Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the squad picked I'd run with the following line up for the Gabba Test.

Harris
Renshaw
Khawaja
Burns
Heads
Labuschagna
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

Renshaw doesn't have the runs on the board recently but I feel he is a long term opener for the Test team. Pukovski looks really good but I do have concerns on the lack of leadership and maturity in this team so I left him out.

Not a fan of us not changing up the bowlers a bit. I don't see much value in Siddle playing and would have preferred Richardson or Tremain to be given his spot.
Nice.

I’d probably roll the same given the names

I think the most important thing that I’d like to see against SL is a revitalised approach to our batting. We need to learn to build partnerships and develop some staying power. I think with Burns and hopefully Renshaw in the side we will get that stability. Renshaw is a classic test match ‘boring’ batsman, and we are crying out for that. I’d like to see him open with Harris with Burns at 3 and Usman at 4. I’d probably slot Labuschagne at 5 followed by Head.

I don’t think we need Pucovski right now.

Renshaw should never have been dropped and he needs an opportunity pre England to salvage his career.

Probably need a spinning AR/batsman, so a Travis Head type probably. Don't see Wade going, if they want an extra keeper, just take Carey. Wade as keeper is a big NO. Bancroft will be there is some shape or form. One of teh few in the country that can play a genuine test match innings
yeah I thought about the spinning all rounder as we probably will take one, but I just don't think there's any real need for one. if we do, I hope its not Head. I cant have him in the side, don't like his batting style for test cricket and his bowling is pure trash anyway. reckon he would be a failure over there.
we usually do take a back up keeper option to England though don't we? one option we do have that I wouldn't mind, is taking Bancroft instead of Wade and let him keep in the unlikely event that Paine goes down injured.

yeah I thought about the spinning all rounder as we probably will take one, but I just don't think there's any real need for one. if we do, I hope its not Head. I cant have him in the side, don't like his batting style for test cricket and his bowling is pure trash anyway. reckon he would be a failure over there.
we usually do take a back up keeper option to England though don't we? one option we do have that I wouldn't mind, is taking Bancroft instead of Wade and let him keep in the unlikely event that Paine goes down injured.

Bancroft keeping would be a mile better than Wade doing it. I’m still having nightmares on Wade keeping in a test match. On an Ashes your we usually take a spare keeper and that will be Alex Carey anyway. Bancroft would be in my side in English conditions

This is the current batting group we have:
Openers- Renshaw (11 tests), Finch (5 tests), Burns (16 tests), Bancroft (8 tests), Harris (3 tests)
Middle Order- Labuschagne (2 tests), M. Marsh (31 tests), S. Marsh (37 tests), Khawaja (38 tests), Head (5 tests), Handscomb (15 tests)

Could we use this series just to sort the players out and find which ones should be thrown away? Instead of trying new blood, let's just clear the deadwood by giving them a last few chances.
Well I’d be loathe to rule out the following at all, irrespective of the series;

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja
Harris
Finch
Bancroft - although I’d have him nowhere near test contention just yet
Finch - maybe deserves a go at 6
Head
Labuschagne

Both Marsh brothers are done at test level in my opinion. If there is an obsession with an all rounder, look at Henriques or Neser

Well I’d be loathe to rule out the following at all, irrespective of the series;

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja
Harris
Finch
Bancroft - although I’d have him nowhere near test contention just yet
Finch - maybe deserves a go at 6
Head
Labuschagne

Both Marsh brothers are done at test level in my opinion. If there is an obsession with an all rounder, look at Henriques or Neser
Mitch Marsh is a whole lot better than Henriques and still better than Neser, even though Neser is barely even classified as an all-rounder

Mitch Marsh is a whole lot better than Henriques and still better than Neser, even though Neser is barely even classified as an all-rounder
Hmmmm, don't know about that, Marsh's test numbers are flat out woeful and Henriques is averaging 42 this season in shield cricket. Neser i'd rate as an all rounder in England if they had to absolutely have one (which they don't and shouldn't mind you).

Yet he has a worse test record than Harris, Burns, Renshaw and of course Warner

I'm not sure where he fits in

I'd easily play him ahead of Burns in England. Need guys who can graft a test match innings and play time. I am far from convinced on Burns unless he's in the middle order

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet he has a worse test record than Harris, Burns, Renshaw and of course Warner

I'm not sure where he fits in
Renshaw and Burns got runs early, then struggled, Bancroft struggled, then started to get better. I don't see much between any of them and I think he's a much better long-term prospect than Harris. I'd be happy for him to come back in at 6.

Renshaw and Burns got runs early, then struggled, Bancroft struggled, then started to get better. I don't see much between any of them and I think he's a much better long-term prospect than Harris. I'd be happy for him to come back in at 6.

Same, not saying he'll be as good but we could do worse than trial Bancroft to be a Hussey-type at 5 or 6. We have a number or opening options.

I'd easily play him ahead of Burns in England. Need guys who can graft a test match innings and play time. I am far from convinced on Burns unless he's in the middle order

Bancroft couldn't make runs on the Australian roads v the English attack but he will do better in tougher conditions?

Bancroft couldn't make runs on the Australian roads v the English attack but he will do better in tougher conditions?

Yes, feel he was just starting to play better especially in South Africa. Time will tell. Have faith in Bancroft but would rather him at 5 or 6.

His test record was nothing special anyway so unlike Smith and Warner he needs big runs in the shield to have any shot of an ashes berth, it's not an easy road back for him but other players who have actually scored test tons had to earn their spots back in domestic cricket and so will bancroft.

One very poor series and one decent series without a ton aren't enough to see him go up the pecking order not when 4 other potential openers will be in the mix for the ashes.

If Smith, Warner and Bancroft all play the England fans are going to be working overtime.

Bancroft will most likely never play test cricket for Australia again. Nor should he. You don't throw teammates under the bus and reverse over them a dozen times when you're caught cheating.
Don't really know how you can say he won't play tests again again. If he performs well at Shield level, he will be in the mix. Not necessarily for the Ashes I hope, but he's 26. Time is on his side.

Bancroft will most likely never play test cricket for Australia again. Nor should he. You don't throw teammates under the bus and reverse over them a dozen times when you're caught cheating.
I’ve seen several people complain about Bancroft throwing Warner under the bus.

It’s amusing seeing as how, after it happened, the public seemed all too happy to lay 90% of the blame on Warner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back