metric other than fitness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back